I may upgrade my amp in the future. However, Since I already have a tube (and for dimebag stuff, i got metal muff), I want a new guitar instead.

problem is I need to know which to get. I am deciding between ESP LTD FM-408 (hardtail 8-string) and S7320 (7-string with ZR FR)

Which one?

Oh, as for style: I play a wide range, and like to experiment.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Go with what sounds best and feels best in your hands. The 8 seems like a better choice because of the wider range, but 8 strings are often very difficult to play when compared with 6 or 7 stringed guitars. If you like to experiment, the hardtail might be better, as it allows for easier alternate tunings. On the other hand, a tremolo can create a lot of weird and unusual sounds. It comes down to what YOU want, not what people on a forum want.
I'd personally pick the S7320.

I'm considering it for my next guitar. I certainly don't need 8 strings, and I'm debating whether I want the seventh or not. But you gotta love the S series necks. Also, it has the ZR tremolo, which is an awesome little thing.
Quote by HellRaiser620
Go with what sounds best and feels best in your hands. The 8 seems like a better choice because of the wider range, but 8 strings are often very difficult to play when compared with 6 or 7 stringed guitars. If you like to experiment, the hardtail might be better, as it allows for easier alternate tunings. On the other hand, a tremolo can create a lot of weird and unusual sounds. It comes down to what YOU want, not what people on a forum want.

this man is right...listen to him
If I know what I want, I would not have ask. The thing is that both sound right when amplified (I do like S7320's tone due to the slight acoustic sounds it impart)

Hmm... okay, how about this: How hard is it to get 8-string pickup compare to 7-string?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Well, I only know of one or two pickup companies that manufacture 8 string pickups. EMG and possibly Dimarzio. On the other hand, 7 string pickups are much more common. And when I said it's about what you want, I meant that you need to think hard about what features are important to you.