I have decided to build another guitar. I can't decide whether I should make or buy a body though. Ideally I want something pretty unique, but I don't have access to large machines to route the body. Is there any way to sculpt the body using inexpensive tools/machinery?
I could just buy a body, but obviously it wouldn't be quite so unique!

Is there any good sites (other than ebay- already checked) that sell relatively cheap, interesting bodies in the uk? I've had a look and all I can find is the same ol strat/tele crap!

Please help!
Quote by J_Producer
I have decided to build another guitar. I can't decide whether I should make or buy a body though. Ideally I want something pretty unique, but I don't have access to large machines to route the body. Is there any way to sculpt the body using inexpensive tools/machinery?
I could just buy a body, but obviously it wouldn't be quite so unique!

Is there any good sites (other than ebay- already checked) that sell relatively cheap, interesting bodies in the uk? I've had a look and all I can find is the same ol strat/tele crap!

Please help!
you could even get by without pickup routing, if you use shallow pickups like dog-ear P-90's. but you MUST have decent equipment to make the neck pocket, or you won't be able to have a good interface between neck and body.

but the overall shape of the body could be done with nothing more than a bandsaw and rasps, files, etc. it will take longer, but it can be done.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
they sell router attachments for dremel tools
i just cut the rough shape of the body with a jig saw and then sanded down the contours with the dremel and a shitload of different sanders
Quote by smb
Further proof, if proof were needed, that Bill Gates planned 9/11 with Elvis.
warmoth sells a pre routed body blank
it has all the pup, bridge, neck etc spaces pre routed all you have to do is cut the outline
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
i wouldnt buy a body, really you might as well go to a pawn shop get a cheap guitar with good wood and get new hardware, pickups, and paint if you want( and if some hardware is ok keep it) it would be cheaper than buying a body and it comes with a neck too

but if you have a jigsaw and sander you can make your own (which i recommend most) then you do watever you want with it and make it look really cool
wow warmoth is PERFECT! its sucks they're from the US though...although they ship internationally, it would cost quite a bit to have it shipped to the UK. Is there a UK shop like Warmoth?

Thanks for all the help, I think it would be best for me to buy a body and customise it with the paint job/electronics etc. But yeah pleeeease let there be a UK equivalent of Warmoth!

EDIT: Srv, Yeah I would love to design and make my own body, but I don't have access to a jigsaw/band saw/belt sander
Last edited by J_Producer at Nov 9, 2008,