I'm trying to learn shred and when practicing chromatic runs i noticed my pinky flares quite a bit (2inches) when going up and down....

is this bad?

if so, how should i fix it? I'm consiously aware of it but even when trying to do it properly i can't...
Quote by mashedpotatoes
What do you mean "flares"? Two inches sounds bad...

like it flares out (sticks out)

it's more of a problem when im going from high to low, than low to high.

but say im doing

4-3-2-1

as i move from 1 to 4 my pinky sticks up further and further and i can't stop it, then when i move to the next string my pinky is flared out so it takes longer to hit the 1 on the next string (i don't notice it but i'm assuming that it takes longer, logically... and i don't want it to slow me down as i get better...)
okay i'll stop being a jerk. does it impair your playing in any way, or does it just look funny?

edit, so it does impair your playing.
Quote by Rogue Hermit
okay i'll stop being a jerk. does it impair your playing in any way, or does it just look funny?

edit, so it does impair your playing.

i'm not actually sure if it impairs my playing, or to what extent it does. But yea i just don't want it to affect me later down the road so i'm wondering if it's ok, or if it's bad/uncommon...
Quote by -themask-
I'm trying to learn shred and when practicing chromatic runs i noticed my pinky flares quite a bit (2inches) when going up and down....

is this bad?

if so, how should i fix it? I'm consiously aware of it but even when trying to do it properly i can't...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhhyrnINIU

/thread.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i just tried what you were talking about and i noticed it a little bit in my own pinky too. i don't think it's a big deal, because it didn't seem to slow me down at all. as long as it doesn't slow you down now, i don't think it will be a problem later.
Quote by -themask-
THANK YOU!

is that you in the vids btw??

Oh no, it's Freepower, one of the mods in the AT/Shred forums.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.