Could someone please tell me how many exercises are in rock discipline and intense rock?

At the moment I am thinking intense rock looks more interesting to me, so how good do I have to be to use the exercises on the dvd?

Do either of the dvd's cover techniques like how to play a harmonic and how to sweep pick and how to play hammer ons and pull offs? I would prefer the dvd I get not to spend too much time teaching a technique (that I already know how to do). If either dvd does explain how to do some sort of guitar technique, could you please tell me what technique it explains?
You may be able to watch these on the internet. I wouldnt *wink* because that's illegal.
Rock discipline helped me, and i play nothing like the music the Petrucci plays. If nothing else the finger exercises were useful.
warning: both these videos can put you off pretty badly if you haven't achieved at least a certain level of playing (very competent with alternate picking, scales and pentatonics, and can obviously fret notes cleanly in sequence). They basically go through lick ideas, but (esp in PG's case) with the aim of building up SPEED, so they start at decent pace and move up to absolutely ridiculous =P. And some of the licks are really only impressive at blistering speeds...

Personally, i've had both of these videos for months and months and although I find these videos helpful for lick ideas and exercises now, I couldn't really gain much from them until now, and previously they would put me off more than anything (I would try one or two exercises and throw in the towel, switch to something else). Try watching a Buckethead lesson or a Yngwie Malmsteen lesson to see what i mean. These guys are elite players, and unless you're at least an 'intermediate' or 'advanced' player, I wouldn't bother, there is more suitable stuff out there for you.

In a phrase: 'not for the faint of heart'
Last edited by yenners at Nov 10, 2008,
Intense Rock is awesome. I watched it every day, to the point that I knew almost exactly what Paul was going to say. I couldn't play most stuff at full speed, but it does work for amazing exercises and warm-ups, needless to say I'm still doing those exercises and making progress. Haven't watched Rock Discipline yet, so I don't really know about it.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by yenners
warning: both these videos can put you off pretty badly if you haven't achieved at least a certain level of playing (very competent with alternate picking, scales and pentatonics, and can obviously fret notes cleanly in sequence). They basically go through lick ideas, but (esp in PG's case) with the aim of building up SPEED, so they start at decent pace and move up to absolutely ridiculous =P. And some of the licks are really only impressive at blistering speeds...

Actually I'd say that Rock Discipline has practice ideas, exercises and musical concepts that are useful for everyone, very few of the things he goes through are actually licks at all. It is also one of the very few shred videos that goes through some less solo oriented musical ideas like chord construction and some basic arrangement ideas which would be useful to anyone who doesn't know it already.

TS: Intense Rock will require some relatively polished skills to get anything out of to be honest, PG goes through a lot of licks on the video but they're mainly designed to sound good at high speeds; if you play them slowly the patterns become very obvious and they go on for too long.

As I said Rock Discipline however has something for everyone so unless you can already shred pretty well I'd go with Petrucci.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.