alright im 19 years old and i live in austin and i have been wanting a motorcycle for a few years now. i also want to learn how to work and fix motorcycles so i figure the best way to learn would to buy a cheap motorcycle off craigslist and fix it up. right now i dont know much about bikes but my best friend works in a motorcycle shop with his roommate and the guy that owns the shop said i can store my bike and work on it at his place and use his tools. also my friend got a free bike when he bought his GPZ, (the guy was going to throw the bike away but gave it to my friend) so he is giving it to me and all it needs is about 500 bucks worth of parts and in a few days im going to go pick up the bike and start working on it, so i will be posting a bike journal thing to show my progress.

the bike i am getting is a 1984 yamaha maxim 400 which im going to paint either glossy black or a flat dark gunmetal grey. also has anyone here done anythign like this? hopfully in a few days i will have some pics up and some progress done.

EDIT: sorry about the run on sentences and bad spelling
hell ya dude i remember knex from back in the day, i would always make wolverine claws... hopefully this thread doesnt become about knex now
Quote by tands
forget knex lego is better

+1
There was noting you couldn't build with Lego
ohai little sig.
Quote by tands
forget knex lego is better

but you cannot make motorcycles from Lego bricks, they look like shit.

to apologize for the swift subject change, i'll post on-topic.

1) so you're looking at buying a cheap bike to fix up but your friend is also giving you a cheap bike to fix up? i'm confused.....

2) fixing up a bike sounds like a good project, i'm sure your friend can teach ya. and with things like this, you really only need to do it once to remember how to do it forever. just check the internet and local parts-stores for what you need, you might have more fun getting parts that you'll have to reshape, sand down and repaint.
Last edited by dudius at Nov 10, 2008,
maybe i should have been more specific and said has anyone here ever worked on or built real motorcycles or cars
Ive done some work on cars, you'll find that despite your estimates your gonna find a hell of a lot more to fix and pay for
watch american chopper
X JAPAN
yoshiki.toshi.pata.hide.heath/taiji

---------------

"desert rose, why do you live alone..." - yoshiki
Quote by Demonikk
+1
There was noting you couldn't build with Lego

Bet you couldn't build K'nex with Lego.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
Magnetix were much better, except too weak for holding stuff from the top. One time i saw a guy who was working on the birdnest from the beijing games. It was like 60 cms tall. I told him to put it on youtube or something. Im not sure if he did yet. I'll have to google it.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
<<< motorcycle mechanic.
Anyways, go for it. Just make sure you have a buffer for how much money you can spend. My 77 Harley shovelhead ended costing me 4500 to fix up.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
na this thing is going to be around 500 to fix no more than 750 at most. most of the small parts i need im getting for free from the guy that owns the shop im working at. the only problem with me getting this bike is my parents would freak out if they knew i got one. so im going to have to do it behind their backs. o dont think it will be much of a problem since i dont live at home right now, and when schools over and it is summer im going to leave it at the shop and just drive my truck
Why do your parent have a problem with you getting a bike? If not make a deal with em and say you'll enroll in a safety course.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
well my dads brother used to ride them and he got in a really bad accident and now is blind out of one eye and has knee problems. he almost died and was in the hospital for like two months. so i kinda understand why they are worried
i couldnt be ****ed building a bike like you, im too lazy. uhh

tl;dr: i culndt b fukd buildn bike lyk u
Shit happens, I've been riding since I was 12 and never even had to take a bike down.
If you're a responsible person there shouldn't be a problem.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by BobDetroit
ya but it isnt always your ability, they arnt worried about me screwing up they are scared someone else isnt going to be paying attention and hit me on the highway
Quote by Haggard_Cky
ya but it isnt always your ability, they arnt worried about me screwing up they are scared someone else isnt going to be paying attention and hit me on the highway

Think about how much money you'd get bro. **** it, I'd put a bike down and get free pain pills and 100 grand, no problem. Even a month or two in the hospital, still sounds worth it.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
people like you are a drain on the economy, too lazy to work and pretty much con people out of their money. if someone hits me i will get them to pay for my medical and either a new bike or to fix it and thats it i dont take more than i need and i earn my own money. i hope you burn in hell
Quote by Haggard_Cky
people like you are a drain on the economy, too lazy to work and pretty much con people out of their money. if someone hits me i will get them to pay for my medical and either a new bike or to fix it and thats it i dont take more than i need and i earn my own money. i hope you burn in hell

This.

Edit: Also if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by BobDetroit
do you know of any good places online to get parts? right now im looking at craigslist and ebay but is there anywhere else you know of?