Page 1 of 2
What song or bass line are you trying to learn or perfect right now?
For me, I'm thinking about learning Dani California, I've already learned harder songs (yes, I'm a big enough noob at bass to not know Dani California yet).
Right now i am trying learn to Power by Marcus Miller, i'm painstakingly working on my thumb technique. I'm also trying to nail Kuru for the whole song but i still cant do it. I've no idea how Jaco done that, the guy was a fcking robot.
I'm working on the bass solo from Metropolis Part 1, by Dream Theater, getting Hysteria by Muse down just right, and thats about it at the moment
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Quote by Applehead
Right now i am trying learn to Power by Marcus Miller, i'm painstakingly working on my thumb technique. I'm also trying to nail Kuru for the whole song but i still cant do it. I've no idea how Jaco done that, the guy was a fcking robot.

Woah, when did you come back to the Bass forum?! I haven't seen you posting here in ages!

Good to see you about again!

I'm actually learning nothing at the moment, my damn a levels and my girlfriend are taking their toll on my playing time. I'm certainly looking forward to picking up the four stringer ASAP, It wont sound pretty though!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Tommy The Cat by Primus.

The pain...
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by flyingmarlin
Woah, when did you come back to the Bass forum?! I haven't seen you posting here in ages!

Good to see you about again!

How you doing bro? Life got in the way a bit for a while, but i'm back now. Minus the g/f.
The Anesthesia Pulling Teeth solo.
For those like 3 people in the world who haven't heard it I love this thing
and working on a song for my band, though our vocalist is being a douche and hasn't ****ing called about when he's getting his ass over here yet.
Quote by Applehead
How you doing bro? Life got in the way a bit for a while, but i'm back now. Minus the g/f.

I'm not too bad cheers, stuff's been going fairly well these days so I can't complain. I've been neglecting UG a fair bit, this is the first time I've come into the bass forum in a while, seems like a lot of the same old threads were getting posted over and over again. We need some more win-threads!

I'm glad you're back, sorry to hear about the girlfriend dude. Your band going well?
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
I'm working nailing intelligent walking bass lines on the fly in Jazz. I have also decided that Impressions by Coltrane is wicked fast and hard to play a good line to.

I also got involved in a funk / R & B group and I am learning "You got to funkifize" by ToP, which for sheer stamina is killing me as much as Kuru. I'm also working on Sam and Dave's
"A place nobody can find", which has a great Duck Dunn bass line that is completely in the friggen' pocket.
Quote by anarkee
I'm working nailing intelligent walking bass lines on the fly in Jazz. I have also decided that Impressions by Coltrane is wicked fast and hard to play a good line to.

I also got involved in a funk / R & B group and I am learning "You got to funkifize" by ToP, which for sheer stamina is killing me as much as Kuru. I'm also working on Sam and Dave's
"A place nobody can find", which has a great Duck Dunn bass line that is completely in the friggen' pocket.

Wow. Sounds like you've got your hands full.
Quote by herby190
Wow. Sounds like you've got your hands full.

Yeah I'm trying juggle a 45 hour a week job with 3 groups. Its been busy, but fun.
I'm trying to learn Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat for December the 1st.

It'll be a fun ride!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I'm patiently waiting for my six-string to arrive so I can learn Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
in amongst my 3 essays 1500, 2000, 1250 words each, 2 scores one is a full band score of jaco's the chicken with soul intro from the birthday concert while the other is a score for superstition by stevie wonder for 2 guitars, bass, drums and vox and a 10 minute powerpoint presentation for uni and going to uni and working 3 nights a week in a pub and seeing my girlfriend and gigging and practicing with my band JOHNNY INFERNO (SHAMELESS PLUG RIGHT HERE) i'm working on getting a basic understanding of making jazz walking basslines and learning to play trumpet
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Re writing the bass lines to my bands songs, its gets really boring for me just to play root notes and follow the guitarist. Got a couple done so far, just adding a few extra notes in before chord changes can make a huge difference. Hope to get them recorded properly by the end of the month/early next month
Bass Player
I'm working up and remembering a handful of nice tones with my Ibanez and working on some blues scale improv.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
The Lemon Song and Caught in a Web mainly.
They're two of the songs that I've always wanted to learn but can never get around to it. I can play harder songs, I just can't bother to learn them for some reason.
Newbie of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
I've been working on Ant the Psychic Saw, Brains, Enthralled in Essence, an The Formative Years which are all by Atheist; Backbone and Flying Whales by Gojira; Veil of Maya by Cynic; and In the Name of God by Dream Theater. They're all songs I started to learn before but never really nailed.
i'm trying to get the bass part from roundabout by Yes up to speed at the moment
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Working on Portrait of Tracy and my slap technique. Also working on getting a new bass. I now realise that Portrait of Tracy really isn't hard, I just never tried to learn it. ^_^
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Retardwitguitar
i'm trying to get the bass part from roundabout by Yes up to speed at the moment

a sexy song. only played by the sexiest of bassists.

I'm working on improvising with two handed tapping.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I am working on trying not to go insane! I don't have an amp at the moment, and the one I got online is stuck in Iowa w/ shipping problems!!! Arggg!!!!
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
I've just been playing the fast bits of yyz to myself over and over, but truthfully I always get bored before i learn an entire song and i much prefer improvising 99% of the time. Unless I'm covering it with a band of course, but that's far more enjoyable.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
I just finished learning Pow! by Larry Graham, i laid off the slap for a while and its a nice reletively easy song to get back into it
selkies the endless obsession. i've nailed everything apart from the crazy middle part, when dan just lets fly
Quote by ImaHighwayChile
I just finished learning Pow! by Larry Graham, i laid off the slap for a while and its a nice reletively easy song to get back into it

I wouldnt say POW is relatively easy, its a serious stamina challenge to play it full speed for the whole song. I have to be really warmed up to play that and i would consider myself a fairly advanced slap player.

Props for playing it though, Larry Graham is the fcking man. You had much fun with The Jam at all?
waitin for new strings, the bottom 2 broke
but when i do,
Ealge Fly Free - Helloween
damn the bridge
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
I'm working on chord/melody stuff for What a Wonderful World. I'm looping the chords and then playing the melody over top and then doing chords/melody simultaneously as well. It's pretty neat stuff. I'm going to start in on Birdland pretty soon I think.
Ima back to basics! Teaching eldest daughter 'Misfit Love' by QOTSA. It's been fun cutting all the BS and getting down to what bass is about.
So in theory I'm supposed to be working on writing coursework for her, because our Examinations Board has no specific bass guitar course. Magic. Tho' on the upside, if I'm lucky it'll go to the SQA as the bass guitar Standard Grade for Scotland. Chocolate medal for me...

Personally, I'm working on the zen of one note. It'll have to be the right one. I haven't found it yet.
Learning Protest The Hero's Fortress all the way through...up to Wretch so far and I'm knackered by the time i get that far..
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Two projects for the coming months: The trooper by iron maiden(gotta get the gallops down)

Knights of Cydonia(i believe it has the same gallop rhythm i believe(correct me if wrong) )

oh and as i have stayed commited to my bass playing, i am rewarding myself with a non crappy bass and ditching the Epiphone for a jazz or precision YAY ME!
Quote by froggyman
Two projects for the coming months: The trooper by iron maiden(gotta get the gallops down)

Knights of Cydonia(i believe it has the same gallop rhythm i believe(correct me if wrong) )

oh and as i have stayed commited to my bass playing, i am rewarding myself with a non crappy bass and ditching the Epiphone for a jazz or precision YAY ME!

I've been trying to learn Knights of Cydonia, but I can't tell what parts are bass, and I can't go anywhere be here and my E-mail on this computer, so I can't check a video on how to do it... does the bass go with the drums or the guitar?
Im learning Immigrant song by Led Zeppelin. Good song to work on speed.
Page 1 of 2