Not sure which is better in versatility, reliability, and functionality, but it seems that the ZR outdoes the OFR when it comes to alternate tuning.

The idea I have of the ZR (based upon what I see on the specs page of the guitar I'm interested in) is that you can easily adjust tunings for all strings via the fine tuners. Is this true?

Question has been updated, see last post.
Last edited by G.9 at Jan 21, 2009,
no...
you have to unlock tuners...and tune normally...but its easier than a floyd
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Ah... well that does indeed sound more convenient than the floyd nevertheless. But then again, easier than FR doesn't really say much. So basically take the built-in tool, stick it in the bottom of each string saddle thing and start pegging away? Are there any problems at all with the string going out of tune in the tuning process, or having to stabilize/block the ZR?

When it comes down to everything else does the ZR match the OFR?
Last edited by G.9 at Nov 10, 2008,
i own an S540.

Standard to drop D is fine.

Alternate tunings like open tunings you will need to tune like you would any floyd rose, the spring adjustment system is much easier to adjust so you will do it in less than half the time you would a normal floyd
Well this is the extent of my tuning:
Standard is BEADGBE
Low B would sometimes drop to A.
E would sometimes drop to D (which you said works fine).
G would sometimes drop to F#.
Well with those because its nothing too radical, you could probably use fine tuners and then your whole tuning would just be a tad off on all other strings. Id say you definatly could use just the fine tuners though.
I see... so no blocking off the trem, and all that.

As far as functionality though... dive bombs, flutters, classic pitch shifts? ZR vs OFR.
Quote by G.9
I see... so no blocking off the trem, and all that.

As far as functionality though... dive bombs, flutters, classic pitch shifts? ZR vs OFR.

Divebombs are fine, for pulling up the ZR has less range than most FRs because the S body is too thin.

I could never get mine to flutter but I have been told it can be done if you set it up right.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Divebombs are fine, for pulling up the ZR has less range than most FRs because the S body is too thin.

I could never get mine to flutter but I have been told it can be done if you set it up right.

Going up is limited, going down is not.

Quote by G.9
Well this is the extent of my tuning:
Standard is BEADGBE
Low B would sometimes drop to A.
E would sometimes drop to D (which you said works fine).
G would sometimes drop to F#.

Should be fine, all can be done with fine tuners - if it's not all done at once, be perfectly fine, if done at once, just be careful.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Going up is limited, going down is not.

That's exactly what I said

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I'm sorry.
I must be tired.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Should be fine, all can be done with fine tuners - if it's not all done at once, be perfectly fine, if done at once, just be careful.

Only two will be changed at a time. That E to D is something by itself. If I went Baritone tuning I just drop the G to F#... if I want capo-based drop tuning I also drop the B to A (for example, put the capo on the third fret and you got CGCFADG).

How should I deter detuning of the other strings?
Quote by G.9
How should I deter detuning of the other strings?

The ZR does that itself. As long as you remove NOTHING from the back of the trem, you can play perfectly in tune with just 5 strings, so detuning one or two should be fine.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I feel like a fool asking this, but I've asked plenty of foolish questions already to feel much shame. When you say "remove NOTHING from the back of the trem", what would there be to remove in the first place?
Quote by G.9
I feel like a fool asking this, but I've asked plenty of foolish questions already to feel much shame. When you say "remove NOTHING from the back of the trem", what would there be to remove in the first place?

The ZR has extra springs in the back that make sure it returns to the neutral position and stays in tune when strings break and things like that.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by G.9

The Zero Point System.
Read it on the same page as the guitar: http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S7320
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
To the flutter question. The ZR can be made into a floating trem by removing the stop bar at the back. I did it for a couple of weeks and it works great as a floating trem but i missed the ability to tune easily so i put it back in.
Quote by Simsimius
The ZR does that itself. As long as you remove NOTHING from the back of the trem, you can play perfectly in tune with just 5 strings, so detuning one or two should be fine.

Sorry about resurrecting this thread, but can someone confirm this statement? Again, what I wanted to do was take a 7-string with AEADGBE and tune A down to B and G down to Gb. Will there be any detuning problems, and will the tremolo work just as before?

I was looking into the Tremol-No, but realized they didn't have it listed as a compatible trem.

I'm also wondering how reliable this unit is... heard about the cheap plastic.

Quote by Davester000
To the flutter question. The ZR can be made into a floating trem by removing the stop bar at the back. I did it for a couple of weeks and it works great as a floating trem but i missed the ability to tune easily so i put it back in.

And is it not already a floating trem? People in this thread have been talking about being able to pull it up and push it down. Or is changing tunings only possible if you set it up for dive only?

And just a general question about S's... looking at S7320... does the thin body eliminate some of the sustain or is it negligible?
Last edited by G.9 at Jan 20, 2009,
You could probably mess with the tuning a bit maybe with some adjustments of the fine tuners. The trem should work fine as long as the ZPS is in. The tremol-no is unnecessary because the ZPS is essentially the same thing except a bigger unit and probably more stable than the tremol-no as well. The unit is reliable, but you should probably buy and extra trem arm, because i hear about the stock one snapping after not too long most of the time with the ZR trems.

It is a full-floating trem. You can change tunings without setting it to dive only (a feature which the ZPS doesn't have btw).

The thin body apparently does harm the sustain but then again you don't really buy an ibanez for that now, do you? It should be fine.
Man, that's a dream tremolo. Thanks for the great explanation.
when somone said the zr doesn't pull up as far as a FR is it still plenty far enough or do you seem restricted?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by Simsimius

I'm sorry.
I must be tired.

But, yall are both wrong...

Going up is not limited, going down is... with an OFR you can easily completely dump the tremolo, to where the bar is touching the body, this cant be done with a ZR, even with the stop bar off...

when somone said the zr doesn't pull up as far as a FR is it still plenty far enough or do you seem restricted?

It does go up as far, diving range is limited. I'm an owner of both tremolos.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
so your saying you cant dump it down to the point where the strings go so slack they quickly mute ?
Quote by dani-caffine-22
so your saying you cant dump it down to the point where the strings go so slack they quickly mute ?

You can get them close, but not completely slack. The only time going up is limited is when you have the stop bar on, and I recommend taking that off right away.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

You can get them close, but not completely slack. The only time going up is limited is when you have the stop bar on, and I recommend taking that off right away.

I think the ZPS bar is great. It allows double stops and bends act the way they should. That's the purpose of it. The trem only moves when you use the whammy bar. I have the Edge Zero which is pretty similar. It always returns to pitch with or without the ZPS bar, but there's only space for 2 springs so you can't really add more springs so make bending work better.
by the way how do you get it to say what gear you have and are savin for on the bottom of your posts?
Quote by JELIFISH19
I think the ZPS bar is great. It allows double stops and bends act the way they should. That's the purpose of it. The trem only moves when you use the whammy bar. I have the Edge Zero which is pretty similar. It always returns to pitch with or without the ZPS bar, but there's only space for 2 springs so you can't really add more springs so make bending work better.

I like the stop bar off, it improves range, and makes it feel more like an OFR.

Quote by dani-caffine-22
by the way how do you get it to say what gear you have and are savin for on the bottom of your posts?

It's a sig, click on control panel, and then edit signature.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦