Page 1 of 2
Yay! I bought a new amplifier, with a hilarious theme :P

"The Chimp"

All tube class A amplifier, 1 6L6 tube & 1 12AX7
5.6watts output switchable to 1.9watts in triode mode
Attenuator

Not much else to say about it, it sounds great in clean but a bit lacking somewhat when the gain is turned up. I know it isn't exactly its purpose, but would a pedal make a big difference to the sound of it? Also it sounds kinda dull compared to my SS nobrand amp, do I have to wear the tubes in or something?

More pics on request :

If it's brand new, then yes, you need to run the tubes in. New tubes can sound a little flat.

Also the minimal EQ controls would make it difficult to dial in a really nice sound.

Still, it's a cool looking little practice amp, how much did it cost ya?
Quote by Weybl Himself
If it's brand new, then yes, you need to run the tubes in. New tubes can sound a little flat.

Also the minimal EQ controls would make it difficult to dial in a really nice sound.

Still, it's a cool looking little practice amp, how much did it cost ya?

It was AU$400, which I thought was a real steal. Nevertheless, it sounds really nice. But like you said, there isn't much I can do with the onboard controls; I've tried fiddling with the tone knob (represented by the peanut in the pic...lol), and it doesn't sound like it does anything.

Another quick question: what do I do with the different inputs (high and low)? When should I use each one?
Low (gain) = Clean Sounds
High (gain) = Distorted sounds.

A pedal might do the trick if the basic sound of the amp is good, and you just need a litle more gain. However, no pedal can save a bad amp.
I'd like to see a few more pics of this thing..
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
Wow never seen that before.. but personally with that money would've gone with epi valve junior
Quote by SY22
Low (gain) = Clean Sounds
High (gain) = Distorted sounds.

A pedal might do the trick if the basic sound of the amp is good, and you just need a litle more gain. However, no pedal can save a bad amp.

Thanks for that info.

I don't think this is a bad amp, its all tube and seems pretty solid. It's obviously no Marshall stack or anything, but I think it makes a great bedroom amp. It has a really nice clean, but I think I'll need a pedal for that extra oomph when I want to get a high gain sound.

Quote by UrMomsMom
Wow never seen that before.. but personally with that money would've gone with epi valve junior

Yeah I probably should have done a bit more research, but I kinda just wanted to blow my cash, so ya . Also this one has a built in attenuator, which is really helpful I've found so far for bedroom practise.

Quote by dreams broken
I'd like to see a few more pics of this thing..

I'll take some and post them tomorrow, but right now it's 10:50pm and I have swimming tomorrow morning, so goodnight
Last edited by kenan6346 at Nov 10, 2008,
wtf, what the hell are the controls? they are labelled as... uhh... i don't want to know what some of those diagrams are.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
wtf, what the hell are the controls? they are labelled as... uhh... i don't want to know what some of those diagrams are.

Poo = Gain
Peanut = Tone
Banana = Volume

Quote by azn_guitarist25
what a nice amp mate! and a pretty good price with it just being a tad bit more than a blackheart amp

Cheers

Here are some more pics of the amp. Also, the tubes are not exactly the best around I believe, so any suggestions to make this amp sound great would be appreciated. It sounds really nice in clean, but really lacking and kinda dull when the gain is on at all.

By kenan6346, shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS 65 at 2008-11-10

12AX7 tube (I'm guessing, coz the other one is the 6L6

6L6 tube. There's a plectrum underneath because it kept rolling around.

Control panel on the top of the amp

Back of the amp. As you can see, there's the attenuator on the back panel and the pentode to triode switch.

Inside of the amp.
Interesting amp, I've never seen a 5 watt style amp use a 6l6 for the power tube.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
what would it normally use?

I'm really new to tube amps, and amps all together. I didn't even have an amp before this one, I used my brother's one. That one's just a solid state noname brand one. So any info would be appreciated.
Well, the peavey royal 8, the epi valve junior, and the blackheart all use an EL84 for the power amp. It's not necessarily good or bad to use a 6l6 just different, which makes it interesting to me.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Well, the peavey royal 8, the epi valve junior, and the blackheart all use an EL84 for the power amp. It's not necessarily good or bad to use a 6l6 just different, which makes it interesting to me.

Is there a huge difference in tone between the two?
Yeah, EL84s are pretty aggressive sounding and tend to sound more british (think Vox). They have more midrange.

6L6s define the american sound that you find in fender amps and and typically boast good bass response, and a somewhat scooped midrange.
Looks like a great little practice amp. Since it has such a limited EQ parameter then I suggest an EQ pedal if you have the cash to get one. This will really help you get the best tone out of your little amp.
Yeah, i'd swap out the tubes. Looks like yours came with Sinos. Which, aren't too hot.
A pair of JJ's should sound pretty good, but consult the tube thread.

That is actually a cool little amp. I just bought an old Gibson skylark, but if I wanted a smaller amp, that chimp would be something to look into.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Thanks for all your posts . I'll take a look in the tube thread about getting the best sound out of my amp. Also, I read that if you change the tubes you have to get the amp "rebiased". Can I do this myself, or do I have to let a pro do it? Also is it pricey?

Finally, what sort of EQ pedal would I want to look into on a midrange budget - nothing too fancy, but I don't want it to sound like shit or for it to crap out on me quickly. Thanks.
That amp is probably cathode biased so you shouldn't need to bias it, just plug and play.

For an EQ, I've heard the dano fish n chips is good for 40 bucks. Made of plastic and a bit noisy, but hey, it's forty bucks. Just don't stomp on it.

For 120 USD you can get the 10 band MXR with gain and level sliders, definitely worth the money if you want to spend that much.
i would think it should run on 6v6s. but anyway i would bet money its a champ clone.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Make sure to record some clips, too!
That is an interesting little amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Kevin Saale
That amp is probably cathode biased so you shouldn't need to bias it, just plug and play.

For an EQ, I've heard the dano fish n chips is good for 40 bucks. Made of plastic and a bit noisy, but hey, it's forty bucks. Just don't stomp on it.

For 120 USD you can get the 10 band MXR with gain and level sliders, definitely worth the money if you want to spend that much.

How can I be sure? Because I don't really want to blow the amp and the tubes just because I didn't get it rebiased.

I reckon I'll go for the 10 band MXR you just talked about, I get about AU$70 odd a week from working at Maccas and don't usually spend it on anything else, so why not; I reckon its probably better to get that one because it sounds like it'll last longer. Cheers
Quote by kenan6346
How can I be sure? Because I don't really want to blow the amp and the tubes just because I didn't get it rebiased.

I reckon I'll go for the 10 band MXR you just talked about, I get about AU$70 odd a week from working at Maccas and don't usually spend it on anything else, so why not; I reckon its probably better to get that one because it sounds like it'll last forever. Cheers

Fixed. The thing is frickin indestructible.

Look up the specs on the amp, it should say if it's cathode biased or not.
Nup it doesn't say anything in the instructions about it bein cathode biased or not. It does however say that I shouldn't try changing the tubes unless I know what I'm doing. It also says that the tubes are of Chinese origin, and that they tried Grove and Sovtek tubes but thought the Chinese ones sounded better ( ). But anyway, I sent an email to the seller, so hopefully I should know whether I can just drop new tubes in or not.

Assuming it isn't cathode biased, where can I get the amp rebiased if I change the tubes?
Well, it would need to have a bias pot first, in which case you could do it yourself with a multimeter. If it's isn't cathode biased and it doesn't have a bias pot you'll need to some one to install a bias pot so you can bias it.
Lol I dunno if I'd be able to do that, seems a bit too complicated given my limited knowledge with electrical circuits. Is it all that hard?
Probably not. I found one on an ebay page it said it's class A open ended so I'm pretty sure it would have to be cathode biased, but don't quote me on that.
Would the amp die if I just dropped new tubes in and it wasn't cathode biased?

I sent an email to the dealer so I should know pretty soon anyways.
Quote by kenan6346
Would the amp die if I just dropped new tubes in and it wasn't cathode biased?

I sent an email to the dealer so I should know pretty soon anyways.

No, the worst thing that could probably happen would be the bias would be way to hot and the amp would destroy the tube.
I think as long as you don't dime the volume or play it for too long, just dropping a new tube in would be fine if you didn't bias.
That's what i've been told by several people on here. I'm not an electronics expert.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I like how the controls go to infinity. I would be wary of turning your shit knob all the way up.
Quote by Kevin Saale
No, the worst thing that could probably happen would be the bias would be way to hot and the amp would destroy the tube.

I guess better the tubes than the amp...I should know in about a day when the dealer gets back to me.
Quote by kenan6346
I guess better the tubes than the amp...I should know in about a day when the dealer gets back to me.

Yup, probably better to wait for an answer.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Quote by rokket2005
I like how the controls go to infinity. I would be wary of turning your shit knob all the way up.

Yea it says that in the instruction booklet, I don't know what it means. I've been playing with it all the way up with the attenuator pretty much all the way up. Bad practise?
Yeah, I love how the gain is marked by a pile of poo
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I just meant that if it really means infinity, why the hell would you want an infinite amount of shit. I know that when I want shit,, I go for definite amounts.
Quote by rokket2005
I just meant that if it really means infinity, why the hell would you want an infinite amount of shit. I know that when I want shit,, I go for definite amounts.

This dude has had a few too many bong rips me thinks.
Page 1 of 2