My playing is taken me in the direction of the Bands of the 60's particulally the British Invasion era. Hoping to find a difinitive list of such bands or make one up. HELP !!!!

Bob J
Hmm, depends on your exact taste, but the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Cream woudl be my pick, but thier were others as well, i thinkn also bands like Hermans; Hermits and the Hollies were counuted as Birish invasion, but they were more pop, it's not a defintive list but i hope it helps.
Dave Clark Five were the first I think then you can add Amen Corner, Animals, Zombies, Kinks, Manfred Mann and even 'Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Tich' (I Think they even put the names on the Bass drum skin)...hope that gets you on your way pal!
To old to fretw**k, to young for the blues!
Last edited by Old Fart at Nov 10, 2008,
How can your playing "is taken" you in the direction of 60's British Invasion bands if you don't know any?

Also, isn't Maine in America? Where we speak English?
Thanks to all who help me add to my own list. Yes Maine is in the US and again THANKS to all so helpful. How about some that are more obscure ????

Bob J
Quote by cromthereaper
the zombies

Yep. Odessey and Oracle is a mandatory album for any British Invasion enthusiast.
Hey, I'm Mike.
The Pretty Things, though they didn't really hit big in AMerica.

The Who, definitely.

And all the ones already listed

Edit: From wikipedia

Early British Invasion artists

British artists which reached number-one on the Hot 100, 1964-1966

* The Animals
* The Beatles
* Cilla Black
* The Dave Clark Five
* Petula Clark
* Donovan
* Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders
* Freddie and the Dreamers
* Gerry & the Pacemakers
* Herman's Hermits
* The Hollies
* The Kinks
* Manfred Mann
* The New Vaudeville Band
* Peter and Gordon
* The Pretty Things
* The Rolling Stones
* The Troggs
* The Who
* The Yardbirds
* The Zombies
* The Jimi Hendrix Experience
* Lulu
* Mr. Acker Bilk
* The Moody Blues
* Cream
* Chad and Jeremy
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
It's funny how Jimi Hendrix counts as the British Invasion..it's true, thats where he got big, it's just funny cause he's american...
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
i cant believe theres been 12 posts and knowone was mention PINK FLOYD. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band were by fat the two best albums of that time period for the britist invasion bands hands down. then THe Kinks should also be mentioned in this conversation also.
PF were never an invasion band though. They didn't have much of a fan base in America in the 60s. I mean in '67 they had their 2 Syd era hits: See Emily Play and Arnold Layne. Those did moderately well in England, but went pretty unnoticed in America.

If I'm not mistaken, the first time a Floyd song entered the American charts was Free Four in 1972. Of course by then Ummagumma, Meddle and Atom Heart Mother had sold decently in America, but those albums were still too late to really be "British Invasion" albums.
Hey, I'm Mike.
British invasion kind of ended in 66-67 though...so yeah, PF are definitely way past that point.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by therussian
British invasion kind of ended in 66-67 though...so yeah, PF are definitely way past that point.

Not really they were in the US playing shows in 66