im making a 160cm bow out of 3cm thick ply wood (12 layers thick) 6cm wide.
im going too add a another pice of ply to the middle on the back of the main bit of wood half the length as the middle bit (this supports the middle of the bow(dont know the technical name)) and connect that with a bolt through the middle and two brackets either end to stop it from spinning loose but give it fredom to move (stops pressure from pulling it off) and then carve the string notches and maybe a handle grip.

so dose anyone think i should connect the middle pice diferently? is the middle pice the right length and what should i excpect bow wise?

btw its just for practice making bows im aiming to make a long bow in under a year.

btw v2 i have looked at bow making sites but there is few and none are like what im making.

tl;dr im making a 2 pices ply wood bow connected by a bolt through the middle and some brakets

amidoingitright?
Quote by lolzerbeams9000
amidoingitright?

Spelling? No

Good luck Robin Hood
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Pics? I suck with descriptions.
Edit: Oh, a bow and arrow... Plywood would snap under the tension you would need, and the brackets would give. You need a good solid piece of Yew wood, carve it, and Layer pieces of them together, binding it with hide glue.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Last edited by Rockingbird at Nov 10, 2008,
You're making it out of plywood? You do realise that while wooden bows are laminated togther the woods that are chosen have secific properties required for the bow to function don't you? You not just using pine ply from a diy shop.

Making a bow in a single length is standard practise for a reason. Maybe there is no info on making the bow you want to make for the same reason?
Put a pick up at one end of the string on the bow. Plug into amp. Experience awesomeness.
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
btw the people that said it would snap ive seen ballistas that have been made out of ply wood. a twelve layeard pice of ply wood would not snap 24 in the middle

btw its not ply wood board im using
also im not looking to make a proper bow just somthing thatr works, its a test pice for the construction method
Make the body of the bow from your penis and use your pubes as the bowstring.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by neopowell
Make the body of the bow from your penis and use your pubes as the bowstring.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be to big to be carried.

A Ballista doesn't rely on the impact strength of the wood.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by lolzerbeams9000
a twelve layeard pice of ply wood would not snap 24 in the middle

It would snap 24 straws, not 24 iron bars but straws it could do.
I R making a catapult

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
I R making a catapult

simple enough to make its just the time and getting the plans right, you might need help putting together though
I once saw a YouTube clip of some rich dude that built a trebuchet that big just to launch burning pianos.
Quote by lizarday
Quote by lolzerbeams9000
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be to big to be carried.

You seem very excited that your own penis is that big. Are you gay for yourself?
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
The wood you use needs to be springy and have a lot of give, otherwise it'll just snap from the tension.

I had to make a bridge which spanned 6ft without touching the floor to support two pounds of weight, so obviously it was arch-shaped like a massive bow with string to pull it into shape, and trust me, the wood will need to be able to give.

And I wish I still did archery, I haven't done it in ages
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
The wood you use needs to be springy and have a lot of give, otherwise it'll just snap from the tension.

I had to make a bridge which spanned 6ft without touching the floor to support two pounds of weight, so obviously it was arch-shaped like a massive bow with string to pull it into shape, and trust me, the wood will need to be able to give.

And I wish I still did archery, I haven't done it in ages

its farly springy my dad put his foot on the wood and bent it forward about 30 cm with no complaints i tried it and dident get as far thoughg

edit: that was at a length of 240 cm

edit2: if this works out i might start out archery it would be cool.

why not make a bow out of paper mache while you're at it?

look up professional bows and use woods that they're made out of. do some research if you don't want your bow to snap the minute it's under any tension.
I'm a bowhunter, are you doing it for just archery or taking game?? if so you'd need tons of practice with a longbow or recurve, I've never used either, I have 2 compounds, a PSE deer hunter and a PSE firestorm lite (this one I love). yep, 5 pin fiber optic light sight with stabilizers, peep sight in the string, 300fps. usually a good shot on a deer just goes right through him with a good broadhead. oh and if you are looking for broadheads, the G5 montec's will go right through a car door.
Unless you build the thing out of fibreglass, a bow will take a year or so to make. So, if you're aiming for a bow in under a year, no you're not doing it right.
Quote by flyfshr
I'm a bowhunter, are you doing it for just archery or taking game?? if so you'd need tons of practice with a longbow or recurve, I've never used either, I have 2 compounds, a PSE deer hunter and a PSE firestorm lite (this one I love). yep, 5 pin fiber optic light sight with stabilizers, peep sight in the string, 300fps. usually a good shot on a deer just goes right through him with a good broadhead. oh and if you are looking for broadheads, the G5 montec's will go right through a car door.

im doing it mainly for the practice of making a bow, but if i where to use one it would probebly be used just for archery.
Quote by MightyAl
Unless you build the thing out of fibreglass, a bow will take a year or so to make. So, if you're aiming for a bow in under a year, no you're not doing it right.

omg where did you get that info from? or was it a guess?
Quote by lolzerbeams9000
omg where did you get that info from? or was it a guess?

Mostly from books, largely though from those concerned with the Huns, Parthia and the Mongols, with a little bit here and there regarding the English longbow as comparison.
Granted, these do concern makuing bows with traditional materials and methods, and very often in a yurt, but if you want an authentic bow, don't plan on completing it in a weekend.

A branch of this kind of willow can be used to make a cool one piece bow.
Quote by lizarday