I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of these for $150 through craigslist, and wanted some opinions from the audiophiles/engineers here.

I've done some research, and it seems to be that you either love em or hate em. Almost every review that I've read states that they have a pretty flat response, except for the upper mids. A lot of the reviews said that the NS10s were waaaay to harsh on the ears, while some said that they were somewhat of an industry standard.

What do you guys think?

(Also suggest me some other monitors <$300 if you want )
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by USAPeavey
I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of these for $150 through craigslist, and wanted some opinions from the audiophiles/engineers here.

I've done some research, and it seems to be that you either love em or hate em. Almost every review that I've read states that they have a pretty flat response, except for the upper mids. A lot of the reviews said that the NS10s were waaaay to harsh on the ears, while some said that they were somewhat of an industry standard.

What do you guys think?

(Also suggest me some other monitors <$300 if you want )

Lucky you. They are meant as secondary monitors...the reason they're used so often is that if you can make your mix sound good on these, they will sound great on any other sound system. Avantone's Mixcubes are like those too. They have a noticeable midrange bump, which means in the end, you'll get a disco smile (heavier lows and treble, looks like a smile in an EQ graph) which is quite popular.

So, in other words, get them now, but also consider some neutral monitors like Genelecs, Event ASP6s, or JBLs in your budget too.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
they've been used a lot in the past, despite being very coloured, as has been said, they are meant to be used as a second reference.