Alright, so i've been seeing the word used constantly, especially when associated with the Kahler system, and changing pickups. I've seen it used two ways, both of which I have questions about:

I've seen it used as a verb when spoken about changing pickups. First of all, how do you "solder" something? How is this concerned with changing pickups? How DO you change pickups?

I've also seen it used as a noun, as in "When changing strings on the Kahler system, bend the wrapped windings near the bottom of the strings and cover them in melted solder". What does this mean? And are there any other ways to extend the life of guitar strings on the Kahler system?
well solder is like something that heats up really really hot and connects cables, and well the first use is just the verb solder, and the second use is also used because the 'metal refills' used to solder are called solder
dont quote me on this, its just what i understand from the term.
cheers1!
sol⋅der
   /ˈsɒdər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sod-er] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. any of various alloys fused and applied to the joint between metal objects to unite them without heating the objects to the melting point.
2. anything that joins or unites: the solder of their common cause.
–verb (used with object)
3. to join (metal objects) with solder.
4. to join closely and intimately: two fates inseparably soldered by misfortune.
5. to mend; repair; patch up.
–verb (used without object)
6. to unite things with solder.
7. to become soldered or united; grow together.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
It's like glue.

You can glue two pieces of paper together. Glue is what you use to do that. The word can be used as a noun or verb..
Okay, I read the link on Wikipedia that gnomieowns posted. Now, what kind of metal would I used to solder something, and how would I melt it?
Quote by tehguitarnub
Okay, I read the link on Wikipedia that gnomieowns posted. Now, what kind of metal would I used to solder something, and how would I melt it?

you solder with solder, and melt it with a soldering iron.

ironic.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
You usually just buy/ask for solder or soldering metal which is tin and something else. You heat it with a soldering iron. I'm sure you could find both of these at a hardware store (home depot, Lowes etc.)
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14