Seriously, Unless you're Billy Sheehan, its not fun. I mean, I can understand in certain contexts, you would hold the groove, but how would you not fall asleep playing the same 4 notes, over and over again. I'm not denying its usefulness, but I just can't figure out why people wanna play it. There was never any "Bass Heros" like the Hendrix of the bass [Sheehan and Geddy Lee are the exception, and they play it like a lead guitar]. Enlighten me on why you choose the bass.
listen to flea, les claypool, john paul jones then respond with an intelligent thread.

how many more dumb threads are you going to post?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
listen to flea, les claypool, john paul jones then respond with an intelligent thread.

how many more dumb threads are you going to post?
but how do they not get limited by 4 strings? I mean, I just can't fathom it.
Quote by King Loudness
but how do they not get limited by 4 strings? I mean, I just can't fathom it.

they must just be more creative and musically inclined than you...believe it or not
John Entwistle
Cliff Burton

As well as everyone and everything else JLT73 said
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by King Loudness

Well, he is right after all, you are.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Guitar is just as "limited" as bass.

Yeah a lot of bassists just play root notes, but there are a lot of bassists that have parts more intricate than the guitarists in their band.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by King Loudness
There was never any "Bass Heros" like the Hendrix of the bass [Sheehan and Geddy Lee are the exception, and they play it like a lead guitar]. Enlighten me on why you choose the bass.

because not everyone is out to be a 'hero' like Jimi hendrix...
not everyone is a tool.
Even though I am a guitarist first, I highly respect bassists. A mediocre bassist does the bare minimum in a song; hold a steady and full rhythm. A good bassist goes out of their way to make a song interesting, good-sounding, and incorporates as many useful techniques to achieve the sounds they need. It's also a very difficult instrument to do well in, keep in mind. There is far more demand in coordination with your right hand and your left, however, this also matches classical guitarists. This does not undermine a bassist's importance in a band setting. No bassist = no rhythm = no song.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by pepsi1187
sooo without a high E and B string.. a guitar is useless?

That brings nothing to this thread. I think the reason why people become bassists is because they like being the underrated guy, the one who does all the background work. The one that does not need a flashy solo or insane singing to look good in the band. He/she does not care for fame, bassists care for personal achievement of their instrument. However this is not to say guitarists and other band members are show-offs, it's just that they are more easily attached to this stereotype.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by King Loudness
Seriously, Unless you're Billy Sheehan, its not fun. I mean, I can understand in certain contexts, you would hold the groove, but how would you not fall asleep playing the same 4 notes, over and over again. I'm not denying its usefulness, but I just can't figure out why people wanna play it. There was never any "Bass Heros" like the Hendrix of the bass [Sheehan and Geddy Lee are the exception, and they play it like a lead guitar]. Enlighten me on why you choose the bass.

DAVE ELLEFSON AND CLIFF BURTON
and i must say, that I LOVE YOU king loudness
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by no_thing101
who plays bass? a failed guitarist! (its a joke dont kill me)

flame flame flame rant rant rant

LOL
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
yeah bassists are more like the playmakers in a team. they dont stand out or score crazy goals. they assist everyone else. its a modest instrument for modest people.
Quote by Graveworm
Trust me, it would make more sense to ask the BASS FORUM.

actually, thats probably a bad plan. you know, since most of those people play bass and would (rightly) take offense to the original post.

TS, i say if you can reword this so that it is much less offensive, you might possibly give it a try. you know, something more along the lines of "i havent really seen too much interesting bass work, how do bassists keep things interesting? is there some reason to choose bass over guitar?" or something along those lines. until then, these people have given you enough of an answer that you can explore until you are ready to not make a fool of yourself.