Im kind of embarrassed to ask such a noobish question, but here it goes:

Ive been playing for about a year and a half, but have never really played any guitars with a whammy bar , but i want one. i was considering eventually buying a MIM strat, so when i went to guitar center to try one out, it was out of tune, so when i tuned it, the the other strings went out of tune.

i was wondering if this was common for all guitars with a whammy bar, or if it was just because it was a cheaper version of a strat so the parts are not as good?
^I S*** you not compadre!

Quote by Explorerpro
You Sir, Are Made Of Win.

Quote by El Hilliaro
Wow TS, this is a seriously great, original idea.

Anyway, I'm off, for some reason I have the strongest urge to listen to The Ramones.
When you tune, you are either increasing or decreasing the tension of the strings. This in turn, either puts more or less tension on the springs, either allowing the bridge to move forward or backward, and in effect, detuning the other strings. So yes, it's just a drawback of a floating bridge.
Not too sure about more expensive guitars, but my old Squier Strat had a whammy bar, and it knocked it out of tune like it was the cool thing to do.
Probably because it was a cheaper model.

Decent guitars with a tremolo bridge have lock nuts near the head of the guitar that help it stay in tune.
Quote by Alopikal
Probably because it was a cheaper model.

Decent guitars with a tremolo bridge have lock nuts near the head of the guitar that help it stay in tune.

That's a Floyd Rose; they are good in a sense that the guitar stays in tune, but it drastically alters the tone of the guitar.

Floyd Rose does not mean better. Just for a different purpose.