Hey guys ok... Now i have been playing guitar for a bit now...And i am still gettin down sweep picking but i really need to learn alternate picking for the song im learning at the moment(scream aim fire-bullet for my valentine) But anywho...I have no idea how to do it...I mean its it in your wrist /fingers? And how do i do it fast enough cuz it seems like my pick just gets caught up on the strings and trips over itself...Ugh this is buggin me.So if anyone has tips,hints,tricks,videos anything would be great!! Thanks again.
If you can't alternate pick, I highly doubt that you can sweep. It's probably that delusional state that we're all in when we first start and we think we're awesome at something but it really sounds like shit. Quit sweeping and learn to alt pick. It's just in your wrist. Pick a string and pick up and down slowly with a metronome. As you get faster and more in-time, start changing strings.
ya exactly. dont touch sweeping if you can't alternate pick. thats like trying to drive a formula one when you haven't learned how to walk yet.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
No flaming, just a thought.

It really blows my mind how someone would need help alt picking, at least for me it's always been extremely easy

But I doubt you can sweep and not alt pick
Alternate picking is one of those techniques that is very easy to do, but very difficult to do well. Everyone's gonna say it's all in your wrist, and that's true. Do not alternate pick with your arm muscles. Since you're starting out, just focus on getting smooth and regular movement. You obviously want to go fast, but it's gonna take some practice before that will be possible. When a lot of beginners start alternate picking quickly, they seize up. This is because they forget to breathe. You're probably doing this without even knowing it. The two secrets to going fast are breathing and minimizing your picking movement as much as possible. It sounds simple, but it takes tons of practice.
Try the guitar part of the intro to Crazy Train riff, it's pretty good for alternate picking.
Quote by hightension01
just gonna say

Scream aim fire is almost a note for note rip of this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTBrjCu06TM

but anyway as the guy already said

practice picking slowly with a metronome
and remember you gotta walk before you can run

drop the sweeping and learn the more basic techniques first

This guys claim holds water. the guitar sounds pretty much the same. even the vocal patterns are the same.......
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Ok ill drop sweepin for now. But ok so hold it so barely any of the pick is showing,Breathe,Minimize pick movement,Hmmm Ok ill deff. keep workin at it. Any other ideas or anything please let me know i would like to learn this song badly.I mean i can play moderatly fast but not that fast when it comes to alt. picking. Ok thanks guys!
A really great song to work on your alternate picking (once you've built up a certain level of skill) is Technical Difficulties by Racer X. The main riff is hard, but you feel so proud when you can finally play it well.
Try playing songs u know with alternate picking instead of learning new ones. My fave to alt pick on is the Super Mario Theme, it gets you used to alt picking in a solo position where u cant anchor or rely on your arm muscles
Quote by BucketHayden
Try playing songs u know with alternate picking instead of learning new ones. My fave to alt pick on is the Super Mario Theme, it gets you used to alt picking in a solo position where u cant anchor or rely on your arm muscles

Yea thats what I did. Well I wouldn't exactly call mine alternate picking. I guess its economy picking? I don't know I just alternate when I need to, just comes naturally to me, I don't think about it. I couldn't pick up well at all when I started and down picked only, feels weird doing that now. I just took the song Ain't Talking Bout Love off VH1 and played the intro over and over then all of a sudden I automatically started doing it. Speed increased as well as accuracy. I don't know, I'm weird
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Hmm.I have been practicing my alt picking.Now i have have a question I have been down picking this entire time is it normal for my hand to try and fight against alt picking? Like it wants to just down pick but i make sure it doesn(feels likethat movie idol hands) But is that normal? IF you have any more tips please let me know. Thanks.
Quote by tigerking615
Try the guitar part of the intro to Crazy Train riff, it's pretty good for alternate picking.

That's played with downpicking.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by blasian
Hmm.I have been practicing my alt picking.Now i have have a question I have been down picking this entire time is it normal for my hand to try and fight against alt picking? Like it wants to just down pick but i make sure it doesn(feels likethat movie idol hands) But is that normal? IF you have any more tips please let me know. Thanks.

Yes, I made the mistake of avoiding alternate picking while learning the guitar, and when I first started trying to alternate pick my picking hand was semi-retarded due to the habits I had already formed. I just forced myself to do speed exercises slowly and with alternate picking in order to improve the accuracy and precision.

Check this out:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/speed_buster_part_1_-_more_practice.html

Its a pretty good lesson for beginners who are learning to speed pick, and I still use a few of those exercises as a warm-up and to increase my speed with a metronome.

The advice someone mentioned earlier about relearning songs with alternate picking is good advice as well because you already know the fingering of the song, and all that needs to be changed is the way you pluck the strings.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
When I had just started, I found alt picking difficult. So I stopped trying for a while. Then when I went back to try it, it came really easily. So its really just a matter of developing wrist strength in general.

Also, to SG Man Forever: No, it's not.
hahahaha look at all you people posting on this forum
People who say that he can't sweep if he can't alternate pick is retarded. In sweeping, all you need to do is pick downwards and then upwards. Only thing that moves is your fretting fingers.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Ok I was just hoping that my retarded hand wasnt the only one : D Thanks. Hmm Ok i think i might alt pick some of the songs i already know...That will help for sure! Thanks
Quote by jordanzio
ya exactly. dont touch sweeping if you can't alternate pick. thats like trying to drive a formula one when you haven't learned how to walk yet.

What? If you haven't learned to walk, how are you even going to get to the car...or reach the pedals...
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
Quote by iSlash
People who say that he can't sweep if he can't alternate pick is retarded. In sweeping, all you need to do is pick downwards and then upwards. Only thing that moves is your fretting fingers.

It's not really "can't" it's more like "shouldn't".

Alternate picking is the basic building block of every single guitar based song ever written. Sweeping is a relatively rarely used technique. Which should you focus on being able to do better?

Quote by Insanitydenied
What? If you haven't learned to walk, how are you even going to get to the car...or reach the pedals...

Exactly, if you can't alternate pick you're not going to be able to play or write a song in which you'll be able to use sweep picking, it's that simple.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.