I have no clue when it comes to wiring etc. but I was wondering if it would be easy to change the red LED on my Ibanez FL9 (its so dull I can hardly see it unless I'm standing right over the pedal) to a bright blue LED? Also will it affect my tone?

Cheers.
Last edited by tombo32 at Nov 9, 2008,
In the ts9 the indicator LED is mounted to a little board. But shouldnt be a big deal to change. And it wont have any impact on tone.
Yep, ive got one of those leds.

Theyre not that great, but yeah, as soon as you attatch it to power it will light up and cycle through the colours.
Be sure to change the current limiting resistor if needed, though!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I thought that different LED's would Clip the sound differently?

TO THE LAB!

*busts through wall*
------

Shwiggity.
Hang on, guys. There's a catch.

I've heard of people having trouble with their pedals after merely changing the red LED to green (happened to me too, but I always attributed it to my shitty protocol).

I'll find more info in a sec...

edit: screw it. I can't find it. Search the wah modding thread or PM kurtlives91...
Last edited by Invader Jim at Nov 15, 2008,
Quote by deftonesordie
I thought that different LED's would Clip the sound differently?

TO THE LAB!

*busts through wall*

I'd think so... for instance, Behringer makes a huge deal out of the fact that they use blue leds.

Is that for looks only? Or indeed is there any difference between LED colours and tone? WTF??
LED's only affect tone if they are being used as clippers to produce distortion. Indicators arent even part of the circuit, but part of the switching system, so it wont change tone.
there you have it, I really was just throwing it out there... Way too hung over.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by Sunburst PR
LED's only affect tone if they are being used as clippers to produce distortion. Indicators arent even part of the circuit, but part of the switching system, so it wont change tone.

Ah... good to know.

Then, how colour or is it the quality of the LED affects distortion?? I know that depends of the clipping characteristics of the circuit, but say, what can you expect from a red, a blue or green one??

Thanks, bro!
If anyone read my post...

Different color LEDs have different forward thresholds. An LED with a lower forward threshold clips harder than one with a higher threshold. LEDs (according to kurtlives91) sound tube-like, but are quite compressed. He uses resistors in series with the LEDs to help this.
i saw them LEDs yesterday when I went to dick smiths but they only went red - blue.
So, how does the LED change the sound, what will the difference be between a green and a yellow LED?
And that, my friends, you can find out from datasheets. Listen to Invader Jim, for God's sake, he knows his shit!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster