So guys, I'm looking for a new amp and a cab to go with it. With what I've seen so far a modular rig seems to be the best bang for the buck.

I'm looking at getting an Avatar 212 and a QSC GX3 power amp with some sort of pre amp. I have a few questions though.
1. If I get a 4 ohm cab can i use only one channel of the power amp?
2. What would be a good pre amp to use?
My budget is about $800US, $900 tops.
You may want to look at a Sansamp RBI or RPM or whatever the the hell it is. Maybe the EBS floor preamp. I was thinking about going this route, but I ended up deciding against it, as I only had about $600, as opposed to $900. The benefit that I saw was that later I could upgrade the preamp and just use my existing power amp.
Quote by IndianRockStar
You may want to look at a Sansamp RBI or RPM or whatever the the hell it is. Maybe the EBS floor preamp. I was thinking about going this route, but I ended up deciding against it, as I only had about $600, as opposed to $900. The benefit that I saw was that later I could upgrade the preamp and just use my existing power amp.

Yeah, that's why I liked the idea of a modular rig. The Ebs looks really good and I like that its a pedal.

Edit: Either of those pre amps and an avatar 212 leave me about $140 for a head =/
Last edited by hippiebass at Nov 9, 2008,
I'm not sure how that amp works, but typically in multi-power amp amplifiers, you can run one side at 4 ohms, or bridge them together at 4 ohms (effectively running each at 2) with a specially configured Speakon cable.

As for a preamp, the new SWR Marcus Miller preamp is tasty, although I'm not sure of the price. I'd also recommend the Eden preamp as well.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The Marcus Miller is out of my budget by it self. The Sam Ash near me stock a whole bunch of Eden stuff so I'll try that out soon.
I just figured out that the GX3 can't be bridged so that's pretty much out of the question. So this brings up the question, what are some good power amps?

Edit: the Eden power amp is way too much for my price range. I'm looking at $900 for the whole setup not just a preamp.
Last edited by hippiebass at Nov 9, 2008,
Oh, gotcha.

Why, why, WHY are you after a separate pre/power amp anyway, especially with such a restricted budget? Separate pre/power amps is the mark of the tone conneseur who has $6000 to spend on a stack. There's no advantage to separate amps at that budget - and the advantage at any budget is subjective.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well if your sure probably a sansamp rpm or sonic max preamp. I dont think a floor preamp can send enough signal to run a power amp. And a 2x12 is a good option. The aguikar tone hammer is the only floor preamp that i know of that you can run straight through a poweramp.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by thefitz
Oh, gotcha.

Why, why, WHY are you after a separate pre/power amp anyway, especially with such a restricted budget? Separate pre/power amps is the mark of the tone conneseur who has $6000 to spend on a stack. There's no advantage to separate amps at that budget - and the advantage at any budget is subjective.

I was figuring I could get more watts for less money and only have to spend money on upgrading a pre amp.
Yep that is true but how many watts do you actually need. You dont have to upgrade a preamp you can just add on another to get even more tones.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I really don't think you're going to find any value in going separate like that - you can still "just get a preamp" if you buy a proper head - just plug the new preamp into the effects loop return.

Also, CARVIN.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I really don't think you're going to find any value in going separate like that - you can still "just get a preamp" if you buy a proper head - just plug the new preamp into the effects loop return.

Also, CARVIN.

BX1200 and cabinet of your choice. Honestly that is what I would go with, not the power amp idea.
Another +1 for Carvin.

The Avatar is gonna be about $400...that leaves a max of $500 for a Pre/Power amp setup...no good. I'd grab the Carvin BX600, which is just about what your budget allows for. Get the 4-ohm model of the 212 and you've got a 400W half stack with room for another 4-ohm cab. That'll be plenty, and you can do anything you want with the preamp on that thing.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Another +1 for Carvin.

The Avatar is gonna be about $400...that leaves a max of $500 for a Pre/Power amp setup...no good. I'd grab the Carvin BX600, which is just about what your budget allows for. Get the 4-ohm model of the 212 and you've got a 400W half stack with room for another 4-ohm cab. That'll be plenty, and you can do anything you want with the preamp on that thing.

I'll check out Carvin. Thats almost exactly what I wanted out of an amp.
Carvin has package deals, too. For a few hundred more, you'd have a proper STACK...
Quote by Cody_Grey102