I was looking to mod my '05 mexican strat (HSS) out a bit to get an decent covering of many things. I love blues/jazz sounding stuff and I really like to jam metal once in awhile. I'm more aimed towards classic sounding goodness, such as the "hendrix" type of music.

My setup would follow using seymour duncans:

2 push/pull pots (250K volume to split humbucker, and tone push/pull to split lil '59 in neck); or only split the humbucker with volume pot

bridge: JB Model SH-4 humbucker
middle: duckbucker SDBR-1
neck: Little '59™ for Strat SL59-1

Anyone familiar with this pickups that can comment on tone and such?
what amp are you using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
currently just jamming out in smaller settings, but mainly use my Marshall. My practice amps I usually play on are: Marshall MG30DFX (Solid state) and Peavey Transtube 258EFX (Hybrid).
honestly, you'll get more of a change taking the money and putting it towards an amp.
for example, those 3 pups, will cost ~$240 over $300 if you were having someone else install them for you.

to put that into perspective, a used peavey classic 30 costs about $350 in the states, and will completely change your tone.
there's nothing subtle about it.

ok with that said,
the JB is too high end for my taste,
and for small sized humbuckers, i like stacked dimarzio more than the ones you listed.

when i used my mg 50, i was unhappy with my tone, and i changed the pups in my schecter
C1+ to jazz / JB. and it did sound better. But after the initial shock of hearing the extra umphh my pups were putting out, i was found i was left with the fact that i was still unable to get the tones i wanted out of that amp.
i ended up getting a valve jr , and never looked back.

good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

lol damn...my mom agreed to get me the humbucker pikcup for x-mas (poor college guy atm ). I really love my marshall's "crunch" and it pairs great with the strat. I was looking for more balls out in the humbucker position which I think the JB will suite, or even the '59 model sh-1. I am really not sure about the humbucker single coil sizes though. Sucks no one else had a similar idea lol. I prefer the vintage look and feel...now me wants the sound. lol I know...mexican strat but I got lucky with mine its actually pretty decent. Anyone try cool rails on a strat?
Anyone else laugh every time they read "duckbucker"? It makes me think of some kind of duck shaped pickup. Also your guitar quacks when you use it
i like mexican strats. mines a 96'. no one is going to rip on you for that. or for wanting to swap out your pups. we all do. i'm just saying that you're not going to get the most out of these pups using a Solid state practice amp.

not wt the specific tones you're looking for.

here' is my MIM
hot rails bridge,
dimarzio stacked humbucker, virtual vintage heavy blues, middle
dimarzio stacked humbucker, YjM neck.

my fav spot is one click down from top.

in your case, if mom wants to buy you a humbucker. then go ahead, but save for a small tube amp too.

and again, i think the JB has too much treble. (high end) but with pickups it's all preference.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

+1 to jj1565.

I also agree that the JB is a bad idea, in this case. I'd be more inclined to recommend a Seymour Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom. For a future purchase, that is. New amp nao.
Ask you mom for money to save away for a new amp.

Also, IIRC, Peavey Transtube amps are not hybrids. They're just normal solid state amps geared towards sounding like a tube amp.
This is true, always wanted a tube amp , but was planning on waiting until i graduated in june as my parents want to get me a graduation present . So the JB might be a bit high eh, what other humbuckers would you guys recommend that would be a decent mix between metallica sounds and iron maiden. Only reason I like duncan's is because DiMarzio always seemed a little thin to me. I really like the '59 model sh-1 but foud it lacking a nice punch so the JB was recommended. I'm looking at trying your DiMarzio pickups jj1565 . Any sound bits you recorded with them? This is tough lol i've been researching for about 3 months now lol

forsaken do you use the sh-11? was curious on the overall feel of it in your guitar
Well, to say Dimarzio is thin is a bit of a blanket generalization. They have A LOT of models - all with their own tonal characteristics, and I doubt you've tried them all.

I do not use the SH-11, but I always recommend it as a good option for Strat users looking to beef up their bridge position.

As far as getting Metallica and Iron Maiden sounds, you should again, be looking at an amp. An amp is responsible for far more of your tone than your pickups. Pickups are a smaller part of your tone than you may have been led to believe.