Ive been looking to buy an audio interface for some time now but have been unable too due to unsufficient funds.

Messing around I just noticed that old keyboard ( yamaha psr-175) has 2 sockets at the back. Above it says Midi 'in' and 'out' . I'tll be great if I dont have to buy a separate interface. Can i just plug a microphone in the 'in' socket and have line going from the 'out' socket straight to the computer?

Thanks in advance
er no
MIDI and audio are about as far separate things as you can get. MIDI is a stream of numbers and audio well is audio
No. MIDI just tells the computer what note to turn on. It doesn't make any sound by itself. What you are wanting to do won't work.
you need a midi interface and a program in which midi can control different sounds.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
you need a midi interface and a program in which midi can control different sounds.

If he wants to plug a mic into his computer, he needs an audio interface.
What i gathered is hes trying to record his keyboard (midi) with a mic cable which isnt even compatible, unless of course he hooks it up to an audio interface with MIDI I/O like the PreSonus Firebox or Edirol FA-66
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Nov 10, 2008,
MIDI - Data
Audio - actual sound

Read up on MIDI, it really is a huge help to have in any studio:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html

I personally just started using MIDI a few months ago (Starting by triggering my software drums with hardware e-drums) and now I use my keyboard with cheap on board sounds to trigger software synths. I hardly used my keyboard until I started working with MIDI so it gives that another purpose to keep in the studio.