SO, my band is writing songs faster than a redneck chasing a turkey and we are not sure how many songs we need b4 we get a gig. We have a lot of small venues and connections in our area, so GETTING the gig is no prob. We have been together for less than a month and we have 4 songs complete and about 6 in the works, and we are all talented and can memorize songs in no time. So, wat y'all think?
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Well, how long are the songs? My band only plays 4-5 songs, but they are all between 10 and 20 minutes long. That might help
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
I suggest maybe doing a cover or so when you do your first gig and maybe one of your bands songs. Just to start out because if someone in the audience can make a connection to a cover and people know it, people will like your band more.
Quote by xToxicChopstick
I suggest maybe doing a cover or so when you do your first gig and maybe one of your bands songs. Just to start out because if someone in the audience can make a connection to a cover and people know it, people will like your band more.

+1
ya, I thought a cover would be a good idea too. Also, why is this a dumb question? I don;t have performing experience and I didn't know if someone would have some advice. The analogy was supposed to be dumb. Our songs so far range from 4 to about 6 minutes.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Time out your current setlist.
Find out how long the sets are at your local places. If you've got too much, cut some off or switch it around for different gigs, if you've got too little, than just go until you've got enough to cover the whole slot and then some
Well you may have a bunch of songs but how do you sound playing together? Perhaps you should spend a month or 2 going over the songs making sure you're tighter than a ducks arse before you play live.
Seeing how you’ve only being playing together for a month I'd guess it wouldn't hurt to wait a bit.
true, btw we sound pretty sick together.We probably will wait a while, we're really just eager to get out there and have people hear our music.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Venues usually give you 30 to 45 minutes, if you have enough songs that fill that time slot you should be fine.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Im going to sound cavalier. But frankly if you guys are ok in a situation where you dont have everything planned before and you're all pretty good muscians then go for it. Just enjoy it frankly and the audience will like it as well as long as u dont sound totally shite and ur bass is with the beats and singers in key and stuff
My band knows eight songs together, and the other 8 the guitarist knows. We're constantly learning the other songs, but we've been able to gig with 9 songs, one being a cover and we filled a 50 minute set. It all depends on how long the songs are and how long the set it at the show. Just learn as many as you can before the show.
All of this is well and good, but I think it should be said in all situations you should have a few extra songs than the length of the set you are playing.

Reasons being: encores (if you get really lucky.....), extended time of a set for whatever reason, the venue likes you and asks you to play a few more songs, other reasons.....Also, sometimes what is longer at practice is sped up a bit at the show due to energy and such, so you run ahead of time.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Id say you need to practice for more than a month ( assuming you don't practice everyday) to be tight and know what you are doing and what your bandmates are doing.
Learn 90 minutes worth of material (general rule of thumb, allow about 5 minutes per song) which is about 18 songs. And by 'learn' I mean learn them properly.
Why 90 minutes? Well that's an hour and a half, which is a fairly standard set time and can also be split into two 45 minute sets with a break in the middle, another standard set.
Now you are set up to play almost any set that will be asked of you.
When you first start playing gigs, you'll more than likely be playing for around 20-30 minutes, for these gigs, just put your very best stuff in the set and once you start playing your own shows, where you're the headliner, always have a couple of extra numbers in hand, incase they shout for more.
So all in all, I'd say about 20 songs should do it nicely.
To Slacker:

We get by on a repetoire of 12 songs, we play 6/7 in a half hour and if we are ever asked to play for longer we either put the rest of the songs in or we learn an intresting/wacky cover, i would ideally like to know more but we were in the process of getting lots of offers for gig before our singer dumped us, immature girl that she is, anway... would you suggest that we learn more or keep with what he have for the moment?
Quote by Symmetry4321
To Slacker:

We get by on a repetoire of 12 songs, we play 6/7 in a half hour and if we are ever asked to play for longer we either put the rest of the songs in or we learn an intresting/wacky cover, i would ideally like to know more but we were in the process of getting lots of offers for gig before our singer dumped us, immature girl that she is, anway... would you suggest that we learn more or keep with what he have for the moment?

Learn more.
A band is a constantly ongoing process, songs come and go in the set or otherwise it gets boring fast, but even when a song is dropped from the set, it's still in the back catalogue.
Eventualy, you end up with a huge back catalogue
^ Spot on Slacker. Always learn more or it gets boring, especially if you gig regularly as you end up doing the same set every night and then your bass player will murder your singer..... no? just my band? oh okay..... but anyway big repitoire is the secret to keeping your band together and interesting.
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
Quote by bonzo_lives
Always learn more or it gets boring, especially if you gig regularly as you end up doing the same set every night and then your bass player will murder your singer..... no? just my band?

Other way around in my band. I am the singer.
Ok. So we know about three covers together and then our 4(so far). Thing is our drummer gets really bored on the covers. He is an amazing drummer and songs like "RIot" by 3DG I'm sure suck for him, but I guess He'll just have to take one for the team.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino