Hey everyone. I have a pedalboard that contains half a dozen effects. I’ve noticed that a lot of people incorporate an expression pedal into their rig. But I’ve been wondering-

Is an expression pedal actually that necessary?

Who here uses an expression pedal? Why would you need an expression pedal when you already have an amp? There’s also preamps and other units that already give a good boost.

I’ve seen many use the BOSS EV-5 expression pedal. But is it a must?

Thanks, guys.
an expression pedal in conjunction with what? you dont NEED one, but if the effects you use call for an expression pedal, then you need one. none of my pedals are even compatible with Expression Pedals.
I personally use my expression pedal for effect purposes. Many effect pedals have an jack for one that controls certain parameters of the effect; such as volume, delay time, distortion amount, etc.
"but i don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here."
~lewis carroll
Quote by hydriplex
I personally use my expression pedal for effect purposes. Many effect pedals have an jack for one that controls certain parameters of the effect; such as volume, delay time, distortion amount, etc.

Which pedals do you have that you need the expression pedal for?
Quote by Jericho-79

Err, wouldnt it seem logical to have an expression pedla for Wah or volume? at least..
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by Jericho-79
I actually just have a multi-effects with a built in expression. But many of the Boss pedals have the input, such as the phase shifter.

Quote by bartdevil_metal
That is amazing, I will definitely pick one up and give it a go.
"but i don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here."
~lewis carroll
the boss phase shifter doesn't need and expression pedal by any means. phaser you set the rate of the phase, and it does it's thing. only things a person would really want to control via a pedal would be volume (hence a volume pedal, or pitch shifting or something, such as the digitech whammy pedal. connecting an expression pedal to a pedal isn't used by most guitarists.
Quote by Jericho-79
But what if you have like 7 pedals on your pedalboard? Then you'll have to get 7 separate Third Hands, right?

What do you think you'd have to do with expression pedals? And you don't need expression on everything. Some stuff, like compression, drive etc. is set and forget...