Ok, I've just been asked if I wanted to be lead guitarist in a thrash metal band, I said ok, on one condition; I get to play my own solos, what I want to play. They said fine.

Here's the thing, I like the melodic jazzy solos, and I love to play em. How well would this fit into a thrash setting? Do you guys think it can be done? or should I compromise???

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Well, that's just the slight issue. Almost every thrash solo I've ever heard has been vastly chromatic, and I really dont like to play like that....senseless chromatic wanking. That's the only issue, I'll do lead, I just dont know how well it would fit with the idea of thrash.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

check out dream theater beyond this life, not thrash but look at the keys solos in the song

and think of it like this way you can change that its all about good song writing ability to incorporate something different that "works" i believe it could work if done in a good taste
Hm...I suppose you're right.

I guess it'll be a good thing to bring something new to the thrash table, am I right?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Marty Friedman was in Megadeth, he was an excellent melodic guitarist - no chromatic wanking. Also alot of the more progressive thrash bands had jazzier solos / less conventional soloing.
Progressive thrash??

Example?

And I had completely forgotten about Marty Jebus, I feel dumb

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I'm no expert on the subject, but watchtower is a good example, bands like heathen and dark angel also think outside the box (not really prog IMO tho).

Edit: sorry we've gotten a bit off track, what I was trying to demonstrate is not only will your solo style in a thrash band work, it's a GOOD idea.
Quote by Bloodsick
I'm no expert on the subject, but watchtower is a good example, bands like heathen and dark angel also think outside the box (not really prog IMO tho).

Edit: sorry we've gotten a bit off track, what I was trying to demonstrate is not only will your solo style in a thrash band work, it's a GOOD idea.

Hm, I'll check these guys out, maybe it'll take my playing to a new location as well....

It's cool, you were technically on topic as you were helping me with an issue, and I'm pretty confident now that the soloing will work. Thanks, and I hope I can make it work the way I would like, it's a good idea to take something new to the table every now and again.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Look at BTBAM, in some aspects they can be considered thrash. Look at what genre they are, Progressive Death Jazz.

What I mean is that if it can be incorporated, it can work. Paul Wagonner can fit jazz into metal, and Mark Morton can fit blues into metal.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by valennic
Progressive thrash??

Example?

And I had completely forgotten about Marty Jebus, I feel dumb

Nevermore - Jeff Loomis does some great solos with unconventional scales and arpeggios.

Also check out Testament's newest album - when the band was on hiatus, Alex Skolnick formed a jazz trio.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Melodic Jazzy Solos in a thrash band? May I direct you to the song Testament - Souls of Black, thats got a very jazzy solo, and its great.
Jazz soloing is really just using scales according to the chords rather than the key - it SHOULD sound good over anything.
As long as you're not using the floating neck humbucker of an archtop, it'll sound awesome