...or should i say a 50 watt amp powered down to 25 watts
(its the jcm 900 i'm looking to buy anyway)
so just to clarify, could you get some clipping out of a 25 watt 2x12 over say a drummer?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yeah, you could. 25 watts should clip nicely over a drummer. Not that much, but enough to sound great with some master volume dirt.

thanks for the response
also got another question, do you think it makes a difference if it is a truly 25 watt amp than a powered down 25 watt amp
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
can someone explain to me what clipping is and why its good?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yeah, you could. 25 watts should clip nicely over a drummer. Not that much, but enough to sound great with some master volume dirt.

Yeah, this guy knows what he's talking about.
Quote by DaddyBarbs

its when the power tubes in an amp start to get overdriven and a nice natural tube sound comes out
think of people like, ted nugent, jimi hendrix and acdc, all use those sorts of sounds
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by DaddyBarbs

Clipping is when the waveform of a sound wave is distorted.
It's also referred to power tube saturation
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
^^Clipping does not always refer to power tube distortion. Clipping that originates from diodes is still clipping, but obviously is not power tube distortion.

Quote by acdclandon
its when the power tubes in an amp start to get overdriven and a nice natural tube sound comes out
think of people like, ted nugent, jimi hendrix and acdc, all use those sorts of sounds

Your amp is capable of distortion without turning it up that loud. It sounds better when it's saturated and run hard, but it's not necessarily necessary. You want power tube distortion? Pound on your strings, I guarantee it'll run your amp harder if it's already being turned up to keep up with drums.

BTW - 25 watts not that quieter than 50 watts, when it comes to tube amps.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^^Clipping does not always refer to power tube distortion. Clipping that originates from diodes is still clipping, but obviously is not power tube distortion.
But we were talking about a tube amp, correct? I was simply implying that the form of clipping you all were talking about was also known as tube saturation.
Quote by forsaknazrael

But you get power tube breakup sooner
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku

But you get power tube breakup sooner

Not necessarily.

It depends on the circuit, tone stack, type of tubes, speaker, etc. It also depends on what you mean by sooner.

Doubling the power of an amplifier will make it 3 decibels louder, but perceived volume and perceived distortion is different than actual distortion and volume. The human ear, for example, perceives mid range frequencies to be louder than bass frequencies.

It's not exclusive to Tube amps, as well. Certain amps will sound louder at the same RMS power coefficient.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Your amp is capable of distortion without turning it up that loud. It sounds better when it's saturated and run hard, but it's not necessarily necessary. You want power tube distortion? Pound on your strings, I guarantee it'll run your amp harder if it's already being turned up to keep up with drums.

that is exactly why i'm getting this amp (part of the reason) is the power down switch
is there that big of difference in general between 25 and 50 for power tube saturation?
also thanks for your responses everyone
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
that is exactly why i'm getting this amp (part of the reason) is the power down switch
is there that big of difference in general between 25 and 50 for power tube saturation?
also thanks for your responses everyone

It's hard to say, I've never played a 900 with a half power switch, and as goolz said, it depends on the amp.
Quote by Shinozoku
But we were talking about a tube amp, correct? I was simply implying that the form of clipping you all were talking about was also known as tube saturation.

Well, you have to be more specific, I guess, is what I was getting at.