I swapped the pickups in my strat copy, but when i plug it in and turn my amp on, all I am getting is massive humming noise even when I play the strings, help me troubleshoot.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
All the wires are soldered and are in the right spot. I dropped in a loaded pickguard and only had to solder a few wires. Could the pickguard have been prewired incorrectly?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

What wires did you have to solder? You may have wired the ground and hot in the wrong spots on the output jack. Ground goes to ring. Hot goes to tip.

I couldn't tell which was which on the jack so I tried both and got the same problem both ways.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I hope it doesn't come to that because I burned myself numerous times on my shitty soldering iron trying to get all the joints in the right spot.

EDIT: Now that I think of it I remember one wire being weird, there seemed to be a wire insided of a wire. This is probably the problem, does anybody know what I'm talking about?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Last edited by lbj273 at Nov 9, 2008,
Quote by lbj273
I hope it doesn't come to that because I burned myself numerous times on my shitty soldering iron trying to get all the joints in the right spot.

then you might have messed up when you did that, if you cant do it find someone who can
I am looking at the back of the volume pot and there are only two lugs being used, the leftmost one is going to the pickup selecter, the center one is going to tip, and the rightmost one has no connection. The hot wire that is going to the output jack is the wire that i was thinking of that had a wire inside of a wire, the innermost wire is going to the center lug of the volume pot, and the outside wire is soldered to the back of the volume pot, is this correct?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

they are all soldered, what I was asking is if they were soldered right
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

theres a humbucker in the bridge, diagrams can only help to a point, the ones I've been looking at can't tell me if what I did with the volume pot is right.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Well, does the volume pot look like it does in the diagram? The rightmost lug should be soldered to the back of the pot, and then grounded at the bridge. Is this done?
Yes now that I look closer there is a small connectionthat goes to the back of the volume pot, and there is a wire that is runs from the back of the volume pot to the bridge. What I want to know is the hot wire that runs from the output jack to the center lug has an inner wire that is white inside of the wire that is gray, the white part is connected to the lug and i have the outer wire connected to the back of the volume pot. No diagram is showing this so I am wondering what do I do with the outer part of the wire.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

ground the bare part where, all ground wires are soldered solidly. I'll try to post a pic so you guys can see what I'm talking about.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

it is
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

You can see the wires I'm talking about here

This ones a little blurry but you can see the pot better
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Well thats as good as I can get with the cheap camera I have, I'll try to borrow a better camera and get some better pictures
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

The white wire inside the grey should be soldered to the center lug of the volume pot. The other end of it should get soldered to the lug for the tip of the input jack. The bare wire gets soldered to the back of the volume pot. The other end gets soldered to the other lug on the input jack. In the pic it doesn't look like the lug farthest to the right is grounded to the back of the volume pot like it should be. If it's not you need to solder it so it'll ground properly.
did you ground the whole system to the trem claw?
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
The white wire inside the grey should be soldered to the center lug of the volume pot. The other end of it should get soldered to the lug for the tip of the input jack. The bare wire gets soldered to the back of the volume pot. The other end gets soldered to the other lug on the input jack. In the pic it doesn't look like the lug farthest to the right is grounded to the back of the volume pot like it should be. If it's not you need to solder it so it'll ground properly.

So what do I do about the black wire that runs from the back of the volume pot to the ring of the input jack? You can't see it in that picture but there is a small connection from the third lug to the back of the volume pot.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Yes I did ground it to the trem claw
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273
So what do I do about the black wire that runs from the back of the volume pot to the ring of the input jack? You can't see it in that picture but there is a small connection from the third lug to the back of the volume pot.

Sounds like someone added an extra wire instead of using both the wires inside the grey one. If you use both wires inside the grey one you can just take the black wire out altogether.
Ok so does the shielded wire go to the tip and the bare wire to the ring?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Or could I use the black wire and not ground the bare wire or use it on the output jack at all?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

ok just making sure cause the shielded wire is kinda short and it barely makes it to the jack as is.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

so I want to test it to see if that solves my problem, do I need to take the bare wire off of the volume pot or does it not make a difference because its not connected to anything?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

IT WORKS I GOT SOUND!!!! Finally, I've spent a few months trying to figure this out. The pickguard that everything is mounted on is a little warped and doesnt sit on the body flat, is it easy to put everything onto a new pickguard?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Glad you got it working. It's pretty easy to switch pickguards just watch how that one comes apart and put everything in the new one like it was in the old one. I'd explain better but I've got go to work early in the morning so I need to get in bed.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 10, 2008,
ok thanks for all the help tonight
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020