Hello. I just bought an Ibanez SR505 this morning after wanting it for a long time (GASing?) and I plan on tuning it to BEADG and EADGC. I was going to have two different sets of strings to use for each tuning and I wanted to know if
constantly changing the strings would do bad things for the neck or other part of the bass.
I'd be changing between tunings maybe 3 times a week.

Also, I play about 3-4 hours a day normally. Does anybody know how often I would be changing my battery? I know they last long if I keep my bass unplugged, but I was just curious.

Thank you.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
It won't warp the neck, the neck will only warp if you leave strings off the bass for a few weeks. You'll only have to do minor truss rod adjustments because of the change in tension on the neck.

At that amount of playing, every few months. or until the bass starts losing volume, distorting, etc.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Thank you.

About the battery, you mentioned distortion.
There is a bit of distortion if I pluck hard enough, is that just the nature of the pickups, Bartolini MK1's, or because of the battery life. I don't mind it at all, just curious about this also.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
That's nothing to do with the battery life, that's natural overdrive. It's the signal being driven too hard into the amp, and is clipping as a result. If you want to get rid of it, turn the gain down. But if you like that sort of growliness to your tone, I suggest a tube amp and lots of gain.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
The best thing about a guitar neck is that it very rarely goes bad. not very often do you ever hear of a neck that can't be fixed, so even if you ward it a little, take it to a guy in a year and have it tinkered with.
Ah alright, thanks a lot.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by fleajr_1412
It won't warp the neck, the neck will only warp if you leave strings off the bass for a few weeks. You'll only have to do minor truss rod adjustments because of the change in tension on the neck.

At that amount of playing, every few months. or until the bass starts losing volume, distorting, etc.

Complete myth. Every neck will warp eventually no matter what you do with it- it's just the nature of wood and how it reacts with itself. Leaving your strings off for weeks will not cause it to warp.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=979769&highlight=warping A bit of discussion on the subject.
On the Ibanez battery question. Most Ibanez basses will begin to lose a bit of the low end as the battery begins to die and then distort and completely go dead.

I find that with a decent amount of play, a fresh 9 v will last about 9 months on a typical Ibanez bass.
I'd like to note that constantly changing the strings may but extra wear and tear on the strings. Not sure but it might.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I don't know about the neck, but constantly changing between two separate string gauges won't work. the nut (the thing right between the headstock and the fretboard that the strings pass through) has holes drilled in it. in the case of your bass (and most 5 strings) it is meant for strings tuned BEADG. If your put strings for tuning EADGC in, they will rattle like crazy. The only thing I can think of is to get really light gauge BEADG strings, the thinest you can find, and then tune up to EADGC when you need to. Of course, they will still be super tight, and that will put strain on the neck, but I guess it will work
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Going back and re-reading your original post got me thinking. Ibanez necks are on the thin side and honestly, every time I've changed string gauge on my SR800, I've had to get the allen wrench out and do a bit of neck adjustment. Its not fatal, but necessary due to fret buzz issues. Maybe its just my SR800, but something to be aware of.
I definitely don't mind readjusting the neck since I'd be doing this at home not in an environment with others. I Expected to.

The tightness of the strings is what I was going to avoid by having two sets. Will they really rattle that much? Enough to affect my sound?

Thank you for your inputs.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E