can someone give me tips on how to make this cab sound it's best?

i know, i know it's an MG 4x12 but so what that doesn't mean i should go throw it away.
Last edited by voxAC30TBguy at Nov 9, 2008,
An MG 4x12 is a cab, not an amp.

Do you mean it's an MG head?

If so, yes sell it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
new wiring and speakers
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
It's poorly built and undersized, I'd say sell it and get something else.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
guys i know it's mdf partical board. im living with that fact and im trying to get the most out of it. please stop the "go sell it" thing. i just wanna know if i should get some better speakers for it and rewire. im thinking about getting some alnico blue clones from warehouse speakers or some veteran 30's.
Waste of money, why not sell the mg cab and put all that money towards an avatar 2x12 or a nice used cab?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
well new speakers would help alot, but they`d be worth what you could buy a used Marshall 1960 cab for

as for tryin to make it sound better, try pulling the back off it, run it as an open cab, don`t know if it`ll sould better or not, but it doesn`t cost anything,

if you can find a set of Celestion G12T-75`s thats what comes stock in most 1960 cabs.
New speakers from warehouse speakers will make it sound better but they're gonna cost about $300. If you keep that $300 and sell the MG cab you'll be able to buy a cab that sounds better than the MG would with better speakers in it. You can get an Avatar G412 Vintage Custom cab for $489 plus $68 for shipping. That's $557 total for a cab that'll sound better. You should really think about what we have told you in this thread and you can check out Avatar cabs here.
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 9, 2008,
try just replacing two of the speakers. it will cost you a lot less than 4 and will most definately improve the sound if you get good sounding speakers. When u mic up at gigs, just be sure to get the soundguy to mic up the nice speakers and hey presto.

you can find used speakers on ebay quite cheap. I saw a pair of celestion gt75's on there that went for like 40 quid (80 us dolars)
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Sell it and buy an avatar.
Just changing the speakers won't fix the fact that the cab has bad sonic properties. Going for a whole new cab would be the best route for you
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Sell it and buy an avatar.
Just changing the speakers won't fix the fact that the cab has bad sonic properties. Going for a whole new cab would be the best route for you

dude, did you even read what the thread starter has said in his posts?????

he asked us nicely to stop suggesting selling it and actually give him some advice on how to make the cab sound better.
Quote by hippyheaven1
dude, did you even read what the thread starter has said in his posts?????

he asked us nicely to stop suggesting selling it and actually give him some advice on how to make the cab sound better.

And we have responded, shitty wood and construction means that it will sound shitty. Buy a new one. Not much you can do about poor quality construction
Quote by pak1351
And we have responded, shitty wood and construction means that it will sound shitty. Buy a new one. Not much you can do about poor quality construction

your quite right. but when the thread starter makes a request that you stop telling him to sell it, then people immediately respond with "sell it and buy an avatar", you gotta wonder?!?!?!?!

at the end of the day, if the guy doesnt have much cash, he has to make do with what he has, we cant all afford to go and buy whatever cab tickles our fancy.

which is why i suggested getting used speakers from ebay - that would definately improve its sound and shouldnt need to cost very much either.
I see...

So maybe go for some Warehouse speakers. They make some good celestion clones.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by hippyheaven1
your quite right. but when the thread starter makes a request that you stop telling him to sell it, then people immediately respond with "sell it and buy an avatar", you gotta wonder?!?!?!?!

at the end of the day, if the guy doesnt have much cash, he has to make do with what he has, we cant all afford to go and buy whatever cab tickles our fancy.

which is why i suggested getting used speakers from ebay - that would definately improve its sound and shouldnt need to cost very much either.

By why bother spending the little money he does have polishing a turd? When he can spend that money, and the money he get's from selling it on something good.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
There are empty avatar 2x12's on the bay for cheap, and a 2x12 w/ buyer's choice of eminence legend series speakers. Also a mesa 2x12 w/ v30s under 300 with shipping. Selling the mg and buying one of these would be most beneficial to tone.

Lacking that, replacing the speakers is pretty much the only thing you can do, unless you want to build a new cab, but that would probably run you more than buying an empty avatar.
Just my thoughts, why do something half-assed when you can do it right
TS I looked at your other thread asking if you should buy the MG cab and if you have not bought it yet use that $200 you're gonna spend on it and the $300 new speakers would cost and buy an Avatar 4x12 with celestion speakers in it. It will only cost $57 more and you'll have a better sounding cab.
If anyone wants to read his other thread here's a link.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=995570
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
yeah but they don't ship to hawaii.

I didn't know that. I guess new speakers is all you can do then. You should've said you live in Hawaii and Avatar doesn't ship there to start with. Some of us would've had different advice for you then.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 10, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm pretty sure they(avatarspeakers.com) WILL ship to hawaii. It's not international, so....

Email dave. Ask him, to be sure.
If not, check out lopoline.com, and see their cabs. Also very affordable, and just ask for their shipping rate, too. Email them.

+1 on the ask Dave on shipping.

However, on the Avatar website they do state that they use DHL Ground Insured exclusively for the US.
i dont think im gonna sell this cab anytime soon. after all it's a better cab then i was going to get. i was going to get a crate V series 2x12 but from what i heard is it's way worse then this cab so i ended up getting a better deal and thats all i care about.
Quote by forsaknazrael
well, all we're saying is that you could definitely sell this can for at least around 300 bucks to some sucker. That's a good amount - spend it on a good 2x12", and you'll only be paying around 100-150 on a new cab that'll sound much better.

I can't recommend upgrading anything in this cab.

I have to agree.

I can't see how turd polishing is better than selling it and getting something good.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
^^^ Yeah but it's not gonna be much of a step up.

Well what i'd do then, is if you're intent upon keeping it, is vamp it up. So take the back off, and go over all the seams with a sealer of some sort. Nail some heavy duty wood-blocks into the corners and glue for extra measure. The extra strength and acoustic isolation will improve the sound quality most likely. Then get a quad of Warehouse speakers - i'd recommend 2 Reapers and 2 Veteran 30s in an x pattern.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
thank you sooo much for those tips. that is exactly what i was looking for. thanks guys. so what kinda caulking should i use to seal the cab? do i seal the baffle and the back too?
Quote by MrCarrot
^^^ Yeah but it's not gonna be much of a step up.

Well what i'd do then, is if you're intent upon keeping it, is vamp it up. So take the back off, and go over all the seams with a sealer of some sort. Nail some heavy duty wood-blocks into the corners and glue for extra measure. The extra strength and acoustic isolation will improve the sound quality most likely. Then get a quad of Warehouse speakers - i'd recommend 2 Reapers and 2 Veteran 30s in an x pattern.

+1 to you for actually listening to the thread starter !!