i bought a B-52 212 combo back in june or july from GC. after playing about 5 minutes today, firstly, i get fluctuations in volume, then i start smelling "burning electronics," and i look down and there's smoke coming from the amp. i immediately turn off the amp and unplugged it. then i took the chassis out and saw this:

its a resistor on the circuit board under the power transformer. i'm wondering is it worth me taking the amp to a tech to get it fixed, or should i start looking into another amp?? do you think i need a new circuit board, or just the resistor, and how much do you think it would cost to repair something like this?

P.S. i meticulously made sure the amp was properly warmed up and cooled down from day one, but being a floor model, i don't know how it was handled before. and on a side note, i've heard that these amps come with cheap tubes, all of mine were Electro Harmonix except for the one on the FX loop, and sovtek power tubes.
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
Does if have a warranty? I'd look into that first.

Second, a bad resistor should be pretty easy to change out, I wouldn't think more than 50 dollars, though I could be wrong. As long as the trace on the other side isn't damaged the circuit will be just fine.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Take it to a tech then, it should be pretty simple and inexpensive to fix, 50 is probably on the high side of what it'd cost.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
just an update, I did find my receipt and it is under warranty. the authorized tech said that the output tubes and the rectifier tube went bad and fried the power transformer board and output transformer board. all of that is under warranty, but I have to pay for the tubes. so I'm still out $200. Both the tech and I agree that I should look into other amps in the future, because this happened under light practice; imagine if I was gigging. Point is STAY away from cheap quality!!
Guitars:

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
Palomino V16...dead
Things happen. Not everything can always be perfect.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Buy jj's
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by forsaknazrael
How are the tubes worth 200 dollars?

2 – 6L6 / 5881 - 40 bucks.
5 – 12AX7 - 65 bucks.

i dunno he told me the output tube set is $155 and $28 for the rectifier tube. i guess the $200 includes labor as well.
Guitars:

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
Palomino V16...dead
Last edited by kasso at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by l3p4rd
Things happen. Not everything can always be perfect.

I understand that. Mine is only a single case, but the tech is an authorized B52 repairer. He told me that with all the "common" problems of boards burning out with B52s, he won't recommend them. what good is the tone/price when the amp is in repair every couple months?
Guitars:

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
Palomino V16...dead
^yeah, I agree. Even if the $200 includes labor, just tell the guy you'll take care of that yourself. That is their way of getting some money out of you. I'm not so sure you even need to replace ALL the tubes. You would be better off figuring out what you want for tubes and doing it yourself.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 8, 2009,
are you sure there isnt a warranty, almost every amp i can think of comes with a warranty when you buy it new?

edit/ ok you do.
well buy the tubes off the internet for much cheaper, get it fixed, and trade it in or sell it and get something more reliable.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Jan 8, 2009,
^Read his next post.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by kckyle
yet there are a crap load of b 52 fanboy out there

huh? that doesn't even make sense. where you talking to me?

^he has a warranty but his shop is telling him he has to pay for the new tubes himself. For all I know he does need new tubes but the amp is on sale right now for $360.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
huh? that doesn't even make sense. where you talking to me?

^he has a warranty but his shop is telling him he has to pay for the new tubes himself. For all I know he does need new tubes but the amp is on sale right now for $360.

no i was referring to how unreliable these amps are and yet so many people like them simply because its tube and its cheap.
^Ok, because I have recommended them in the past and especially now with the current sell price but I'm not a fanboy of B52. It seems most tube amps that are under $1,000 new that are geared for metal have issues of some kind, even the Randalls, so to some degree it is a toss up.

man I agree with you about under $1000. this is why the economy is bad right now. we've been desensitized so much that no amp under $1000 is worth buying and no guitar under $1000 is worth buying, etc. all these companies are so full of themselves that their low end is so cheap and ****ty and yet there is a huge price difference to the next step up...

/Rant
Guitars:

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
Palomino V16...dead
Last edited by kasso at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by kasso
man I agree with you about under $1000. this is why the economy is bad right now. we've been desensitized so much that no amp under $1000 is worth buying and no guitar under $1000 is worth buying, etc. all these companies are so full of themselves that their low end is so cheap and ****ty and yet there is a huge price difference to the next step up...

/Rant

I would highly disagree on the guitar part. There are tons of great guitars under a grand.
Mid Range Jacksons, Schecters and LTD's are great guitars.

And if your smart and look used you can find something great for under a grand. For example you can get a used Ampeg VH-140C for under 500 easily. Used 5150s arent that much more.

You just have to know what to look for.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
^^That's not at all how it works. Companies make most of their money on the cheaper amps they sell. Go to your local GC, and for every JCM2000 sold, there will be 10 MGs and 10 spiders sold, and that isn't even an exaggeration. The low end amps are crap because there's a constant price war and companies will cut corners anywhere they can on their cheapest models because if they can shave $10 off the price, they can sell 10% more units, which is where their profit is.
The expensive models are typically to retain the prestige of the line, not to make tons of money. I'm sure they're profitable, but the volume isn't nearly the same.
I'd argue with the store... I mean, this is completely product defect at work. None of it sounds like your fault. They should replace the damned thing (or at least repair it) for free.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate