I am wanting to start a band. I've been playing around 2 and a 1/2 years, but know enough. 21 open, all the barre voicings, some jazz chords, strum patterns, theory, circles, etc.

Anyway, who should I get?

I have a friend who's been playing piano for about 2 and a 1/2 years, he knows piano as good as I know guitar. I'm sure he'd be good to have in the band.

I also have another friend that plays guitar. He's been playing about 4 - 6 years. He's pretty good too. Since I'm rythm, he could play lead.

But would he be too good for us?

what I mean is I want us to be around the same level. Not have everyone good, and then someone just blow us out of the water, you know?

so would the guitarist friend be okay, or would he be too far ahead of us?

Also, I want a jazz drummer, they're enthusiasm is that above normal drummers, imo anyway. Also they can be more creative with their drum riffs than normal drummers. But that's just my opinion.

But then, a jazz drummer would probably be too far ahead wouldnt he?
I don't think you should be too worried about them being to far ahead. By working with somebody more advanced it could help you guys get better, also add some good complexity to your music. Try it out if it doesn't work at least you tried.
i'd take them, alot of the time they can show you little tips and tricks, and they'll add a complexity to your music that you can build off of for future projects. They can also inspire you to become better, and they might accelerate your learning curve.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
i agree with anonymous9001
jam sesions help you get a feal for the musician
dont look for skill look for someone whos style gels with you and the rest of the band
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
y'all are helpful.

I guess being with someone advanced would kinda be like having a teacher there at band practice, so long as they dont get complacent and try to take over and in-fighting, etc.

but yeah, if cant make a band, then just jam for the hell of it.

thanks guys.
I don’t think the experience gap will be a problem. As long as one player’s ability isn’t holding up the song writing it should be fine.
I personally like being the lest experienced in the band I’m in because I can learn from the other guys as well as it forces me to improve my playing.
Quote by 24fRETSoFfURY
I don’t think the experience gap will be a problem. As long as one player’s ability isn’t holding up the song writing it should be fine.
I personally like being the lest experienced in the band I’m in because I can learn from the other guys as well as it forces me to improve my playing.

How do you mean 'holding up the song-writing'?

You mean like as long as someone isnt leeps and bounds ahead of us?
Quote by neptune1988
How do you mean 'holding up the song-writing'?

You mean like as long as someone isnt leeps and bounds ahead of us?

I mean as long as you can play other people’s ideas. If someone is writing stuff that is too technical or complex for others to play then that could lead to problems.
This shouldn’t be a problem though, because you would have agreed on what kind of stuff you want to be writing before hand.
our drummer has recently quitted and we need a drummer here in pasig city, philippines
Yeah its not bad to have people better than you, my friend went from being in a rut to really knowing his way around the instrument after working with the people in his band who, 3/5 of them, were more musically skilled at the time. This was only in 6 months i might add. So give it a shot, talk to the other guitarist and i definitely agree that you should go with a jazz drummer, the one who was in my friends band couldn't find anyone to give him lessons by the time he was 7 because he was better than all the teachers in the area (no they don't all suck, this kid is a friggin prodigy).
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Just play with anyone willing to play with you. You shouldn't feel intimidated by people who have more experience, you have been playing plenty long enough to contribute to songwriting and I'm sure having someone more along than you will help develop your lead chops as well. You just gotta play, for the most part.