So, I need to capo just one string. Specifically, the high E, at the second fret.

I've been thinking about this for a little while, and haven't thought of a way. Any of y'all have ideas?

And before anyone suggests tuning up, the whole point of doing this is to avoid tuning up and risk breaking a string.
do you have a younger brother perhaps?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
hmmm.... what song is it for? and i wouldnt think tuning up one step would make a big difference in the string breaking, but i understand you wanting to be cautious
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
Quote by DaddyBarbs

Actually, my older brother already tried to help me out by doing that - it didn't work, because his hand got in the way when I had to play at the second fret on the other strings.
Just tune it up, it's not gonna break the string
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by DaddyBarbs

Thats usually what I do when I need a few strings capoed. I am interested in the solutions anybody has to this as well.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
buy a thinner string(.9 should do), so it wont break easily even at a higher pitch.
problem solved
Quote by Mitchell?
Your high e string can handle tuning up a step.

No, it really can't. The only reason I'm seeking an alternative is because it broke.
tape the string down? I've seen Frederik of Meshuggah tape his high strings down so he couldn't play them and they wouldn't feed back, so maybe if you taped it down against the fret?
What gauge are you using? If it broke it was probably because it was old, or there was a problem with the bridge/nut.
Quote by Kevin Saale
What gauge are you using? If it broke it was probably because it was old, or there was a problem with the bridge/nut.

DR .10s that I put on last week.
i looked on wikipedia and apparently they make a single string capo, except for banjo. i think i've seen ones like it though, for guitar, or you could look into the banjo one to see if it could work on guitar

link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capo

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
i have a few cheap capos that i butcher. i just cut sections out of the rubber strip that presses on the strings and certain strings go untouched. my fav is the one that capos all but the e's(high and low)
Theres a thing they sell at GC thats a capo which has individual string thingies (sorry lol)

I cant remember its name, something like the magic hand capo

:S

EDIT;

Found it!!

Here it is
http://www.thirdhandcapo.com/
Last edited by SheikYerbouti at Nov 9, 2008,
tune the rest of your strings down maybe?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by SheikYerbouti
Theres a thing they sell at GC thats a capo which has individual string thingies (sorry lol)

I cant remember its name, something like the magic hand capo

:S

Yeah, I've been getting progressively wackier with my tunings and capo-ing, so I may have to look into one of those.
Quote by ooftymcgoofty
tune everything down a full step except the e string and then capo the 2nd fret

Hmm... I'll try that.

And to whoever was asking, the song is "Come Alive" - Foo Fighters.
Quote by Flying Couch
DR .10s that I put on last week.

It can take it, you just had bad luck. If I can tune .11 on a 25.5 scale neck to standard, then you can tune .10s up a whole step.

Hell, for a more drastic example, SRV tuned .13 gauge strings to Eb, that's a lot of tension.
Quote by ooftymcgoofty
tune everything down a full step except the e string and then capo the 2nd fret

this one sounds like a winner
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
Quote by Kevin Saale
It can take it, you just had bad luck. If I can tune .11 on a 25.5 scale neck to standard, then you can tune .10s up a whole step.

Hell, for a more drastic example, SRV tuned .13 gauge strings to Eb, that's a lot of tension.

He was still tuning down TS wants to tune UP.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku

My point is .13s tuned to Eb still have way more tension than .10s tuned up a whole step.
Quote by Shinozoku

Yeah, but that's still a lot of tension.
Tuning the strings to individual notes isn't the real problem, what matters is where you tune them relative to where the other strings are tuned. If your bottom string is tuned really high along with the other strings, it's easy to tune the top string really high. If your bottom string is tuned really low, it's really hard to tune the top string up really high. This is true for a floating bridge or a fixed bridge. So, if you tune the 2nd string up to C, it will be easier to tune the 1st string up to F#. It'll also be easier if you use a lighter gauge string relative to the others. If you normally play .10s, buy an individual .08 for your high E string (or in this case F#). This is why people who tune in Drop D are encouraged to buy a thicker string for their 6th string than the regular gauge. The type of strings, the length and width of the neck, and the type of bridge also all come into play here. Tuning everything down a whole step, and then capoing at the 2nd fret will only give you a slight advantage.

But, regardless of that. Here's what you need:

An individual .08 to replace your .10 on the 1st string

-or-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_capo