Page 1 of 2
Frankly, I have never understood why Hendrix is considered such a great guitarist. Skillswise he sucks. He plays sloppy and his bends are sour, his intonation is sometimes really bad and his music is uninspiring. Did music suck so much back then or what??
I mean do you guys who like Hendrix ever lock the doors and turn off the lights, get a drink and listen in amazement and say "wow this is some deep shit, his guitar sings, he is so unique and talented, I have never heard of anything similar before"? Does his music make you think, can it change your mood? I don't know about you but when I listen to Hendrix I usually think how superficial, mediocre, ordinary and mainstream he is and how sloppy and a bad guitarist he is.
I mean common, how many times can you listen to an artist who's songs consists of generally 3 chords and the pentatonic scale or the blues scale played over and over again. C'mon man it's BOOOORING!
you are going to piss a lot of people off. I like jimi hendrix, but i personally think he's a little overrated. He's good, and innovative, but overrated
He really is overrated, is he good? Hell yes he is.

Some people just assume if something is overrated it will be bad >_>. Ipods are overrated, are they bad? No .>_>
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
...You don't realize that most of what is known as "rock" is because of him, led zeppelin and acdc and other bands right? Im guessing you're a metal lover otherwise you wouldn't be bitching. Hendrix is a man who can sing and play like a beast. His solos are out of this world, and his rhythms are something I've heard no where else before.

If you listened to him back then and then listened to the music now, you'd think otherwise, but since you listen to your favorite bands now and listen to him you think he ripped them off, no, they ripped him off.

Long Live the name of the GOD who was Jimi Hendrix.

FYI: Back then music never made you sit down with a drink and say 'Wow this is amazing' back then it helped you relax or it helped you rock out.

Who is your favorite band for the record?
Quote by King Loudness
I have never heard of anything similar before"?

Thats cause everyone drew influences from him.
I have never liked his style. I think the reason he is considered a legend is because everyone liked the "break the rules" style in that era. It was considered to be amazing.
Quote by ChrisL120
...You don't realize that most of what is known as "rock" is because of him, led zeppelin and acdc and other bands right? Im guessing you're a metal lover otherwise you wouldn't be bitching. Hendrix is a man who can sing and play like a beast. His solos are out of this world, and his rhythms are something I've heard no where else before.

If you listened to him back then and then listened to the music now, you'd think otherwise, but since you listen to your favorite bands now and listen to him you think he ripped them off, no, they ripped him off.

Long Live the name of the GOD who was Jimi Hendrix.

FYI: Back then music never made you sit down with a drink and say 'Wow this is amazing' back then it helped you relax or it helped you rock out.

Who is your favorite band for the record?
Jason Becker
explain why hes had great influence on a good bit of the jazz greats? and why so many jazz greats wanted to jam with him?
I personally do not listen to his music, but it seems like you have a problem with his music for no reason, if you don't like it.... don't listen to it, there is no need to go around bashing ppl dude.
D;
He was great for what he did at the time, and one of the most influential guitarists of all time, he bridged the gap between us and then
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Thinking Jason Becker is amazing is bad? Oh noes.
Quote by Echoplex

Quote by ChrisL120

???

Most metal heads dig Hendrix. as a metalhead i know this.

Hendrix is a fantastic guitar player. He gets alot of credit, but that doesnt make him any less of a phenominal player. He was way ahead of his time. Listen to anything else in 1964-1970. Name 1 guitar player who sounded anything like he did. Theres an old saying, I believe it was John Bonham I read who said it. "If you never make mistakes, your not trying anything new" If Hendrix was ever sloppy, it was because he was pushing his limits.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at Nov 10, 2008,
I dont really like Hendrix either. Hes skilled, ill give him that, many people worship him basically, so obviously hes good, but i think its overrated. he just doesnt appeal to me, granted im more of a metal/shred lover. dont get me wrong, hes good, but just a tad overrated
Quote by KennethJay
Thinking Jason Becker is amazing is bad? Oh noes.

...Completely missed my point.

Neo-Classical METAL guitarists.
Quote by PixieDust13
No, but AC/DC is overrated lets discuss them.
oh hell yes. AC/DC should be hooked up to IVs now.
Quote by rebeltildeth87
???

Most metal heads dig Hendrix. as a metalhead i know this.

Me too. I love Hendrix. But I do think people go nuts over him sometimes.

But yeah. Metalheads can only like metal I guess..

SHREDSHREDSHRED
Quote by ChrisL120
...Completely missed my point.

Neo-Classical METAL guitarists.

Wait what was your point in the first place? o_o -has an attention span of a rodent-
Quote by Echoplex

My point is, there are the ignorant metal heads who think "ZOMG HE CANTZ SHRED HE SUXORS KIRK HAMMET IS BETTER"

catch my drift?

To everyone else about most metal heads not like hendrix, I always word things oddly and they're understood wrong. My point was this guy must not like him because he thinks anyone who doesn't shred, is not a good guitarist.
Honestly, he's my favorite guitarist. His music just speaks to me. Yes, he is overrated, skill wise. modern guitarist could definately beat him technically, but does that make them more enjoyable to me? no. so if you dont' like him, too f*cking bad, i dont' like metallica, i didn't make a thread.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
The reason people think he's overrated now, is because a bunch of people are doing what he did. Back then, he was the first. He started it. Back then it was revolutionary. Even today it's outstanding, just not as unique. Noone had every played rythm and lead like him before.
Quote by ChrisL120
My point is, there are the ignorant metal heads who think "ZOMG HE CANTZ SHRED HE SUXORS KIRK HAMMET IS BETTER"

catch my drift?

To everyone else about most metal heads not like hendrix, I always word things oddly and they're understood wrong. My point was this guy must not like him because he thinks anyone who doesn't shred, is not a good guitarist.

you show me a metal head who says kirk hammet can outshred hendrix and ill show you a poser who probably thinks Metallica is a death metal band.

EDIT: I will agree that most metalheads are closed minded. I have always had alot of respect for classic rock guitarists, and quiet a few metalheads do too.
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at Nov 10, 2008,
Quote by ChrisL120

catch my drift?

don't get me started on Kirk Hammett.......
Quote by rebeltildeth87
you show me a metal head who says kirk hammet can outshred hendrix and ill show you a poser who probably thinks Metallica is a death metal band.

everyone knows metallica is black metal....duh.
^--Oh no Kirk hammet does suck pretty bad. Well he doesn't suck, but everyone assumes he's amazing when he's...ok I guess.

But today I had someone say "Kirk Hammett is better then *any guitarists name here* because he plays REALLY fast, and they don't, it's just common knowledge"
Quote by NimbleElephant
Noone had every played rythm and lead like him before.

And at the same time a la little wing, castles made of sand
It's not about comparing him to modern musicians now. It's about him being a pioneer of modern rock, who developed the sound, which modern musicians have built on today. All that stuff you hear Jimi do? That was his signature sound, he was the first to do that.
Sigs are overrated.
Quote by ChrisL120
^--Oh no Kirk hammet does suck pretty bad. Well he doesn't suck, but everyone assumes he's amazing when he's...ok I guess.

But today I had someone say "Kirk Hammett is better then *any guitarists name here* because he plays REALLY fast, and they don't, it's just common knowledge"

ya, theres a lot of dumb people on these forums. Anyone who thinks Kirk Hammett is "the bestest gitarist evar" should be skinned, drug through salt, gutted, and hung from his own intestines.
Quote by ChrisL120
F**k it you guys just wanna make this "MAKE FUN OF RANDOM GUITARISTS FOR NO REASON" ?
Page 1 of 2