For an absolute beginner who doesn't know if they really want to actually play the guitar, the Epiphone would be a decent choice. They play alright. Don't sound that great, but you get what you pay for in most cases.

If you are planning to play for a long time to come, the Yamaha is a much better choice. It will last you for years.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I'm of the opinion that making a distinction between a "beginner" guitar and all others is the wrong way to look at it. I'm not saying that the epi mentioned is bad, but at the price, it aint going to be a whole lot of good either.

I just can't see the point in starting out on a guitar that is likely to discourage one from further playing because it plays or sounds like crap. In the case of the Epi, I think you could probably get it set up to play right...but it would cost you just about what the guitar cost you in the first place. I mean, that at least is saying something, but for the money, you would be better off to go with an axe that at least has something to recommend it besides the price...I would rather see a new player spend $350 or $400 on a guitar that inspires him or her than throw away $120 on a guitar that will cause one to lose interest because it sounds like cardboard and plays rough...see my point?

There are some decent quality axes out there with solid spruce tops and a decent set up for about $350- $400. The Seagull comes to mind, and there are some Blueridge guitars in that range with solid tops. If you look hard enough, you might find a used Larrivee for under $500 that would be as good as a Martin costing 3 or 4 times that price...look at the D-03 Larrivee or the L-03...these are ALL SOLID woods with ebony boards and bridges and spruce tops that are beyond belief for the price.

Don't sour yourself on the experience by buying a crapper...spend a bit more, and the guitar itself will get better as you do.
i dont want to spend that much though, so far ive been looking and its either the epiphone dr-100 or the Norman B-15

which is better?
I would think that the norman is, although it's still a laminate guitar, so it wont be amazing.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I would probably go with the Epi, but there is likely little difference between the two.

The Yamaha FG700S would be a big upgrade if you can manage to spend $200.
Quote by jimtaka
I would probably go with the Epi, but there is likely little difference between the two.

The Yamaha FG700S would be a big upgrade if you can manage to spend $200.

the price between them both isnt the problem.
What's the problem then?

Honestly the Yamaha FG700S is a considerably better guitar.
Can anyone who has tried the Epiphone dr-100 tell me if it is any good? i know its only 120$ so im not expecting something crazy but im a starter, so is it good for me? so that songs that i do learn will sound good.

thanks
I've played a few of that model. They sound OK, not a full, rich sound, but not completely crap. You're essentially getting what you pay for.