Ok so my band is ready to record one of our songs and it has a harmonized guitar line in it. I've dabbled in harmony recordings before, but they never line up and it sounds terrible.

They want to record the drums first, then the bass, then the guitars, but I am afraid that if we don't record the guitars first then I won't be able to line the harmonies up without making them sound like absolute sh*t.

So what I'm asking is: what is the easiest, most efficent way to record guitar harmonies with one guitarist?
What Ive always done is just recorded my main guitar parts first, then played them through ear phones and play and record the harmony
well you want to record the drums first, to keep the tempo. Bass doesnt really matter, the guitar should be recorded after the drums. If you really need to just hear the guitar mute the other tracks. I usually do some panning when working with harmonies, off center each guitar.

There are no set rules, thats just how i do it.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
if u cant play in time you shouldn't be recording at all. I never record bands until they can play in time with both each other in their rehearsal, and in time with a click track. I'd just be wasting both mine and their time by taking on a job to record a low quality performance.

learn to play your parts inside out, learn to play with a click, and then consider recording.
I agree with most of Hadeed, except the bit about the click. The click comes down to whether the *drummer* is used to working with a click. If s/he isn't, then the drums will be off, and as a result, the whole band will be off. You'll get a better performance if you just let the drummer go and have everyone else play in time with the drums. Of course, if the tempo on the drums fluctuates too much, it will be a train wreck anyways.

If the drummer is used to playing with a click, then that's the way to go. It makes the editing stage SOOOO much easier and time efficient.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
What we did was I played bass (we didn't have a bassist at the time) and the other guitarist played into GuitarRig. The vocalist also sang. All of that went straight into the drummers headphones.

We then went to guitar(the bass was already done since we recorded it while tracking the drums) while we had the drums, bass,guide guitar and vocals coming through our headphones. It's simple as that.

If you can't get it during practice then don't record it when you are paying.
Quote by 3rdActguitarist
Ok so my band is ready to record one of our songs and it has a harmonized guitar line in it. I've dabbled in harmony recordings before, but they never line up and it sounds terrible.

They want to record the drums first, then the bass, then the guitars, but I am afraid that if we don't record the guitars first then I won't be able to line the harmonies up without making them sound like absolute sh*t.

So what I'm asking is: what is the easiest, most efficent way to record guitar harmonies with one guitarist?

You could try a pitch correction software such as Rolands' V-Vocal...
works on most audio and comes standard in most Cakewalk Sonar sequencers.

Lay down the main guitar line and double it, then change the pitch of the second track and trim it to fit. It should line up dead on however you may want to add some delay and EQ to get a different tone to the sound.

I tend to record drums to a click track, followed by rhythm guitar, then Bass...
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 10, 2008,
Yer, firstly record your drums to set your tempo.
Then record your melody guitar over the drums, then record you harmony over the melody.
Then add your bass as it may complicate things if you add it after the drums.
There should be no problem with timing if you can hear the other tracks through headphones.
If you stuff up or get out of time, its up to you to keep making recordings untill you get it right.
Check my profile...