Ok, so I know its bad technique, but I hold the pick with my thumb, pointer finger and middle finger when playing rhythm. I hold it with my thumb and pointer when playing leads. I do this because the pick slides around in between my fingerings if I don't have 3 fingers on it while playing rhythm. Anyone else do anything like this?
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
I do that to sometimes. Its not bad technique. Whatever works for you, as long as it doesn't hinder your ability.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
I use my thumb, index and middle finger when playing rhythm then switch to index and thumb only for lead.
Using the 3 finger way for rhythm gives me a stronger strum and comes in handy for the tremolo bits of chords like

etc.
Dunlop tortex H3's could end that issue, if you are seeking to correct. I can't stand slick picks cuz I sweat like balls playing live. . . . and my balls sweat like. . . . well I'm sure you could understand where that goes.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
it's not bad technique. if i am not mistaken, james hetfield plays that way.
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
No.

Thumb and Pointer finger is how I have always played..
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Quote by Jammin'
it's not bad technique. if i am not mistaken, james hetfield plays that way.

Well, then im not even going to try and change. Hetfield/Hammett is my favorite guitar duo of all time!
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
I wouldn't say it's bad technique. I sort of switch between normal style and the style you described depending on the situation, sometimes mid phrase. I don't know why but for speed picking or sweeping sometimes it just helps alot to hold the pick like that.
Carlos Santana plays like that and obviously he's lame cos he likes sad bird inlays lol j/k

FYI I believe Santana does it throughout rhythm and leadwork.