in the pentatonics box shape I noticed the root note of A minor starts in A and in C major pentatonics it starts with C but they look the same....
Correct, I believe Am is the relative minor of C. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just really tired atm).

edit:: Damn, beat to it.

Mah Gear
Jackson DK2M -- Washburn X50 ProQ -- Epihone Les Paul Standard
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

A minor is the relative minor of C Major. That means they have different tonic (root) notes, but the same key signature (same number of sharps and flats, and of course, C Major has none).
From what I understand there are five different box shapes for the pentatonic scales. So it can have the same shape and in that case they have the same notes that comprise the final scale but they get to it diffrently. For C Major Penta it is 1,2,3,5,6, but for A Minor Penta it is 1,b3,4,5,b7. Hope that helps
A guitar is your personality expressed through 6 strings.
so this is A minor but to make it C major im gonna start in 8 fret from the bottom E?
E|---------------------------------------------5---8---|
B|-------------------------------------5---8-----------|
G|----------------------------5---7--------------------|
D|-------------------5---7-----------------------------|
A|----------5---7--------------------------------------|
E|-5---8-----------------------------------------------|
Yes and no. They contain the same notes; A minor, however, is centered on the A and resolves to A, whereas C major resolves to C and focuses on that note. They feel different, even if they are technically the same notes, because they focus on different notes, and that is where the differentiation between the two comes in.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
The C natural major scale and the A natural minor scale contain the same notes. However, they are separate scales and it is impossible to solo over a C major progression with the Am scale by definition. The chords in the key of Am are different as well; Em is often replaced by E or E7 and it is in fact unusual for one to play Em in the key of Am.

Boxes, shapes, patterns, and positions have nothing to do with music theory. If you understand theory, you should be able to explain it to a trumpet player, where boxes, shapes, patterns, and positions don't matter.
focusing on that shape how will you do a solo in the key of A and C? pardon me......
Quote by chichong
focusing on that shape how will you do a solo in the key of A and C? pardon me......
I have no idea if this is directed to me and if it is, I don't know if you're in agreement with me, but I am right.
E||--------------------------|--------------------------|
B||--------------------------|--------------------------|
G||--------------------------|--------------------------|
D||--------------------------|-----------5-----5--7--5--|
A||--------------5-----5--7--|-----5--7-----7-----------|
E||--8--5--8--5-----8--------|--------------------------|

--------------------------|-----------------5-----5--|--8--5--8~--------------|
-----------------------5--|-----5--8--5--8-----8-----|------------------------|
-----5-----5--7--5--7-----|--7-----------------------|------------------------|
--7-----7-----------------|--------------------------|------------------------|
--------------------------|--------------------------|------------------------|
--------------------------|--------------------------|------------------------|

can I play this?
What you typed is a C major pentatonic lick if played in a C major context and Am Pentatonic lick if played in an Am context.

See why patterns and box shapes don't matter theory-wise?
confused .......to play C start in 8 fret and to play in A start in 5 fret? (using the same box pattern)
Forget about the same notes thing!! A painting by michael angelo and 1 by Van Gogh maybe use the same colours, but they are nothing alike. Music is EXACTLY the same thing

The only thing they have in common are notes. How u use em is a different thing.

A cruiseline ship and a sailship are essentially the same thing, but it's how they are used what gives them their character, and what defines them more then just "boat".

Musical Equivalent =
A C Major scale and A minor scale are essentially the same thing (same notes and chords that can be derived from it) It's how you use em what gives them their character, and what defines them more then just "the same scale"

(I like weird examples, but it is true)

I suggest you find out their relationship to their root notes and chords. Find a lesson on modes, and if u don't understand it find a music teacher (can be pianoteacher, guitarteacher doesn't matter) Ask him/her what modes are and how they work. Trust me, a (good) teacher can explain it in like 15 minutes.

If I could talk to u in person, I could show u. When u show it on an instrument with musical examples, it makes 10x more sense then from paper.

Tl;Tr?
too bad

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 10, 2008,
The way i was taught was that most of the time, you either start or end on the tonic (excluding anacrusis). I don't think this rule is set in stone but I think it's a good place to start. Major scales have a happy sound, while minor have a sadder tone.
So basically its the notes you put emphasis on that makes it minor or major (it's a lot more complicated than that, but thats all i've got right now)
Quote by one vision
^^ They actually DON'T use the same chords.

If you're playing "minor", you have more chords to work with. You are able to create them based not only on the Natural Minor, but also on the Harmonic minor.

If you check the OP, it questions "is A minor same as C major". In this aspect they share the same notes and therefore the same chords.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
how does this thread have 2 pages? do 20 different people really need to answer possibly the most common question on this forum?!
Quote by xxdarrenxx
If you check the OP, it questions "is A minor same as C major". In this aspect they share the same notes and therefore the same chords.

That doesn't mean I should clarify the difference between them further.

In this case, he should have asked is C Ionian the same as A Aeolian. Which aren't the same anyways.
Quote by one vision
That doesn't mean I should clarify the difference between them further.

In this case, he should have asked is C Ionian the same as A Aeolian. Which aren't the same anyways.

U haven't read my initial post ffs. They have the same notes but different characteristics.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yes.
No.

Very different sound, very different resolve

On sheet music though, the key signiture will look the same, and it is the same notes, just a different order