My band is curently going trough kind of a "rough patch" I didnt think it would happen only 3 months in, but alas it has. On one hand me, the lead and drummer are getting tight as hell, even got an original (the only one as of now) down in about two hours, and i have never had so much fun before, than i do at band practice now. But theres a problem. The basist. He almost never shows up for practice, suposedly hes grounded during the week, and he spends almost all of the weekends at his girlfriends ("Dude, i cant come shes home alone, if you know what i mean *wink, wink*"). And if he actualy shows up for practice, he does an endles bass solo in Am, regardles of what song we are playing. In other words, he doesnt even learn the songs. So now im pretty much fed up with him, the lead has already given up and never calls him for practice, and the drummer is displeased with him to say the least. And what gets me the most is that we have more fun without him, than when hes around.
So i gues the logical thing would be to throw this guy out. The problem is, there are no other basists around, and if we lose this one, the drummer may quit, and i dont reall want that, since this is one of the most fun things i have done in my life. So, should i just leave the things as they are, as in have him do what he wants (eg. come to practice every 3 weeks and solo endlesly), and search for a new basist in the meantime, or try to knock some sense into him (wich would probably lead to alot of figting betwen me and him). Maybe a cimbination of both (knock sense into him and search for a new basist). Or should we just kick him out and risk the band faling apart. Maybe getting a gig would encourage him to practice more? So any suggestions would be much apreciated. Thank you.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
kick him out and learn to play bass yourself..
✠I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few
✠Adolf Hitler✠
that would pretty much mean buying all new equipment. And, i love guitar. Why should i force myself to play an instrument i dont enjoy. That would kinda take the fun out of it.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
If you are willing to keep the band together and still enjoy playing, that might be your only option. I am in a similar situation only no bassist and I am about to strap on the bass even though I am a guitar player. A Band is like a team, and sometimes you gotta take one for that team.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
and maybe you might even enjoy bass more than guitar... because lets face it a GOOD bass player is harder to find then a good guitar player...
✠I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few
✠Adolf Hitler✠
I do ocasionaly grab a bass when i play with some other band and all the guitars are ocupied . I do the whole root note thing and throw in some nice improviside parts at chord changes (dont actualy know the englis therm for that), but it still isnt as fun or satisfying or something (dont really know how to put it into words). I may be over reacting but still, i dont wanna do that unles theres really no other choice.
Dude, Bass is just as fun as guitar, just don't play typical boring bass lines, just strap on some high distortion and you can get a sound out of a bass thats like a Bass+Rythym guitar, its pretty cool.
Quote by gorkyporky
I do ocasionaly grab a bass when i play with some other band and all the guitars are ocupied . I do the whole root note thing and throw in some nice improviside parts at chord changes (dont actualy know the englis therm for that), but it still isnt as fun or satisfying or something (dont really know how to put it into words). I may be over reacting but still, i dont wanna do that unles theres really no other choice.

There isn't any other choice, because you've already made your decision
Playing bass for the sake of having a bassist isn't what you set out to do, right? So straight up the way the band works has been changed.
It is a minor bump in the road, there's no need to rush, stick it out and wait for another bassist you get along with.
Im kinda inclined to this option. Also, im gonna try to convince my friend to play with us (he plays bass but says he doesnt want to be in a band). And if worst comes to worst i can still pick up a bass myself.
WHen you say there are pretty much no other bass players around, does that mean you've already put up flyers in music shops/schools, posted on craigslist or in the paper, and checked any musician networking sites for your area already? Get your butt in gear and reaaaaaly check to make sure, chances are there are other bass players around. If there's one drummer in your area, musician arithmetic says there must be at least 3 bass players and 45 guitar players around.

Dump this guy. Don't pick up bass yourself if that's not what you really want to do. You'll have to play catch up with everyone else in the band and-as you pointed out-drop well over $1000us on gear if you want a giggable set up. It's just not worth it.
Well the ads for a basist are posted on pretty much every music site i can think of, and i have spread the word around the best i could. Also, we managed to get a gig (not 100% yet, but it probably will happen) on the 19th of December. So we gave him an ultimatum: if he doesnt show up at next practice, we are gonna kick his ass out.
I like the ultimatum idea. Perhaps the gig will encourage him to practice. At least, that was the case with my band. We had a month, we practiced, we got it done. Hopefully, it's the same for your band. Good luck
Hello there.

I lurk a lot.

It's what I do best.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
If you are willing to keep the band together and still enjoy playing, that might be your only option. I am in a similar situation only no bassist and I am about to strap on the bass even though I am a guitar player. A Band is like a team, and sometimes you gotta take one for that team.

Yea, that's what a last resort for my band is. Our bass player does nothing but complain, and if it comes to it, i'm going to take over on bass. So go buy a bass, and do it if it really means that much to you to keep the band together. Or if you can convince the drummer that what your bass player is doing is wrong, and then he wouldn't feel the need to leave also if you kick him out.
Yeah, i was positively suprised by the drumer, because the conversation last practice got onto the subject of what we will do if we kick the basist out, and he said that the three of us will just have to do. So i gues hes staying in
The best bassists IMHO are the ones who picked up an instrument to play bass. Not failed guitar players.

Get a new bassist. There are always msucians, ask in music stores, places that give lessons, post a craiglist add.

find a new one and ditch this guy. He sounds like a tool.
Do you have a singer? you said you, the lead, and drummer but no singer?
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by Fritz621

He likes playing guitar, not the bass, they are 2 diff instruments.

Quote by gorkyporky
Im kinda inclined to this option. Also, im gonna try to convince my friend to play with us (he plays bass but says he doesnt want to be in a band). And if worst comes to worst i can still pick up a bass myself.

I wouldn't pick up the bass if you don't enjoy it. The whole reason you play is because you enjoy it. Don't force yourself to play bass.

I say this because

1. Bassists think differently when coming up with parts (or so my bassist has told me) than guitarists do. He told me that everytime he sees a guitarist play bass it sounds nothing close compared to a bassist playing bass.

2. This would require you to buy a bass and bass amp and stop playing your guitar for the most part. Not something you will be willing to do, at least I don't think.

So I would tell em to straighten up, I've had sorta the same prob with my bassist (him soloing constantly) but once I get him sitting down he can write some pretty cool stuff with me.
Quote by Corruption
Do you have a singer? you said you, the lead, and drummer but no singer?

I do the singing mostly, and the lead has a couple of songs.

Quote by Guitarfreak777
He told me that everytime he sees a guitarist play bass it sounds nothing close compared to a bassist playing bass.

So, we probably have band practice today, il let you guys know how it goes if he actualy shows up.
Quote by Highwaytohell
The best bassists IMHO are the ones who picked up an instrument to play bass. Not failed guitar players.

Get a new bassist. There are always msucians, ask in music stores, places that give lessons, post a craiglist add.

find a new one and ditch this guy. He sounds like a tool.

I play bass out of nessecity. if your good at guitar then you can play bass.
Ok, everyone just stop telling me i should play bass myself. I want to play guitar and tahts what im gonna do.
On topic, this is what happened today. We no longer have a basist. But, suprisingly we didnt actualy kick him out, but he quit himself. Aparently he had something against me since i critisized his constant soloing. So he we had practice at 7pm and he came to the practice place at 4.45pm (we practice at the other guitarists house) and told the other guitarist that hes leaving the band, and aparently it was because of me. Suposedly because i was contantly talking dirty behind his back, but at practice i didnt even look at him, just stand before the mic and stare into the wall. And theres the thing about soloing (it seems i realy bruised his big ego on that one) and how i always ripped on him about not coming to practice, eventough it wasnt even his fault ("No dude i cant come today, im with mah girl!"). He said that he would continue in te band if they actualy kicked me out (wich frankly, i would not be pissed about, since i know a band is better of having one guitarist and a basist than 2 guitars), wich they didnt do, since everybody in the band pretty much dislikes him. So, at about 5.30 i got a call from my friend that we no longer have a basist. So, if you happen to know any bass players from slovenia, please send me some contact info.
Honestly him going is good, if he's not tight with the band (which he wont be by solo-ing all the time) then its going to affect the whole sound.
It sounds like he was in the band so he could say he was in a band. Good luck finding a new bassist.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
You'll have to make do with what you can find and if you need bass that bad either you or lead will have to borrow/buy some gear and play bass for a while.