alright well heres the deal. this is how bad it is. in algebra II, usually pretty easy class for me. we had a group/open note test. i know sounds ridiculously easy, right? well i am probably in the worst group of 4 in the class. so i wrote some probs down on a peice of paper and we finish the test tomorow,and i am asking the pit for help on a few problems. many thanks for your answers. sorry if they are hard to readd with exponents and such...

anything in bold is an exponent. sorry i know its hard to read, it would probably be easier if you wrote it down on paper for yourself

11. simplify

(7a-3b4) (-3a4b-5)4

15. if f(x) = 6x+3 and g(x) = 5x-2, what restrictions are on the domain of (f/g)(x)?

any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks!
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
15 first, then I'll do 11.

your composite function is:

6x + 3
----------
5x - 2

So that function is undefined when the denominator is 0, or when g(x) = 0.

5x - 2 = 0
x = 2/5
for restrictions, just remember that you cannot divide by 0. So anything that will make the denominator 0 is out.
11. -84ab-1

15. x cannot equal 2/5
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Whyy has no one posted stupid comments about rape and cumming blood?

Fail.

I'm just going to pull the 4 out and stick it back in at the end

(7a - 3b^4) x (-3(a^4)b - 5)

-21(a^5)b - 35a 7a times the second term in parentheses.
9(a^4)(b^5) + 15b^4 3b^4 times the second term in parentheses.

So you get:
-21(a^5)b - 35a + 9(a^4)(b^5) + 15b^4

And you just multiply all the coefficients by 4.
coool. thanks alot tigerking.

and edbert too for replying...

edit: and jewmasat...
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
11)
(7a - 3b^4) x (-3a^4 b^-5) x 4
=(7a - 3b^4) x (-12a^4 b^-5)
=(7a)(-12a^4 b^-5) + (-3b^4)(-12a^4 b^-5)
=(-84a^5 b^-5) + (36a^4 b^-1)

thats about as simple as it can go. you can factor out a 12 if you really wanted to. hope that helps
Hmm, valvetronix, me, and edbert all posted different answers for 11 based on how we interpreted the exponents. Do you have a graphing calculator? I'd plug it into that and use the expand function for the correct answer. Or try to find an online utility that does that.
Quote by tigerking615

I'm just going to pull the 4 out and stick it back in at the end

(7a - 3b^4) x (-3(a^4)b - 5)

-21(a^5)b - 35a 7a times the second term in parentheses.
9(a^4)(b^5) + 15b^4 3b^4 times the second term in parentheses.

So you get:
-21(a^5)b - 35a + 9(a^4)(b^5) + 15b^4

And you just multiply all the coefficients by 4.

(7a - 3b^4) x (-3(a^4)b - 5) <---- this line is incorrect (at least it looks this way)

I thought the second term was (-3(a^4)(b^-5))... unless I read the question wrong
yea i have one... not on me though. i just wrote down all the answers. ill use those to help me figure it out tomorow before class.
thanks alot everyone
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
Quote by tigerking615
Hmm, valvetronix, me, and edbert all posted different answers for 11 based on how we interpreted the exponents. Do you have a graphing calculator? I'd plug it into that and use the expand function for the correct answer. Or try to find an online utility that does that.

I think edbert is trying to add the last 2 terms together, which you cannot do, since they the 'a' and 'b' have different exponents
Quote by ValvetronixRox
(7a - 3b^4) x (-3(a^4)b - 5) <---- this line is incorrect (at least it looks this way)

I thought the second term was (-3(a^4)(b^-5))... unless I read the question wrong

yaaa your write with the second term i beleive. just dont forget the exponent 4 outside the parenthesis
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab