what should I look for? Should I absolutely get? Should I avoid? Etc. Just starting out...let's say $300 budget.

Thanks all, Will
What kind of music do you play?

Would you buy something on eBay?
IdirtI

I sold my Parker Nitefly, Line 6 POD X3 Live and Crate Powerblock on Ebay. I'm depressed about it, so if I'm grumpy, that's why. = (
if your looking for an amp the 300 budget is pretty damn good.

are you willing to buy used

how loud do you want it to be

what kind of music do you want to play.
My Rig
------------------
Schecter Damien 6 (mod with 81/85 emg)
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Digitech RP250 (for Sale)
Quote by idirti
What kind of music do you play?

Would you buy something on eBay?

No, in a store. I prefer the LOOK of Orange amps, lol...but know nothing about 'em. I play...or TRY to play hard modern rock...i,e Shinedown, Godsmack, etc.
how loud?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
My little brother had a Roland Cube. It sounded pretty good for a cheap amp. He liked stuff like you seem to. You might want to try one of those out.
IdirtI

I sold my Parker Nitefly, Line 6 POD X3 Live and Crate Powerblock on Ebay. I'm depressed about it, so if I'm grumpy, that's why. = (
Quote by Shpunt
how loud?

Well, i'd like to be able to play it loud at times. I do know I want effects...which would I need? What should I look for?
really i would get a 40-50 watt amp and buy a multifx pedal if i was just beggining to play.
i ahve a digitech rp250 pedal thats just amazing and has everything youll ever need.
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Quote by Shpunt
really i would get a 40-50 watt amp and buy a multifx pedal if i was just beggining to play.
i ahve a digitech rp250 pedal thats just amazing and has everything youll ever need.

whats a pedal worth generally?
get the 30 watt peavey vypyr with the sanpera 1 footswitch, should cost u about 280 US in all and the vypyrs are really amazing amps for the price
and the 30 watts is plenty loud and its built in effects r pretty good and can be controlled with the footswitch
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
I 2nd the vypyr 30, I just got 1 a week ago and it is a nice amp.
unless you are playing in a very large open room, it is more than loud enough.
and you won't need any pedal, but the Sanpera will help you get everything out
of the unit.
I paid $200.00 for mine, no sanpera as yet
Quote by zegreatdane
get the 30 watt peavey vypyr with the sanpera 1 footswitch, should cost u about 280 US in all and the vypyrs are really amazing amps for the price
and the 30 watts is plenty loud and its built in effects r pretty good and can be controlled with the footswitch

Yeah do that, that amp is perfect for metal/rock for begginers/intermediate players.

expecially with a footswitch and it comes with efx.

and the rp250 is genrally around 100-150$
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
go with a Line 6 spider 3 75 watt. U will not be disappointed. every effect u would need for modern rock and more. $300 at GC.
My guitars:

Ibanez RG5EX1
Eleca Dread Acoustic
Dean ML

My FX: Line 6 Floor POD Plus

In the end, fact means nothing,
its all about perspective
Quote by hobozach
go with a Line 6 spider 3 75 watt. U will not be disappointed. every effect u would need for modern rock and more. $300 at GC.

You will be disappointed, they're pants.

The Vypyr is a great option, also look at the Roland Cube series and Vox Valvetronix...steer clear of the spiders though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
okay, been hearing about the cube from guys at work. Thanks all...I think I can at least narrow down my selection.

oh...PANTS is awesome! lol
Last edited by weewilly79 at Nov 10, 2008,
Heyy, Vox Valvetronix are very good man,perfect for your budget too,has effects built in too.
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
hmm.....blackheart if you want that tube sound, just my personal preference, and plenty loud.
I'd get a Vox Valvetronix or a Roland Cube model. I'd steer clear of anything else, especially some of the lower end Peavey models, the Fender Frontmans, the Marshalls in that price range and also steer clear of Line 6 amps.

Any amp that tries to do too much will inevitably be of crap quality and crap tone (i.e. Line 6 Spider, Fender G-decimator).
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
If you're just playing your bedroom just go out and buy a roland microcube and a decent multifx. I don't see the point in 30-70 watt amps. It's not big enough to gig and it's more power than you'll ever need in a bedroom.
Quote by steven seagull
You will be disappointed, they're pants.

The Vypyr is a great option, also look at the Roland Cube series and Vox Valvetronix...steer clear of the spiders though.

+1000... I highly recommend the Vypyr 75. Great amp right there, I gotta say.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
+1000... I highly recommend the Vypyr 75. Great amp right there, I gotta say.

I'm gettin one for practice.

vypyr seems good, even tho I've never cranked one before.

But I've only heard good things so far.

we'll see.
if your budget is 300, I just bought a Fender Super Champ XD and I can't say enough good things about it. It is very versatile and can get pretty friggen loud to boot. Definitely try one out when you go amp testing
I really gotta say I love the sound of the vypyr, but it's up to what you like. If you can't plug in to test them out try using youtube as a crappier substitute. For a comparison of the Vypyr's sound and the Spider's sound you can get a feel here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYslxyj4Qwk