As many people know, tube screamers are the most popular boost/overdrive pedals on the market today. Id like to reserve this thread to talk about alternatives to tube screamers. So who has some ideas?
JEMini distortion. Ibanez, so it has a godly overdrive for channel 1, and channel 2 is a great distortion.

Otherwise, really there aren't many non-boutique that can compete with a Tubescreamer. Once you try it you don't look back on lesser OD pedals.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 9, 2008,
Fulltone ocd, fulltone fulldrive 2, keeley modded versions, butler tube driver, carl martins' stuff, catlin bread silver kiss, mi audio tube driver. Pretty much anything boutique is gonna kick it's ass.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Fulltone ocd, fulltone fulldrive 2, keeley modded versions, butler tube driver, carl martins' stuff, catlin bread silver kiss, mi audio tube driver. Pretty much anything boutique is gonna kick it's ass.

+1 oh and congrats on ur new amp
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by weetadsftw
+1 oh and congrats on ur new amp

Thanks man.

Oh, I should note, the list goes on.

I'm not dissing the TS, building one yourself from byoc or ggg can net you a very nice pedal for 60-80 dollars, but thinking the ts is the best is a bit silly.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Anything boutique? What about the Divided by 13 Joyride?
^Never heard of it. I was just listing what I could think of off the top of my head.
There are lots of very nice pedals out there made by boutique companies like Barber, Fulltone, and T'Rex, but most of them are more or less clones of tubescreamers. I like the t'rex stuff personally but i have a TS9 bc i was on budget.......
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by ronco05
try a danelectro daddy o . it rules.

I believe the OP is looking for better.
The TS has its uses, I mean, it makes a pretty good blues overdrive. That's what I use mine for when I don't want to crank my amp. I don't really like using it as a boost, it's not really transparent enough and colors the amp's tone a little too much for my liking.

The fulltone OCD is a good overdrive, the Zvex box of rock is also very good. The box of rock has a great transparent clean boost as well.
The green screamer doesn't have the mid hump, but I didn't think it was as clear sounding compared to the ts808 I built.
Quote by Kevin Saale

the tubescreamer does what it does well. I currently use two boutique overdrives but neither sound very much like a tubescreamer.
Quote by protech487
the tubescreamer does what it does well. I currently use two boutique overdrives but neither sound very much like a tubescreamer.

Does that make them worse? If you want a heavy mid hump and a little bit of dirt in your boost the TS808 is great. I'm not bashing the 808, I just think there are better pedals. If you want a transparent boost, or something more suited for stand alone gain then its not the best IMO.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Does that make them worse? If you want a heavy mid hump and a little bit of dirt in your boost the TS808 is great. I'm not bashing the 808, I just think there are better pedals. If you want a transparent boost, or something more suited for stand alone gain then its not the best IMO.

I agree there are better boost pedals. After owning different overdrives I kinda miss the tone of the tubescreamer for a smoother overdrive. I've did a lot of reading on these tubescreamers. Seems like the maxon od9 is your best one out of the TS's.
Quote by protech487
I agree there are better boost pedals. After owning different overdrives I kinda miss the tone of the tubescreamer for a smoother overdrive. I've did a lot of reading on these tubescreamers. Seems like the maxon od9 is your best one out of the TS's.

I've never actually played a production TS of any kind, only the ones I've built from BYOC and GGG. I like the one I have from GGG, I removed the mid hump and added some bass response. I lowered the amount of gain you have when you set the drive knob to 0 as well. I also used LEDs for the clipping section though I'm thinking about switching the clipping to the original specs
Well, a lot of the boutique drives you listed are actually only slightly modified versions of the tube screamer itself.

That being said, they still probably sound better
Boss Blues Driver....pretty much a TubeScreamer in a blue box. A Bad Monkey is also a cheap alternative as well.

But anyway, how do you define better, or an alternative than a TS? The TS is the TS, and other things are what they are. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what gear you like best for your sound, not because it's a substitute or boutique version of another pedal.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I haven't played anything better than my TS-808, but that might be because it is a really old one from the 80s.

when people say "really old, from the 80s" it makes me feel really old because im from the eighties.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
ive always wanted to know how to use a tube screamer as like a lead boost like arch enemy. its not hard when not using much distortion but i want to use 1 in my metal band nechesh for solos and lead work. any help or settings wud be nice =D
im planning on upgrading my ts-9 for a fulltone ocd so i guess i'll have to go with fulltone ocd

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.