Well guys i just started a band and i have been looking at artist that i want to base my material off of. I like Trivium, Ozzy with Rhoads, Pantera, Ratt, Paul Gilbert, and Avenged Sevenfold. I was wondering if you guys could give me scales or maybe stuff they do in solos and some rythm stuff they do.
learn the modes of the major scale, the modes of the melodic minor scale, and the modes of the harmonic minor scale. Learn how to use chromatics tastefully.

As far as techniques go, down picking, alternate picking, sweep picking, pinch harmonics, tapping, and good vibrato are what you need to know how to do.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by sxymnky777
try being original and not basing your music off of somebody elses

This
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Go to youtube or something and watch some instructional videos, Ive learned some great techniques to practice and they're good for inspiration. A lot of good licks are really simple patterns played really fast, and doing that just takes practice and dedication. And remember, don't be afraid to express yourself musically, try to record everything you come up with or write it down or something, so that you can use it in a song or work off of it and come up with different riffs.
Quote by sxymnky777

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/influence

Anyways, here are some generalizations of said bands:

(New) A7X: Natural Minor, heavy use of B2 and b5, and lead lines harmonized by thirds.

(New) Trivium: Heavy use of harmonic minor, lots of thrash influences.

Old A7X and Trivium: Basic metalcore. Lots of chugging with catchy choruses.

Pantera: Very slow, droning, evil riffs. Heavy chromaticism.

Rhoads: Classical style mixed with old heavy metal. Study old classical songs and Judas Priest/Iron Maiden songs (as well as his) to get an idea of his style.

I don't listen to/haven't heard of the other bands listed, but hopes this helps you.
Quote by Austyn6661

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dontbeacock

You usually don't have to ask other people what your influences are.

edit: I honestly wasn't trying to be an asshole. But come on, don't try to base songs you write on one someone else wrote. Learn scales, and learn how they work.
Last edited by sxymnky777 at Nov 9, 2008,
Quote by sxymnky777

Originality for the sake of originality is ridiculous.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by sxymnky777

Interestingly, most players cut their teeth on "somebody else's" music, and still develop their own unique, original style.

Quote by guitarLover79
Well guys i just started a band and i have been looking at artist that i want to base my material off of. I like Trivium, Ozzy with Rhoads, Pantera, Ratt, Paul Gilbert, and Avenged Sevenfold. I was wondering if you guys could give me scales or maybe stuff they do in solos and some rythm stuff they do.

Why don't you just learn some of their music?

Then find out what "scales or maybe stuff they do in solos and some rythm stuff they do" .
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 9, 2008,
Maybe if you start of by covering songs in the style you're going for, before writing your own music. Also, there are a plethora of Paul Gilbert videos and lessons on youtube.
Quote by Myung-trucci
More notes per second=more emotion per second.
There's this awesome thing in the corner called the search button. I'm sure you'll find something about scales there.

And to the people who dismiss anything with "be original", take heed of your own advice. I've heard it countless times before. OP is looking for help to understand sounds of bands he likes, what's wrong with that?
^ Agreed. You need to be able to understand why a particular sonic choice was made before you can attempt to move forward with it. If you don't do that, you're either just imitating them or ignoring them completely. There's already enough imitation as it is, and it's kind of hard to be metal if you ignore Ozzy.
You can't be original lmao.

Even if u write a sick crazy weird out of scale lick. There will be some guy in a trailer somewhere who already played it.

To be original, u need something which is totally not pleaseant to the ear, then it's most likely noone has yet played it. But since people already did atonal music and "noise" genre, even this is not posssible.

Even if u play random notes accros the fretboard with a stick. Someone probably has done that already.

Someone here please tell me what ur definition is of "original"

This smells of, "when it's been on Mtv" It isn't original anymore;
So as long a certain lick/progression/song is not mainstream or popular/well known (yet) it's original?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 10, 2008,
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

Try this site, it's really good if you just want to learn scales. It also has chords, arpeggios, and a ton of stuff you can learn. It's a good reference to look at, and with enough practice you'll be able to stay in key and go all over the neck.

And I think cover music is awesome. Playing music written by guitar legends helps you build techniques and styles similar to your interests. And awesome cover bands slay!
i like to listen and study other peoples music because i think itmolds you into a better guitarist
Quote by guitarLover79
ok but i just was wondering like the scales they use and what they do in their rythms

Learning the scale they used isnt going to do shit for you im afraid. You need to learn music theory and understand how to apply a scale for it to be of any use.

Heres what i recommend.
1. develop your technique by learning songs of the bands you mentioned. Read freepowers lesson on this site about proper practice and make sure your practicing correctly.

2. Go to musictheory.net start at lesson #1 and learn about scales their contruction starting with the major scale. Then continue and learn about music.

If you arent prepared to work hard your not going anywhere period. No magic scale is going to make you sound like randy rhoads. Go practice a song or and start reading lessons or buy guitar hero for your xbox and give up.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Learning the scale they used isnt going to do shit for you im afraid. You need to learn music theory and understand how to apply a scale for it to be of any use.

Heres what i recommend.
1. develop your technique by learning songs of the bands you mentioned. Read freepowers lesson on this site about proper practice and make sure your practicing correctly.

2. Go to musictheory.net start at lesson #1 and learn about scales their contruction starting with the major scale. Then continue and learn about music.

If you arent prepared to work hard your not going anywhere period. No magic scale is going to make you sound like randy rhoads. Go practice a song or and start reading lessons or buy guitar hero for your xbox and give up.

Don't say **** like that, many newbie guitarists nowadays may've been inspired by Guitar Hero/Rock Band to pick up a guitar/drums and learn to play, I know I was, they've done much more good then harm to the music community, so don't make arrogant jackass comments like that, there is nothing wrong with playing GH/RB and the way you said that makes you look like an elistist asshole.
The comment was definatly a ball busting remark dont get your panties in a bunch over a joke. If you call me an asshole Ill agree with you. The main point was theres no easy road and no scale is going to help him. If he wants to be a muscian he should start playing songs and learning music. Telling him use the harmonic minor isnt going to do anything for him so i was being honest. Theres no short cuts to sounding like or writing like randy rhoads. Me personally i have very little time and could never justify playing guitar hero when i could be doing something productive. I play COD4 because i cant shoot people in the face in real life.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Nov 10, 2008,
basically learn as much scales and modes as possible
use palm muting
use 'metal' techniques eg: sweep picking, galloping etc
Practise alternate picking until your solos are fluid as poo

Now you are ready
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
Just because its a joke doesn't make it any less annoying or jackass...y...

If someone made a joke about the Holocaust, no big deal because its a joke, right? Wrong, its still rude and tasteless.
Wow did you just compare making fun of guitar hero to making fun of the holocaust? Biggest overreaction in history. I dont even have a problem with gh I think its great for those with no time or patience to learn to play an instrument that still want to feel like they are. I dont care if you play it 24hours a day your only ****ing yourself.
Who said that just because you're playing GH you're not learning an instrument? I play GH and RB alot and I still play guitar and drums, infact, I'd go as far to say as RB Drums actually help with real drums to a degree, though thats not really GH related.

Also comparing making fun and GH and making fun of the Holocaust doesn't matter, I'm just using something you'd understand as an example, what the example is doesn't matter in context to the conversation its used in.

Also, I'm sure the TC wouldn't like us crowding his topic with an arguement, so lets just agree to disagree and drop the subject.
There's nothing wrong with trying to start by playing like others. If you learn from guitarists who sound like what you want to sound like, you'll in turn start sounding like what you want to sound like. That's called "influences," every musician has them.

However, I will say try not to get too caught up on note for note copying. You're not going to learn much just by memorizing tabs. Try to focus more on patterns, common scales they use, and other techniques that they use a lot. Don't forget the background riffs/chords, they're half of what makes a solo sound good.

To get you started most rock solos are based on the pentatonic minor scale, however this is with the disclaimer that playing just off this scale will usually sound bland and not very metal. You have to use bits of notes from other scales to get more colorful sounds.

Scales get all the attention but really the notes you're playing over are the basis of a solo. The best way I can think of it: you have your key, and you have your scale. All those notes in the scale will sound safely okay at any time. However, over each given chord of the background there are more notes that will sound acceptable over it, and possibly more interesting. Knowing them, finding them, making them all go together and sound good, that's what just takes skill which forms from practice and experience.

Knowing chords and **notes on the neck** are huge assets

This pretty much just sums up what I've learned so far in my journey, I'm not a master or anything, but from my own results its a pretty good start.
Quote by sxymnky777

yeah I just realized how retarded and otherwise completely wrong my post was, I think I was in a bad mood or something. Anyways, of the guys you listed: Paul Gilbert has some pretty good DVDs out if you're interesting in learning how to shred.
Quote by guitarLover79
I was wondering if you guys could give me scales or maybe stuff they do in solos and some rythm stuff they do.

I don't think anyone has said this but all you need to do is look at the tabs, on this site, of the bands and guitar players that you mentioned.

Easy As That! shit...
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
I love how topics start one place, then someone makes a comment, someone else gets pissy about it (no offense) then the thread just kinda spirals off into a sea of people arguing about something that had nothing to do with the original topic.
When your lying in your bedroom, I hope you say a prayer...
...cause when I get to heaven, I wanna see you there.