So I'm looking to get a new guitar that better suits the music i play. (it can go anywhere from death metal to more jazzy, circa survive sounding clean stuff)

I really don't wanna spend more than $400 or $500.

Right now Ive been checking out an Ibanex RG350DX but i haven't been able to make it up to Guitar Center to try one out (since i live an hour away...)
However,
My cousin is selling his ESP guitar for $300. He says he bought if for about $500 or $600. I'm not sure of the model of this guitar i just know it looks and plays like an ibanez.

Which should i go for??
If it has EMGs then rule it out right away.
And you cannot possibly find a guitar in that range that does metal and jazz well. I suggest saving for 2 different good guitars.
But if not just get something with an H/S/S Config.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Generally ESP uses agathis some-such wood for their lower end guitars, which is bad for tone and sustain...so check the wood first, mahagony or alder would be best.

I'd recommend looking for anything that has Seymour Duncan's. Particularly the hot-rodded set, good for jazz cleans and metal though they are definitely a bit more on the 'trebley' side when it comes to distortion...

I have a jackson DXMG with passive EMG's that are actually surprisingly good with cleans, was only about 465.00...could check that out...
To LaGrange: Why would he rule out a guitar simply because of EMG's? EMG's might actually be your friend in this situation. They are built in order to do the extremes: High/Really High gain, and really jazzy clean. Everything in the middle isn't perfect, but it's not what EMG is known for (in most instances). What kind of amp are you playing through? Your amp would control more of your diversity then your guitar.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by LaGrange
And you cannot possibly find a guitar in that range that does metal and jazz well. I suggest saving for 2 different good guitars.

yes you can, check out schecter guitars, i have an Omen-6 (which is one of their lower end models) and i'm completely happy with it, and i only paid $250 for it (it was actually $350 but i got a ton of discounts) it's really versatile, i play both metal, jazz and some alternative and indie too
Quote by LaGrange

If absolutely necessary i could go $800