Does anyone have suggestions for good resources that show how to do flamenco?

I'm wanting to try some of this stuff out.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Lol Flamenco is almost a lifestyle, and u need too learn alot about it. It has a same kind of quality as the blues as in it's more then just notes or a scale. It's a state of mind with it's own rules.

If u really wanna learn "true" flamenco, u need to grow some nails and maintain them and u also need too learn some pretty hard techniques like rasguedo and quintuplet tremelo as opposed to the classical 16th note tremelo's.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 10, 2008,
What's so hard about doing a google search.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
^^Please, don't. People go to forums because google searches are slow, time consuming and inefficient.

Isn't flamenco similar to romantic classical?

My tips are; keep your wrist straight, use only the tips of your fingers, watch your fingering (more important than it seems), practise fingerpicking, try not to loop your thumb over the fretboard and practise your sight reading.
And grow your fingernails and use some clear nailpolish. Keep in mind this is probably the single most degrading thing about being a guitarist, explaining why I have girly fingernails.

I'm a pretty crap at classical/flamenco guitar, so (as always) take the advice with a grain of salt.

There are links somewhere in the classical guitar boards of this forum. Check them out. If you have trouble finding them, I'll be glad to show you where I found them.
Ppl have posted some good info for you so far. So just to add, check out John Williams and Paco Pena.
Quote by mdc
Ppl have posted some good info for you so far. So just to add, check out John Williams and Paco Pena.
Yeah. And Andrés Segovia. I dont really like his interpretations of songs, but alot of guys do. My favourite contemporary flamenco/classical guitarist is by far John Williams.
Quote by demonofthenight

Keep in mind this is probably the single most degrading thing about being a guitarist, explaining why I have girly fingernails.

I've always fingerpicked with the flesh of my fingers because I have to keep my nails long to play violin. Are long nails only needed for classical?

Not at all.

Also, don't look up John Williams and Andres Segovia. They're both classical guitarists and don't play flamenco. If you're interested: Paco De Lucia, Niño Josele, Sabicas, Juan Habichuela, Vicente Amigo and many more.

+1 to Gonzaw. Read up on compas and the different forms (palos) of flamenco. If you don't have compas (like me) you don't have flamenco and sound wrong (like me)
Last edited by Confusius at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by Confusius
Not at all.

Also, don't look up John Williams and Andres Segovia. They're both classical guitarists and don't play flamenco. If you're interested: Paco De Lucia, Niño Josele, Sabicas, Juan Habichuela, Vicente Amigo and many more.

+1 to Gonzaw. Read up on compas and the different forms (palos) of flamenco. If you don't have compas (like me) you don't have flamenco.

This.

/thread

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by demonofthenight
^^Please, don't. People go to forums because google searches are slow, time consuming and inefficient.

If you would've done a google search you wouldn't be asking that question.

A while back i got into Flamenco from passing by and hearing some of it during my mom's spanish soap operas.

And guess what? i did a quick google search for "flamenco guitar" and i got more info than what was posted here plus a compas learning program and videos.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Last edited by allislost at Nov 12, 2008,