So i recently purchased a Peavy ValveKing Halfstack tube amp and I'm having some troubles. Everything sounds perfect if i have the volume at about 2 or below but when i turn it up any higher my notes seem to get jumbled and run together. The lows sound OK but my Highs just get lost in the mix. Most of the time this makes it seem like just noise coming out of my amp.

The guitar I'm using is an Epiphone G-400 with an EMG 81 at the bridge and an EMG 85 in the neck . I run it through a line 6 POD XT Live pedle but, I'm investing in a Metal Muff pedal for my distortion.

Can someone please help me to fix this mess??
i would much appreciate it
Run your guitar straight to the amp and see if that help. Also, try turning down the gain.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Why don't you using the VK's distortion instead? A distortion pedal on that amp is a waste imo. If you want a useful pedal, but an OD and boost the gain channel.

What are your settings?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why don't you using the VK's distortion instead? A distortion pedal on that amp is a waste imo. If you want a useful pedal, but an OD and boost the gain channel.

What are your settings?

On my amp im guessing?

Well ive only had it for about a week and i got it shipped from guitar center. It was supposed supposed to have a footswitch to switch between channels and it didnt ship with it. Im trying to get them to give me one but since i havent had one i havent messed with the distortion on the amp. Instead if just used the VKs clean channel and ran my pedals distortion.

So would you suggest i purchase an OD pedal rather than the Metal Muff?
Yeah, it probably sounds like garbage because you're using too much gain on the pod with one of the metal settings. I'd give the VKs distortion a shot if I was you, should sound much better.
^Agree
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
Gotta agree with the above posters, I use a VK100 myself and even playing some reasonably heavy stuff I don't run the gain past 2 o'clock. The ValveKing gets rather sloppy with too much gain but try the distortion channel with a moderate amount of gain and the mids set a little bit higher than the bass and treble settings.

If you're after a really saturated metal sound though, I'd invest in a nice overdrive pedal and use that to push the amp harder.
Quote by Weybl Himself
Gotta agree with the above posters, I use a VK100 myself and even playing some reasonably heavy stuff I don't run the gain past 2 o'clock. The ValveKing gets rather sloppy with too much gain but try the distortion channel with a moderate amount of gain and the mids set a little bit higher than the bass and treble settings.

If you're after a really saturated metal sound though, I'd invest in a nice overdrive pedal and use that to push the amp harder.

Any suggestions for an Overdrive Pedal?

And thank you all for your help.
On a budget the bad monkey would work, or even a simple line drive like the LPB-1.

If you've got a few more bucks then a fulltone OCD or maybe a tubescreamer would be a good choice.
Quote by Segataritendo
Any suggestions for an Overdrive Pedal?

And thank you all for your help.

Ideally, something like a Tube Screamer, the new TS7 isn't too bad if you can't afford the TS9 or TS808 reissues. The Bad Monkey is a nice piece of work too, probably the best value pedal I've ever owned. Whichever one you choose, I'd use it with a flat EQ on the pedal, and wind up the gain and level controls with the amp on the distortion channel with the gain set about 12 o'clock. But obviously you should fiddle until you find what works for you.
Everything these guys have said is true.

Don't forget the 'dummy jack trick'.

You can find that, more info, and clips in The Valveking Thread.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296

Bad Monkey will work great on this amp!
i have the vk 100 hd. dont like the distortion on it, so i throw my metal muff in front of it. Sounds MUCH better than the amps distotion... MUCH MUCH better.
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.