Hey guys, I'm hoping for a little help with this. I'm looking for a good combo that can get me close to this sound. Romanian Reaper has a clip called Splawn 'brown sound' on this page, http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=131229. I'd love to get close to this sound with some type of combo. I don't think Splawn has a combo. I'd like to stay in the lower price range, if possible. I also have a Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX to use in a trade, if needed. Any suggestions?
Quote by ledvedder
Hey guys, I'm hoping for a little help with this. I'm looking for a good combo that can get me close to this sound. Romanian Reaper has a clip called Splawn 'brown sound' on this page, http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=131229. I'd love to get close to this sound with some type of combo. I don't think Splawn has a combo. I'd like to stay in the lower price range, if possible. I also have a Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX to use in a trade, if needed. Any suggestions?

Sorry, but you're not going to get that sound with less than a grand - there's a reason anyone who posts clips of a Van Halen tone has a top-of-the-line amp. You can approximate it, but ultimately you're chasing one of the most sough after tones in the history of the guitar.

Basically heavy overdrive, plenty of midrange and treble, loads of reverb, agressive pick attack - you'll never get close to Eddie's tone if you just tickle the strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Sorry, but you're not going to get that sound with less than a grand - there's a reason anyone who posts clips of a Van Halen tone has a top-of-the-line amp. You can approximate it, but ultimately you're chasing one of the most sough after tones in the history of the guitar.

Basically heavy overdrive, plenty of midrange and treble, loads of reverb, agressive pick attack - you'll never get close to Eddie's tone if you just tickle the strings.

very good points!! also you need some 09 to 42's
Quote by GoDrex
yeah

the guy is looking for a combo - not a $3000+ head

There's no combo made that'll NAIL the brown sound. He's going to need a $3000 head, unless he gets a 5150 III, which is pretty close, & can be had for under $1500 US new. The Mojave Peacemaker & Scorpion NAIL the brown sound. I know. I have a Scorpion. Also, as Mark said, you need the reverb & aggressive pick attack.
There's a lot of setups that can get close enough to a brown type sound without spending so much. It's just how close you want to get.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011