I've been looking through the lessons, and I can't find where I read what a note in parentheses means. It's a ghost note, right?
Quote by anarkee
Correct, that is the way ghost notes are indicated on tabulature.

Okay, so just play it softer?
I was going to write an explanation of my own, but the wiki article does it better than I can:

On the double bass and electric bass, as with the guitar, ghost notes can be performed by muting the strings, either with the fretting hand or the plucking/picking hand, which creates notes of indeterminate pitch that have a percussive quality. On the electric bass, ghost notes are widely used in the slap bass style, as a way of creating a percussive, drum-like sound in funk and Latin music. On the double bass, percussive ghost notes are sometimes performed by slapping the strings against the fingerboard, which creates a percussive, "clacky" sound. With the double bass, slap-style ghost notes are used in rockabilly, bluegrass, and traditional blues and swing jazz.
Okay, last question is mute it from the beginning, giving it a quiet sound, or mute it immediatly after, making it more like a drum beat; a quick boom, then little to no sound.
Its a mute completely. It's more of a percussive sound with little tone. There's a couple of you tube videos out there with good demonstrations of the technique.
Quote by anarkee
Its a mute completely. It's more of a percussive sound with little tone. There's a couple of you tube videos out there with good demonstrations of the technique.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the help.
Actually, I'm going to go against you here Tam. (DEAR LORD).

He actually asked for a note in brackets, like (2) rather than an x, which is how a ghost note is written.

If I get a note written between two brackets, I play it a lot softer than any other note in the given dynamic direction. For example, if I'm playing a forte piece, I would play that note piano, if not pianissimo.

Or Tam could be right. Who knows!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Its funny Chris--I always thought that ghost notes were tonal percussive notes as well and then I had someone correct me and say they weren't, but rather that they were merely percussive accents. I've also always been a bit confused on the difference between dead and ghost notes.

Ok...someone want to clear this one up?
From Wiki:

The term ghost note, then, can have various meanings. The term anti-accent is more specific. Moreover, there exists a set of anti-accent marks to show gradation more specifically. Percussion music in particular makes use of anti-accent marks, as follows:

slightly softer than surrounding notes: u (breve)
significantly softer than surrounding notes: ( ) (note head in parentheses)
much softer than surrounding notes: [ ] (note head in brackets)

In jazz notation for wind instruments or string instruments, the intent of a composer for a note to be ghosted is often indicated by using an 'x' for a notehead rather than an oval.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Tab-wise anyway, I always take parantheses notes to be much softer, like a passing note, and an x to be a dead note (percussive).
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.