So I am looking for a new half-stack and I went into guitar center today (the peice of shit hellhole) and I saw a Peavey 5150 and I tried it out. Now, I'm looking for an amp thats goes from Hendrix-type low-gain clean (think castles made of sand or hey joe) to a Page mid-gain (the ocean, heartbreaker) to Rhoads-type high gain (Over the mountian, flying high again). I tried a Plexi re-issue and it was PERFECT for what I want, however, the amp was on 10 the whole time and it was too loud. So I'm looking for an amp that will do higher-gain type stuff at a lower volume and lower gain type stuff a higher volume. Anyway, I tried it out and it came really close to what I'm looking for. I just have a few questions. I was asked to keep the post gain on 1 for each channel so I do not know how much gain the post gain adds. Is it a lot or is it just basically a volume control? Second, how loud does the clean channel get before it starts to break up? Any help would be appriciated or any advice for a different amp i could get would help.
For what you're playing, a 5150 would not be really good. 5150s are voiced for hi-gain very heavy modern style metal most of the time.

What is your budget?
I stopped reading a Hendrix

Although the 5150 is more versatile than people think, it's not what you're looking for.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Although the 5150 is more versatile than people think, it's not what you're looking for.

+1
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
AC30 maybe?

Def NOT a 5150.

Orange can do it, maybe a JCM 800 as well.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
^^^Would be a pretty good choice, I didn't like the lower gain sounds as much when I had one, but they're not bad.

^^I think either of those would be perfect with an OD, or maybe a distortion + for the rhoads type stuff.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
They've definitely got that british rock voicing he's looking for. Coupled with an OD you've got the tone for rhoads right there.
Jcm800?
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!