What are the tonal, feature set, and characteristic differences between the:
ENGL Powerball, ENGL Invader (100W or 150W), Mesa Boogie Dual or Triple Rectifier, Soldano SLO1000, and Hughes & Kettner MKII?

I'm looking for a high-end head used mainly for leads, and I DON'T only play metal. Crisp, organic, and natural cleans are very important, as well as a tight, smooth, overdriven lead tone, as I mostly play lead (not that much riffing).

Thanks,
-Kevin
I dont mean to sound like a dick.... but if you are going to dump that much cash on a head, you should probably go play with it yourself and not just go on UG's advice. That being said, they are so radically different in so many ways. Soldano is not necessarily high gain heaven, but it can definitely hold its own. The ENGL is def. very high gain with nice cleans, Boogie paved the way for "nu-metal" and heavy rock tones in the 90's and early 2000's... and Hughes & Kettner is all around good.

Honestly, I would go play with these amps yourself, you would not want to dump $2-3k+ on a head and not be happy with it....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I can only speak for the Mesa's in this thread. Recto's are not a good amp for leads! Unless your going to throw a boost and eq pedal in the mix. To bring up the mids and help cut through the mix.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Recto's are not a good amp for leads!

The Single, Dual and Triple yes. Road King is quite good at leads imo.

As far as lead goes, the SLO would be my choice out of all of those for sure, but the cleans aren't as good as you'd probably want them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk. II will do everything I want and more. The cleans are brilliant and channel 3 has enough gain where a pedal is not needed. Channel 2 is the Orange or British sound and is my least favorite because yo have to crank it up to get the full effect of tube sound on channel 2. Great if you are on stage. Not bad being the only complaint I have about the amp. Channel 3, however, sounds incredible at the very lowest volume setting.

Mesa Road King is an awesome amp. I have owned a Road King head, various Marshalls, Orange, Divided by 13, Bad Cat, and a Laney (among others including old 60s and 50s Fender). The Triamp s one of the best and finlly led me to stop searching. I was always on the look out for another amp in the past with hopes of improvement. The Diezel VH4 is about the only other amp, at this time, I would might be interested in, but I am happy at the moment.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Last edited by 996ttcab at Nov 10, 2008,
Quote by Zephyr77
What are the tonal, feature set, and characteristic differences between the:
ENGL Powerball, ENGL Invader (100W or 150W), Mesa Boogie Dual or Triple Rectifier, Soldano SLO1000, and Hughes & Kettner MKII?

I'm looking for a high-end head used mainly for leads, and I DON'T only play metal. Crisp, organic, and natural cleans are very important, as well as a tight, smooth, overdriven lead tone, as I mostly play lead (not that much riffing).

Thanks,
-Kevin

Honestly, you could save yourself a lot of money, & try out a EVH 5150 III. I own one, as well as an SLO 100, & the 5150 III does everything remarkably well. The SLO 100 is a beast, but it articulates so well, that you better have really smooth technique or your leads will sound like shit. Every little mistake come through loud & clear.
I've played a H&K Triamp Mk2, & it is a very killer amp, but it's basically the same package as a 5150 III. I just like the voicing of the 5150 III better, although I'm sure the Mk2 is better built (as it costs twice as much). IMO, the Rectos are too loose on the bottom end in general, although I really do like their overall tone. The Engls I've tried are sweet, but have something sort of sterile about them (like Diezels), like they're not "alive". Hard to explain. An SLO's tone just pops out at you in comparison.
Like Brendan said-try them out first. You may be surprised how they respond.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
Honestly, you could save yourself a lot of money, & try out a EVH 5150 III. I own one, as well as an SLO 100, & the 5150 III does everything remarkably well. The SLO 100 is a beast, but it articulates so well, that you better have really smooth technique or your leads will sound like shit. Every little mistake come through loud & clear.
I've played a H&K Triamp Mk2, & it is a very killer amp, but it's basically the same package as a 5150 III. I just like the voicing of the 5150 III better, although I'm sure the Mk2 is better built (as it costs twice as much). IMO, the Rectos are too loose on the bottom end in general, although I really do like their overall tone. The Engls I've tried are sweet, but have something sort of sterile about them (like Diezels), like they're not "alive". Hard to explain. An SLO's tone just pops out at you in comparison.
Like Brendan said-try them out first. You may be surprised how they respond.

That's a good thing, IMO. Forces to player to play cleaner. The engl e530 has def done that to me xD.

Also as Riffhog said, you DEFINITELY need to try these amps out when you're dropping that amount of cash on it. Also check out Splawns.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Nov 10, 2008,
Quote by kayman121
That's a good thing, IMO. Forces to player to play cleaner. The engl e530 has def done that to me xD.

Also as Riffhog head, you DEFINITELY need to try these amps out when you're dropping that amount of cash on it. Also check out Splawns.

I thought I was a pretty decent player til I got my SLO. Def forces you to up your game to the next level. I still cringe many times when I solo with that damn thing .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog

I thought I was a pretty decent player til I got my SLO. Def forces you to up your game to the next level. I still cringe many times when I solo with that damn thing .

Happens to the best of us.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
The Triamp also forces you to play clean, until I throw my G-Force on it and then I can get away with murder.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
if you don't mainly play metal, i'd probably stroke the powerball off the list... haven't tried the invader. i'd say the savage and se would be the other two obvious engls to try for what you want.

mainly though, at that kind of money, you have a lot of options, and it's mainly personal preference as to which you prefer, so you'd need to try as many as you can...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?