The US Copyright Office wants 35 dollars per copyright, if I register them online. Now I assume I need one on each song, so since I just finished my album (8 songs) that's... 280 dollars. Probably about 4 times as much as I'll make on this album.

Now I know that I technically own the copyright even without registering, but if there was ever a dispute that wouldn't really hold up.

Anyone else ever been in this situation? I really do want to get my songs copyrighted, but damn, it's too expensive.
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
That's business my friend.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
Write them out and mail them to yourself?
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by BrokenBricks

+1. I'm not sure how you go about doing this, but that's one way of doing it.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by BrokenBricks

This doesn't really work.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I am pretty sure that you copyright just the entire album, not the individual songs.

But you would be better off contacting a Copyright lawyer to be sure.
Quote by BrokenBricks

that's been shown to not hold up in court.

Just bite the bullet and copyright it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by AgentWiggles
The US Copyright Office wants 35 dollars per copyright, if I register them online. Now I assume I need one on each song, so since I just finished my album (8 songs) that's... 280 dollars. Probably about 4 times as much as I'll make on this album.

Now I know that I technically own the copyright even without registering, but if there was ever a dispute that wouldn't really hold up.

Anyone else ever been in this situation? I really do want to get my songs copyrighted, but damn, it's too expensive.

intellectual property is bullshit. Don't sell music.
Quote by Xiaoxi
This doesn't really work.

Why do you think I put a question mark there, hotshot.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
As far as I know if you just send a bunch of songs at once it's the same price...I think.

Personally if I was you I wouldn't bother and I'd wait untill you got more songs AND more people who want to buy your music.
Quote by AgentWiggles

people will probably still rip off your stuff if it is copyrighted, as long is its pretty good and pretty unknown a copyright wont stop people from doing so. so no it is not worth it unless you have a band that is pretty big even in the underground scene
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Sure it does, it has an official date on it from a federal institution. Just leave it sealed and this should work fine, it's the poor man's copyright.

That's what I thought, as long as it's officially dated, and not opened, it should be able to be used as evidence which is more or less all a copyright really is.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Sure it does, it has an official date on it from a federal institution. Just leave it sealed and this should work fine, it's the poor man's copyright.

http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2006/08/25/the-myth-of-poor-mans-copyright/

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
1. You can pay the fee one time for a whole album. You don't have to pay it for each song.

2. Regarding the "poor man's copyright," this is from the U.S. Copyright Office website FAQ's:

'I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.'

EDIT: If I didn't know better, I'd think the poor man's version would work myself. But, come on, no way in hell is the U.S. gov't giving you that protection for the price of a stamp
"But first...are you...experienced?"
Last edited by w1L17 at Nov 9, 2008,
Quote by w1L17
1. You can pay the fee one time for a whole album. You don't have to pay it for each song.

2. Regarding the "poor man's copyright," this is from the U.S. Copyright Office website FAQ's:

'I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.'

Of course it's not a substitute for a real copyright, but if you were in a court battle, and you had that evidence, it's still better than nothing.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
Quote by BrokenBricks
Of course it's not a substitute for a real copyright, but if you were in a court battle, and you had that evidence, it's still better than nothing.

No. It is nothing.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Read the article Xiaoxi posted. He's right, it is nothing. Doesn't hold up in court, and personally, I'm not into public humiliation to that extent.

Sanity is not statistical
Quote by BrokenBricks

This is PURELY my own opinion. Here goes: If the government can make $35 (or more) off any ol' Joe Sixpack who wants a copyright, why would they let an envelope stand up in court? Srsly
"But first...are you...experienced?"
Quote by Xiaoxi
No. It is nothing.

Haha, you're right. I didn't feel like reading your article, but I did and I'm very wrong.

That does suck though, OP is shit out of luck pretty much.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
Quote by Xiaoxi
No. It is nothing.

Exactly. Any experienced prosecutor or even your own lawyer will find a severe hole in this theory of "Poor Man's Copyright". Any envelope can easily be opened and sealed again, and a copy of something that has not been proven as yours is not legitimate evidence in the eyes of the Court. Just because you send something to yourself does not mean you created it. If I send a random CD to myself, that does not mean I created the work. If you honestly believe you created Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction album because you sent it to yourself, you have a lot of logic that needs to be fixed.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha