Ok, I was reading another thread, I can't remember which know, in which a fellow UGer was telling us to register his works with the US Copyright Office, there was a fee of 35 bucks. Ok, fair enough, the cost of doing business, and now his works are protected.

Of course, the Poor Man's Copyright was suggested by a few people. You know, send a letter to yourself containing your works, CDs, lyrics, song titles, etc, and leaving it un-opened. Well, Xiaoxi posted a link to a site which proved that the Poor Man's Copyright doesn't hold up in a court of law, so it is effectively nothing. Interesting article actually, and it instructed people that if they didn't want to get screwed by unscropolous musos, then they should register with the US Copyright Office.

This got me thinking about Australia's copyright laws and legislation. Upon reading up on it, and downloading pdfs, I am thoroughly pissed off with it, and am basically wondering what Aussie musos do. We have no official register for creative works. None. We get free copyright automatically on published works, which is nice, but we cannot get official documents to prove we are the rightful owners of our works. So if I shared a song idea with you guys, and one of you dicked me and stole the idea, went and copied my song and put it on myspace, there's no way of proving that it's my song you've taken. It's my word against yours, and since you have it on your myspace and I don't, it is now your song.

So this is a question for all the aussies. Do I have this right, or am I getting worked up over nothing?

Here's a link to the pdf just incase anyone is interested http://www.copyright.org.au/information/introduction/registercopyright.htm and click on "an introduction to cpoyright in Australia"

Sanity is not statistical
As a building designer I have dealt with copyright before. When I was studying we had a semester long course covering this and related shit. Basically what it comes down to was copyright was automatically implied when an idea was put into a physical format. With buildings this would be sketches and plans, music would be sheet music/tab or recordings (I guess).
If you’re really worried about it an option you have (we were told this works for designs) is to take the sheet music or what ever and get it signed, witnessed and dated by someone like a lawyer.
Of cause the easier option is to not share your ideas if you are that worried about people stealing them.
Cheers for clearing that up man. Yeah, it just pissed me off when I was going over it before, it just seemed to make things harder for artists. So as soon as it takes pysical format, its copyrighted? thanks for that man

Sanity is not statistical
Quote by Low_End_Rocker
Cheers for clearing that up man. Yeah, it just pissed me off when I was going over it before, it just seemed to make things harder for artists. So as soon as it takes pysical format, its copyrighted? thanks for that man

Yeah that's it. Or at least it's correct to the best of my knowledge.

Check this out.
My guitarist has got us registered here. I still need to register myself though. I think they help bands and artists out with this kind of shit.
I still have to look over it though.

http://www.apra-amcos.com.au/
We do in fact have a registrar for creative works, APRA. Australian Performing Rights Association.
Quote by The Spoon
i wasnt wikipediaing blow job okay, it just happened

Quote by primusfan

one time i fucked a sofa.

Quote by Draken
Freedom of speach?

on a private website?

Based in Russia?

i'm sorry comrade, but you fail.