Page 1 of 2
I've been playing since Apr '08 (7 months) and I feel like I suck. Like, I wanna be really fast and accurate and play thrash and whatnot, but I can't seem to get past Am pentatonic Blues.....So........What's up?
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Quote by <SpaceTime>
I've been playing since Apr '08 (7 months) and I feel like I suck. Like, I wanna be really fast and accurate and play thrash and whatnot, but I can't seem to get past Am pentatonic Blues.....So........What's up?

1 - You do suck. Just like everyone else in the world.

2 - It takes years of focussed practice to attain any kind of level of speed so don't worry about it or force it, just focus on playing accurately and make progression whenever you can.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You suck because you've only been playing 7 months. It takes a lot longer than that to get really good, you just need to keep practicing and keep at it and you'll improve over time.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - You do suck. Just like everyone else in the world.

2 - It takes years of focussed practice to attain any kind of level of speed so don't worry about it or force it, just focus on playing accurately and make progression whenever you can.

Okay, explain to me then how I walk into guitar center and there are 10 year olds playing "Enter Sandman" (not just the intro, wah solo as well) and when I ask tem there like, "ya this is easy shit, ive been playin for 3 months and i can like play along with every Dragonforce solo", and then they show me just that.
Ive been playing for 3 years and dont even know what an am pentatonic blues is...
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by <SpaceTime>
Okay, explain to me then how I walk into guitar center and there are 10 year olds playing "Enter Sandman" (not just the intro, wah solo as well) and when I ask tem there like, "ya this is easy shit, ive been playin for 3 months and i can like play along with every Dragonforce solo", and then they show me just that.

Easy. Naturally gifted.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by <SpaceTime>

1. They are lying.
2 Tapping is not hard, my little brother can do it, and he doesn't even play.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by <SpaceTime>

This. It's experience.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
That must be bullshit, the 10 year olds were lying or something,
One the other hand, it may be possible since younger kids learn much faster than grown ups.
Quote by 365_days_gone
Ive been playing for 3 years and dont even know what an am pentatonic blues is...

your lies only make it worse
7 months isnt a whole lot of time when it comes to guitar. Everybody wants to be fast etc. But it takes alot of work and time to get to that point. To get really good your gonna need to find the time for 3 or more hours a day of practice minimum. And your gonna need to work on some other scales than pentatonic minor. You need to find something new to work on each day may be something small. That ends up being 365 new things a year if you practice everyday. And dont listen to kids at GC 10 year olds playing 3 months arent going be playing dragonforce, unless they are one of the few who are just naturals. And the odds of finding several of them at 1 time in 1 place are pretty small.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Nov 9, 2008,
Quote by <SpaceTime>

everyone learns at a different pace. also, i bet they sound like shit. herman li cant even play his own songs properly. i doubt some 10 year old wannabe rock star can either.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Quote by black_sabbath85
That must be bullshit, the 10 year olds were lying or something,
One the other hand, it may be possible since younger kids learn much faster than grown ups.

Another good point.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by <SpaceTime>

r they asian?

theyre probably lying about how long theyve been playing, and they r probably using so much distortion that u cant tell that they r ****in up every other note
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Quote by <SpaceTime>

They suck worse than everyone else, if they can play those kinds of leads they are probably A - playing them terribly or B - lacking in other areas.

I'll qualify what I said a bit: it takes a long time to develop that kind of speed and still come out the other side as a half decent musician.

I still say you shouldn't worry or even think about how well other people can play, people progress at different rates and there's no short cuts to becoming a decent player.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by <SpaceTime>

As you become better, you are better able to critique others peoples playing (I'm not saying to judge, but to simply critique). Right now, those 10-year olds must seem like pretty good players. Well, most likely, there not.

You have been playing for 7 months. And you suck. So does most everyone at that stage. Hell, I didn't advance beyond Smoke on the Water for a year. But I kept playing and now I am far better, able to consider myself a proper musician.

Just keep playing. Eventually, you will see how bad those 10-year olds were. All it takes is dedication and a love for guitar. Thats what seperates "ZOMG i palyZZ GUitaRRRSS wAnna seez my Squier" from "An Eb13 would be a good chord for that progression". If you truly love guitar, than you will keep playing and get better and better.

/epic speech
you suck because you're wasting your time posting about ur suckage when you should be practicing to lessen your suckage. really dude just take your time and be smart about practicing and be dedicated. give it another year you won't regret it
dude, ive been playing coming onto 7 years..im reading books on scales and such, as i skipped it all, went covering loads of songs trying to pick stuff up from that..
i can play stuff, not as well as i could play if i study scales and practise modes etc..

near 7 years..i can sweep pick 6 string, i can tap with 3 fingers...yet im unable to show you like the c major scale..which will get me flamed and burnt in this forum...but its true! I know nothing about theory..

Plus, you dont suck, just have learning to do, i used to suck ass..and still do in a way, but i was happy playing what i liked...
i am making the next year or so learning scales, modes, ways of mixing and matching so i can write my own material and actually have some musical theory behind it.

All i really can say is practise! I get shown up by LOADS of people, but i just think, I was lazy, should really have learnt more about music than jump in, but i can always catch up
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by slayer1516
As you become better, you are better able to critique others peoples playing (I'm not saying to judge, but to simply critique). Right now, those 10-year olds must seem like pretty good players. Well, most likely, there not.

You have been playing for 7 months. And you suck. So does most everyone at that stage. Hell, I didn't advance beyond Smoke on the Water for a year. But I kept playing and now I am far better, able to consider myself a proper musician.

Just keep playing. Eventually, you will see how bad those 10-year olds were. All it takes is dedication and a love for guitar. Thats what seperates "ZOMG i palyZZ GUitaRRRSS wAnna seez my Squier" from "An Eb13 would be a good chord for that progression". If you truly love guitar, than you will keep playing and get better and better.

/epic speech

That's what I needed to hear.
Practice More
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Quote by <SpaceTime>

well you already know more than i do about scales, seeing i only know one scale, which i cant remember the name of, but dont worry, most people aren't that great until they have been playing for at least two years, i suck too. I still cant play a lot of solos.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by lespaul#1
1. They are lying.
2 Tapping is not hard, my little brother can do it, and he doesn't even play.

is the correct way to tap really as simple as it looks, just hold one note and tap another one with the pick or your finger, i think ive been doing it wrong whenever i do attempt a tapping solo.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
ive been playing roughly the same amount of time. even ppl that've been playing for 7-10 years suck compared to people who've been playing for 20 and so on. just embrace it, thats what i do. im prepared to suck for a really really long time, but im okay with that
Quote by <SpaceTime>

there 10.... that means there lying
For a whole year all I knew was

C, C9, D, D7, Am, E

It'll come, don't force yourself /far/ beyond what you're currently at otherwise you'll think you suck because you can't play arpeggios at 250BPM and switch between the shapes super fast.

Take it easy, learn some Neil Young and Johnny Cash and relax
i've been playin 7 years and i'm still strivin to get up to that speed i hear from the Satchmonster......oh well...another 50 years of hard practice...and you never know.....7 months isn't enough for anything.
as you keep playing, you will get to know the fretboard. spend time practicing scales. it will get you used to different 'formations' to use when you're playing solos. it's the same as getting to know a new neighborhood. it seems difficult at first, but once you're used to it, you know it like the back of you hand. at that point, you'll get alot faster because you will be able to naturally navigate the fretboard. at that point, you'll be able to use your finger speed.

those 10 year old probably played that song and only that song for the whole time the played guitar. i knew a guy who could rock out stairway to heaven. i thought he was so good, but then realized he didn't know anything else.
what
7 months? there's your problem. Just keep at it, patience is a virtue. If you really want skills, it isn't all in technique. While you're building up your fingerwork, you should start looking into theory. Modes will be invaluable when you can shred. When you get your alternate picking up to par, learn speedpicking, sweeping, and all that.

If you have a good sense of commitment, you could master all that in a few years.

...bahah, 7 months... kids nowadays.

EDIT: forgot. Also, put aside alot of time every day to practice. And I don't mean playing the same thing over and over, I mean improvement.

Speaking of which, why the hell are you wasting free time on this forum right now if you don't like where you're at guitar wise? go practice
Last edited by GeneralGrim at Nov 10, 2008,
i think alot of people get this perception that guitar playing is really simple, and it can be very complex. Most of the people who think its simple dont know hardly anything about it. Its a craft that is damn near impossible to master because you can always improve. Dont listen to the people who play for 2 years, learn powerchords, some angus young solos and think their top shit. Dont rush it, just have fun with it. I dont care who you are you cant just pick up a guitar and jump into Angel of Death. you got to crawl before you can run.

or else this could happen. Dont listen to people like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBiu0Uf1RCA
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at Nov 10, 2008,
Practice.........the right way.
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
Quote by <SpaceTime>

Because when you just start guitar, everyone seems talented.

I used to hear kids play a shitty version of Blink 182's "What's my Age Again?" and I would just die.
How could they be so good?!

As you get better, you'll realise that they were playing it badly.
If they WERE infact playing it well, they're just better than you. Deal with it.
Practise more.
Member of the Laney Cult
Practice. That is all that is gonna make you better. Play guitar with other people, especially players that are better than you and willing to help you. Watch other players that are better than you. Just practice and before long you will not be saying that you suck.
lol You expect to be able to shred after 7 months? I hope you're a prodigy guitarist of some kind because if you aren't going to do that unless you are. You won't be able to shred and play fast after that minimal amount of playing time. It usually takes about a year of playing before guitarists can start actually soloing accurately at mediocre speeds, then after that you need to increase speed while staying accurate and learn new techniques for playing fast which is harder than the first year's work.

To answer your question, yes you do suck as of now. No guitarist that's played for 7 months can be considered "good", at least not matched up to other guitarists in all experience ranges. Maybe you can be "good" for a guitarist that's only had 7 months of play time but not "good" in general.

You will continue to suck at least for another 6 months and you have to constantly push yourself to get better if you really expect to play well.
Heck, I've been learning for 7 weeks that's alot more better than me,

Achieving:
The A Minor and Major chords perfected because I've been doing the same thing for those 3 months.
The E Minor and Major chords are the same as above
and I've finished learning D, C, and G now I'm learning power chords which i **** up when switching but i figured tabs out by myself on the 7th week how coool am i.... not

Anyway hope you get better and those kids i can do the same sound as Hand of blood in a random casual rock tone they're probably just strumming whatever they can like i do.
Last edited by Mazz211 at Nov 10, 2008,
Took me two years to get a good shred.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
10 year olds is load of shit, they are obviously lying or as many said have so much distortion on that u cant tell what the **** there playing. + ull get better dw, i go though Phases all the time where i will not progress for a month or two then suddenly improve dramatically to the point where i can tell the difference. If ur anything like me this will be the case (and ull be incredibly sexified)
A few months into playing I was just like you, all frustrated cos I couldn't play fast ( I still can't ). I nearly gave up guitar. I've been playing one and a half years now (yeah short time I know) and I'm not worried about speed anymore, I just wanna make my own music, learn rhythm man, learn some theory, learn to play by ear, learn to improvise in various keys, and learn rhythm again lol. Anway be patient you'll get there someday if you keep on trying.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Last edited by the_wayward_one at Nov 10, 2008,
I've never taken any formal classes and I'd say that I'm decent, I tried learning tabs WAY passed my skill level and forced myself to do it. Now I've gotten sweeping down pretty well, now I'm playing a lot of classical guitar, I SUCK at fingerpicking and I don't know shit about music theory, I envy you know even what a AM Penatonic or whatever is

I've been playing like 3 years, with HUGE "breaks"(months at a time) in between
Page 1 of 2