Page 1 of 2
Ok, so I couldn't get a thunderbird. Fine. I couldn't get an explorer either, alright, I'm ok. But just now I realize that I can't get a frikken left handed les paul bass either?!

am i doomed to play a p bass forever?
You can get left handed jazz basses.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Captain Insano
Think of the positves. Your left handedness kept you from getting a tonal inferior bass.

+1 for sure
Bass:
2008 Fender MIA Precision Bass
2006 Fender MIM Jazz bass
Amp:
Fender rumble 60
Effects:
Boss bass Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Refurb

MUSE
RADIOHEAD
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERSMy inspirations
sounds like a suicidal thread to me.. lol
✠I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few
✠Adolf Hitler✠
So... Gibson doesn't make left handed basses... but Fender and Warwick does.

I wish I was left handed.

EDIT: The fact that it isn't worth Gibson's time to make left-handed basses says it all. And did you know if you put the strap button on the other (ie. only) horn of the Thunderbird, it'd actually balance and play better than a Thunderbird set up properly?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 10, 2008,
Spectors come in left hand models... and they look more badass than thunderbirds IMO. Plus, they are renowned for their tone. So I think the choice is clear haha

Sanity is not statistical
I think I see what TS did there
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Schecter stilletto lefty would work well here...
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
im a lefty too and while it is aggravating, try theperfectbass.com pr music123.com OR! musiciansfriend.com, my local store in Ontario has **** all for lefties so i have to order them, and while all these websites have FAR nicer basses in lefty 'handicap mode' haha they are a bit more expensive. im talking 4 and 5 string bongos, all types of warwicks ,jsut nice basses ive ordered 2 warwicks from music123, and hopefully when i get monies a bongo5 frim perfect bass. thats all i can suggest man, not sure if your on a budget or whatever, but check it out, they all have conventiaonl fenders and stuff too in lefty....
Quote by szekelymihai
either you could change the strings upward or make a custom one.
second is harder, but why not chose the first?

I looked into doing this when my friend played a 6-string guitar upside down. I suggested he change the strings so that he can play guitar the correct way, since upside down his power chords were wrong.

After research I found out that can damage the neck?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Thanks for the suggestions but the problem remains.

edit; im thinking of getting a dean edge and a darkstar?
Last edited by BassAssassin at Nov 10, 2008,
If you are so enamored of Gibson basses, look on line for used Aria and other manufacturer clones of the more popular Gibson bass. I knew of someone who had a left handed SG copy from Aria.
Quote by BassAssassin

Learn to play right handed? My friend who is just starting to play bass is realizing that if he'd started out playing right handed he would've had no problem learning. But he had this weird thing about playing left handed.

Anyway you chose to play left handed, and as such your choice of bass guitars to use is limited.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by BassAssassin

I don't understand. What's the problem? Yes, we've established that Gibson doesn't make left handed basses. Frankly, they barely make any right handed basses. Several of the aforementioned companies cater to lefties.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
warwicks are bla and p/j basses are so- standard it's like i want a bass that i can totally be proud of you know and-- the limited range of commercially available -cool- left handed basses cannot be denied
Quote by BassAssassin
warwicks are bla and p/j basses are so- standard it's like i want a bass that i can totally be proud of you know and-- the limited range of commercially available -cool- left handed basses cannot be denied

Maybe that has something to do with how few left handed players are out there. It's Capitalism 101. If there is no desire, no need; then no one will make it.

I don't blame you for not knowing that, a lot of people missed Capitalism 101 long ago...
Quote by sargasm
Quote by thefitz
So... Gibson doesn't make left handed basses... but Fender and Warwick does.

I wish I was left handed.

EDIT: The fact that it isn't worth Gibson's time to make left-handed basses says it all. And did you know if you put the strap button on the other (ie. only) horn of the Thunderbird, it'd actually balance and play better than a Thunderbird set up properly?

fitzy wins again

on topic: i think ive seen some leftie ibanez's
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
I'm left handed but I chose to play right handed, and I don't understand what the problem must have been with doing that in the first place for you. You've put yourself in a much more difficult position, with there being a more limited (although not a bad thing) selection, and basses usually being more expensive.

But to be honest, This makes me question right-handed people. My left hand is the dominant one, so I use it for fretting. Why would you choose to use it for plucking, the easier of the two?
It's the same as eating with a knife and fork, you right handed people eat with your fork in your right hand, but then swap hands when using only a fork. What's wrong with you people?
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I am left handed and have all my life playing Bass right handed because of the same issue as you =[ Though it depends on how you started learning i trully believe, i tried a left handed bass once and i was on the "wtf" side the whole time while playing it =[
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Tokai makes left handed les paul style basses, and anything is better than Gibson!
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
if i had a warwick i would be so proud of myself, that would be awesome. also if you decide to learn right handed you have extra power in your fretting hand which is extremely handy if you decide to learn to play bass the 'right' way
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by shotbythepope
Tokai makes left handed les paul style basses, and anything is better than Gibson!

Wow, thank you!!

Best advice in this thread!
Quote by Jonn0
I'm left handed but I chose to play right handed, and I don't understand what the problem must have been with doing that in the first place for you. You've put yourself in a much more difficult position, with there being a more limited (although not a bad thing) selection, and basses usually being more expensive.

But to be honest, This makes me question right-handed people. My left hand is the dominant one, so I use it for fretting. Why would you choose to use it for plucking, the easier of the two?
It's the same as eating with a knife and fork, you right handed people eat with your fork in your right hand, but then swap hands when using only a fork. What's wrong with you people?

I'm the same, lefty plays like a righty.. and I totally get what you mean. Why *do* people usually fret with their recessive hand?

Oh, and to the original poster.. Just.. No. If your reason for picking a bass is because it looks bad ass, then you're not a real musician. I can understand wanting a really cool and different bass.. the best looking bass will always be a factor, but it should definately be the last factor to consider.

There's nothing "standard" about an American made Fender or MusicMan bass though. Everything about those bad boys just screams quality and craftsmanship - hold one in your hands and you'll come around. And anyway, almost every violin, cello, trumpet, saxophone, banjo and clarinet more or less look like each other, so why is it such a big deal to have a unique looking bass?

Edit: Oh, and you'll always attract looks no matter what bass you pick anyway, lefty musicians tend to stick out and look unique regardless of their axe.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3

I've heard an argument about this relating to guitar, and it was basically that once you've got basic left-hand technique down, it doesn't change too much - you just go faster, maybe bend and vibrato the odd note, and so on. However, using your right (better) hand, you've got a lot more control over how hard you hit notes, more control over speed (allowing you to do things like alternate picking/tremolo picking).

Basically, unless you tap your right hand is playing every single note (ok, ok, hammer-ons, but pretty much).
Your left hand, however, might not move for an entire bar. Your left hand does more work, in that you have to press harder with it than you pick, but your right hand does the more subtle stuff that needs greater control.

That's the argument I've heard, anyway. I think it applies more to guitar, with the strings closer together and thus more control needed, the almost universal use of picks, and the use of chord shapes for a lot of music.
Quote by Haanz
Oh, and to the original poster.. Just.. No. If your reason for picking a bass is because it looks bad ass, then you're not a real musician. I can understand wanting a really cool and different bass.. the best looking bass will always be a factor, but it should definately be the last factor to consider.

There's nothing "standard" about an American made Fender or MusicMan bass though. Everything about those bad boys just screams quality and craftsmanship - hold one in your hands and you'll come around. And anyway, almost every violin, cello, trumpet, saxophone, banjo and clarinet more or less look like each other, so why is it such a big deal to have a unique looking bass?

Edit: Oh, and you'll always attract looks no matter what bass you pick anyway, lefty musicians tend to stick out and look unique regardless of their axe.

Thanks, but I was trying to get -out of playing a pbass in the first post--

And for all the 'just play righty' guys, no, just no.
What about Stingrays and Bongos? They make those in left-handed's and you can bet your ass you don't see a MusicMan Bongo everywhere.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by BassAssassin
Thanks, but I was trying to get -out of playing a pbass in the first post--

I wasn't saying that you should go righty =[

I say POWER TO THE LEFTY!~ Maybe you would LOVE a custom made bass (Imagine, the feel and looks that you want and nothing else) Or a left handed Bongo that will kick ass in no time~ It's true you don't see a bongo everyday hehe.

And me playing righty while been lefty is just part of the destiny, same as i play baseball like a righty too =.o Didn't had a left bass so just had to be happy with what i could get >.<

For you it isn't the same, get the bongo they just ROCKKKKKK.

Micheal Anthony plays righty, even though he's lefty, and he's... um... a happy rich man.

Anyway, I'm absolutely DYING to know why you find Warwicks blah, especially since you're after a Les Paul bass, which looks like an acoustic guitar with a cutaway and long-ass neck.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Try playing righty... you'll have more dexterity on the neck w/ your left hand. THat's what I did and it's worked very well so far, it just takes a little getting used to.
Quote by Insanitydenied
I try to be the quiet musician type, but there's too much to say.

OF THE BASS MILITIA - PM Nutter_101 to join

FUCK PARAMORE.

HOT LESBIANS

Centered, Bitch.

Yes, I'm only 14. So?
Quote by BassAssassin

How about give a reason why not?
It makes perfect sense to.

I just had a funny mental image of what a lefty gibson bass would look like, all the hardware would be backwards.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by BassAssassin
Ok, so I couldn't get a thunderbird. Fine. I couldn't get an explorer either, alright, I'm ok. But just now I realize that I can't get a frikken left handed les paul bass either?!

This is a problem?

...seriously Gibson basses are not worth it... Gibson suck at making basses and even worse at providing customer service for them. Your P-Bass is 100 times better than any of these
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by slaptasticdave

I just had a funny mental image of what a lefty gibson bass would look like, all the hardware would be backwards.

Thing is, this way round may have less neck dive!
You just took fluffing to a whole NEW level. *Random game lvl up sound plays*

That made me crack lol

I really mean it, try righty, the worst thing that could happen is that you don't like it lol JUST DO EET..

Page 1 of 2